• If you ever see that the Allies have enough threat to destroy your Atlantic fleet, play conservatively and pull back into the Baltic.  No reason to lose the fleet when it helps so much.  You’ll never lose Norway with a good Baltic presence.

• Instead of spending $30 on a major IC, 30 of the infantry you build each turn in Germany could be mechanized infantry.  Those replacements will keep your infantry/artillery and armor/tactical combos hitting strong at the front as it marches east 1 territory per turn.  With that moster coming North, the Russians might move units from Ukraine to Moscow and then the Italians mop up the south.

• I agree with Vance, OOB Major IC Romania was key to Barbarossa, but in +3.9 the Major Berlin and easily-capturable Minor Ukraine means that you don’t need the production.

• @Alsch91:

If you ever see that the Allies have enough threat to destroy your Atlantic fleet, play conservatively and pull back into the Baltic.  No reason to lose the fleet when it helps so much.  You’ll never lose Norway with a good Baltic presence.

Quoted for Truth.  Same can be said about just about any Navy for that matter.  The units are too expensive to throw to the wind, except is the most desperate of measures.

• If your playing Alpha +3

Turn one

1. Sink UK ships and build some navy and/or bombers. (like Sub,DD and bmb save4)
    2. Dont loose mecanized inf or tanks vs Frace! Mabye drop normandy? (you can still pop out 10 trannies if you save 4)
    3. Drop Yugoslavia. Or attack it for one round and retreat to Romania with South Germany stack.
    4. Move every unit possible into position to take AND hold baltic round 2

Turn two

1. Take baltic and buy 10artillery and some other land or air units depending on the situation.
    2. Take and hold baltic.

Turn three

1. Buy mostly mobile units and air (if needed)
    2. Take, hold if possible, Novgorod.

Italy can help with attacking from the south via Iran!

You should be on your way to Moscow soon enough!

• @techroll42:

I agree with Vance, OOB Major IC Romania was key to Barbarossa, but in +3.9 the Major Berlin and easily-capturable Minor Ukraine means that you don’t need the production.

I like to call that South Ukraine minor “Germany’s artillery factory”.  Mech from East Poland match up rather nicely with  artillery from South Ukraine.

• It’s very similar to in Spring 1942 UK building a Japanese factory in India, or US building a Japanese factory in China or Sinkiang, except Russia is stuck with Ukraine (although it does slow German advances in the south a bit I guess).

• If germany is going to build an IC, it should be in North Ukraine.  The pair of Ukraine ICs could spit out 6 artillery per turn until the round just before you plan to take Moscow, when they each build 6 armor.

• Someone builds the IC and airbase in Romania to then build transport and secure Caucasus. I have never tried it though.

• @ErwinRommel:

Someone builds the IC and airbase in Romania to then build transport and secure Caucasus. I have never tried it though.

Better off just taking the Ukraine IC… For the resources invested (IC, AB, Trn and Ftr to protect them) you could have spent that on units to take Ukraine and have a better forward operating IC with threats for the Caucasus, Stalingrad and Moscow.

• Yes I agree with you on that, although an airbase in Greece and minor in Romania is a pretty cool strategy too.

• Barborossa first is about 2 things: Speed and complexs.  Don’t listen to old school revised players who point out that two infantry will always defeat one tank.  That maybe true if the units are fightning in a phone booth (no movement), but you need fast tanks and mechs to keep Russia on its heels.  Attacking on G3 in optimal, as it allows you to return your tanks and mechs from France and gives you that large purchase with the plundered French money.  When you invade Russia, secure the Ukraine complex and Lennigrad by the 2nd turn of your invasion.  After that, press south grab Stalingrad, and the rich IPCs of Southern Russia.  Again, speed is essential, mechs and tanks will keep Russia on its heels better than slow ass art/inf.  Those units are better used to defend W-Europe when the allies start landing.

• Attack on G2!
    Buy first inf art (slow units)
    Then buy mec,tnk (they will be able to catch up)

• If I’m not going for the G6/7 Moscow bum rush, I prefer to buy mostly inf/art every single turn in Berlin.
    It’s not as exciting, but good lord does it get the job done.  And it does it much more cheaply - that is, you’ll be able to buy subs/planes in the west every turn as well.  It’s a much stronger long-term strategy.
    Eventually Russia just gets crushed by the waves of German forces.

• I like mech units at a point, but you should be supplanting your force with inf/art from the frontline USSR IC’s.

• I know its been done, but I’ll give a quick rundown of my strategy…

G1: buy a minor IC in Romania and some naval supplements
    G2: 5 inf 5 art in Berlin, and 3 art in Romania
    G3: Same as above
    G4: Begin the invasion
    EVERY TURN AFTER: Build 5 inf and 5 art in Berlin, and 3 inf in Romania
    G?: Once you feel you will soon be ready to take Moscow, build mechs and tanks in the Russian and Romania factories.

With a constant supply of 10+ units heading to Russia each turn, the Soviet Union will have to fall back, and eventually will crumble. Any money left over should be used to form an Atlantic wall. If Japan can keep America busy, Germany will have sufficient defenses when the US finally arrives.

• Just finished a game crushing moscow on G9

built 3 rounds of 5 INF/5 ART from berlin G2-G4

Then tanks from Novgorod russia ICs when i got them and built plenty of tacs when i could to pair up with tanks on the final assault

honestly the key is strategic bomb the crap outta USSR factorys
    on USSR 7 he could only build from volgograd (3 mechs) and on R8 after SBR repair in moscow he built 2 INF lol so scary

was pretty one sided

Ive never tried massing tanks/mechs
    thing is with inf/art you have enough money to fortify france from being taken by the allies before you take moscow
    if you can take moscow but lose france at the same time with berlin under immediate threat then whats the point lol ?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

If you commit to a strategy, of Control over the Ukraine, and Novogorod, coupled with a factory in Romania,  you should be able to simply OUTBUILD the Russians until the game is over, as long as you can keep your income relative and increasing.

13 units a turn will put them down, and you’ll have a few extra resources to defend europe with.

That said,  building 50/50 inf and art, isn’t viable.  The ratio should be different.  You’re going to losing infantry, and having artiller around with nothing to support, doesn’t help anyone but your enemy.

I suggest 6 inf 4 art  save a buck for something else.  If you have the money, you should also be building an aircraft unit everyturn.  A fighter OR Bomber.

My other favourite is this… 3 inf UKR,  1/2 mec 1/2 arm ROM  a slow stack build in UKR,  with reinforcements in Berlin, trickling in via the baltic.

• you make a good point about INF/ART ratio gargantua,

my question would be what is the best move for USSR when germany is full barbarosa starting G2?

My move has always been to pull back everything, make him move slowly but never leave my stacks vulnerable, there are hardly any battles untill moscow at or after G9. USSR will have 75+ INF and in my opinion have maximized the time it takes for Germany to take moscow, this is taking into consideration that germany is moving very slow also never leaving stacks exposed and if there are any battles (USSR is forcing germany to attack its stacks) they are usualy pretty heavily in favor of the germans.

By G9 you can have 12 INF from east russia in moscow plus the 2 extra AA from there….

if germany ever slips up, or doesnt build enough land units into moscow then USSR counter attacks will be brutal

• The Inf/art ratio changes depending on what turn it is. On the first turn, I build 6 art and 4 inf in Berlin, and then on the next 3 or so turns it is 5 inf and 5 art. The reason I try to maintain equality with the ground force is because Russia usually turtles (Like Uncrustable states) and doesn’t have many big battles until they are pressured right up to Moscow, so still have a heavy dose of infantry that needs artillery support If Russia plays more aggressively and I end up losing infantry, I will be able to counter-attack more effectively when all my stacks are attacking at 2. Its worth the extra buck to have an extra 2 for 2 instead of 2 for 1. Either way it screws Russia over.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m