French Set…need help to finalize set.

• lol and that’s the problem because in my opinion France can be done in one set as long as includes a French version of everything that’s on the game board at set up. So no French BB or CV but we would get french tanks and planes. Seems people are split on the issue some want the set to be strong navy others want only what is needed to put french units on the board.

• @Yavid:

lol and that’s the problem because in my opinion France can be done in one set as long as includes a French version of everything that’s on the game board at set up. So no French BB or CV but we would get french tanks and planes. Seems people are split on the issue some want the set to be strong navy others want only what is needed to put french units on the board.

But if that’s all you want then there’s no problem with oob, since it won’t be on the board long anyway… I want French units so I can experiment with set-ups DIFFERENT from oob scenerios, especially because one major thing that I use war-games for is as teaching tools for my students.

• oh no I hate blue russians. makes me think the purges depressed the russians and to get away they ran to paris to defend the place from the germans.

• @Yavid:

oh no I hate blue russians. makes me think the purges depressed the russians and to get away they ran to paris to defend the place from the germans.

Well, at this scale a T-34/76 could pass for a Somua S-35, a Yak-1 or a MiG-3 could pass for an M.S. 406, or, for that matter a D. 520 (which had its cockpit further back like the MiG, but was said to be so similar to the Yak-1 in flying characteristics that Free French pilots trained on it in England to get ready to fly Yaks in Russia…) � The artillery is really a US 105 mm, which has a fairly generic Field Artillery look in any case, and they don’t start a out with any Mechs anyway, so what’s the big deal with the land units? � It’s the naval units where France was most distinctive (and formidable, actually) and it is where using Soviet units most short-changes them!

• @DrLarsen:

@Yavid:

oh no I hate blue russians. makes me think the purges depressed the russians and to get away they ran to paris to defend the place from the germans.

Well, at this scale a T-34/76 could pass for a Somua S-35, a Yak-1 could pass for an M.S. 406, or, for that matter a D. 520 (which had its cockpit further back like the MiG but was said to be so similar in flying characteristics to the Yak-1 that Free French pilots trained on it in England to get ready to fly Yaks in Russia…)�  The artillery is really a US 105 mm, which has a fairly generic Field Artillery look in any case, and they don’t start a out with any Mechs anyway, so what’s the big deal with the land units?�  It’s the naval units where France was most distinctive (and formidable, actually) and it is where using Soviet units most short-changes them!

Oh, and keeping in mind that they do have an oob Infantry that looks pretty good imho.

• '16 Customizer

@DrLarsen:

@DrLarsen:

@Yavid:

Well, at this scale a T-34/76 could pass for a Somua S-35, a Yak-1 could pass for an M.S. 406, or, for that matter a D. 520 (which had its cockpit further back like the MiG but was said to be so similar in flying characteristics to the Yak-1 that Free French pilots trained on it in England to get ready to fly Yaks in Russia…)� � The artillery is really a US 105 mm, which has a fairly generic Field Artillery look in any case, and they don’t start a out with any Mechs anyway, so what’s the big deal with the land units?� � It’s the naval units where France was most distinctive (and formidable, actually) and it is where using Soviet units most short-changes them!

Oh, and keeping in mind that they do have an oob Infantry that looks pretty good imho.

Yeah, the OOB infantry is nice… maybe an action pose would be better, but they’re not bad!

I think there clearly is a divide here haha. There are many naval pieces that stay on the board, as there are infantry pieces. So a whole set would be nice, but I think at bare minimum there needs to be a new tank sculpt, a new artillery sculpt, a new fighter sculpt, and a new cruiser and destroyer.

• I want a top to bottom redesign of french units. That means making so there are ZERO blue russians. But if forced to scale back for whatever reason then I think it should be just what is put on the board at set up. I would be fine with the small set i’m talking about. I would be OMG excited for a complete set.

• Now that 2nd edition is going to be released in a few weeks. And again we are stuck with blue russians. Am I the only one that is now more excited for HBG’s french set than I was before?

• @Yavid:

Now that 2nd edition is going to be released in a few weeks. And again we are stuck with blue russians. Am I the only one that is now more excited for HBG’s french set than I was before?

You’re certainly not alone.  My plastic storage box for France has got empty compartments already reserved for HBG’s French pieces when they eventually appear.

• lol my storage boxes get setup for the new HBG pieces as soon as they are ancounced.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m