Shore defenses for naval bases

• The Guns of Navarone.
    At the beginning of the naval battle that occurs before an amphibious assault, any naval base bordering the sea zone fires @1 for each enemy surface warship.  For every 1 that is rolled, a surface warship is damaged or removed before the attacker rolls dice for remaining units in the naval battle.  If there is also an airbase adjacent to the sea zone, scramble orders are announced before the naval base does this defensive fire.  Naval bases with 3 or more damage points cannot do defensive fire.

• sounds interesting, might try it my next game

• Just an idea for a house rule.  It might help a little bit it Germany goes for London.

• '14

I think this is an excellent rule, probably see more naval bases purchased in a game. Would help Germany defend off a Normandy invasion!

• I remember a few years back, I proposed a version of this on the WoTC forums, save for it was with pure artillery by a coastal zone. The problem then was that just because it is a coastal zone, doesn’t mean that ships will land where the guns are, the same with the naval base.

However, I like the idea still. Perhaps a seperate unit that depends on the operation of a naval base?

• TripleA '12

I like this idea too. :-) But how about this for a slight deviation: a Naval Base fires once at every Cruiser and Battleship in the invading fleet and any scores of a 1 merely prevent that ship from conducting Shore Bombardment - but the invasion still goes ahead anyway, i.e. Transports still unload. Not so harsh as damaging a Battleship or sinking a Cruiser. This would make the coastal defences more of a deterrant than a deadly threat.

As well as that, perhaps any 1s scored against invading Transports just prevent those Transports from unloading this turn? In this case the attacking player would still have to commit any un-hit Transports to the embattled territory. Or perhaps this is too harsh? Just some ideas.

What we need is a dedicated Coastal Artillery/Fortifications piece. Then perhaps it could work in conjunction with a friendly Naval Base in the same territory that is under Amphibious Assault, using a combination of deter/kill abilities.

• What we need is a dedicated Coastal Artillery/Fortifications piece. Then perhaps it could work in conjunction with a friendly Naval Base in the same territory that is under Amphibious Assault, using a combination of deter/kill abilities.

Actually, I was thinking of using D-Day’s Blockhouses in Global 1940. I was thinking cost 5, 1 surprise fire per blockhouse at 2 at landing units, defends at 3 vs. Amphibious Assaults, defends at 1 otherwise.

• Good thinking - I’ve often thought that coastal zones and islands need to be tougher to take.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m