Is it possible to win as the allies after sealion?

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

I find that if Germany goes for sealion on 3, then you got to be aggressive with USSR, taking out Finland, Norway, even getting down into the Balkans.  Germany can usually push you back, but a couple turns making 55+ for the USSR adds up quick. And if the US can get back UK on US 5 or US 6, with Germany just starting to make inroads into the USSR, then its all over for Germany.

• @Cmdr:

@theROCmonster:

Game must be broken if it takes the allies to win two 97% battles to have the advantage…

In my mind, if you say the game is broken, then you are saying that more than 80% of the time one side loses.  That’s why I tend not to use the term broken.

Can the allies win after sea lion?  Yes.  Hell yes even.  The trick is giving the DEI to India so they can reinforce Russia.
    Can the allies win after double sea lion?  Yes, but it’s a lot harder.  You cannot leave anything to chance, engage in battles you are certain to win, and avoid those where the issue is in doubt, grab anything you can to increase your income (hence why I advise the axis to avoid taking anything they dont need) so that your financial power can beat the Axis powers, despite being an ally down.

Jen I’m being serious and i am not trying to bash or insult you, so don’t take it that way but:

Wait a second here?  If Japan is such a huge power that can take India on 3 every game how is India sending units to Russia?

I said the same thing in a post about India sending units to help Russia and/or go take back Egypt and you were one of a few who said it was hogwash and it couldn’t happen and wouldn’t help. You also state that India falls by 5 for sure every single game.

I’m a little confused here!?!!  Which is it? India falls or India can survive?  Or are you just saying if Japan doesn’t go for India? Then I understand.

On the topic:

I believe that if the allies take out the german fleet after the sack of London it is 60/40 allies.  If the allies don’t take out the German fleet after London falls then I would agree it may give the axis a slight edge but victory is still not guaranteed.

Every game I have played F2F India has a slim chance of falling but the Japanese lose a lot of units in te process. In the rounds leading up to the attack on India, Hawaii, Philippines, and sydney are all being stacked. Then there is the two rounds Japan has to take to get to Sydney or Hawaii giving two more rounds of stacking. I haven’t seen the pacific fall as easily as people tend to say.

It’s next to impossible to stop the German sea lion on 3, but there is that slight chance that it can be stopped.  I believe that the allies in a joint effort can take out the German fleet after it happens though.

I have also seen the Americans come in and take Rome and Paris back ignoring London. In that same game I saw India UK take back Egypt. The VCs in Europe kept going tit for tat but once America had the foothold in Europe it was over for the axis.

So I do believe the allies can win after sealion.

• TripleA

Personally as russia I don’t bother with the north side as germany has transports. I try to push mouth with all my units.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

India can be saved by the allies in the following manner:

Round 1:  2 Fighters, 1 Tactical Bomber move into position from Russia
    Round 2:  2 Fighters, Tactical Bomber move to India, 3 fighters from last round’s build move into position
    Round 3:  3 new fighters from round 1’s builds move to India

Successfully saved India

That’s an extreme case, but it demonstrates that India can, at least on paper, be saved.  What else can the allies do to save India?  I leave that up to the community to discover (I can’t give away ALL my trade secrets!  I am in the league, you know!!!)

On any given Sunday, it’s highly plausible that Japan, dedicating all their resources, can take India before America can get in the war and highly unlikely that India will fall if it does not fall prior to round 5, saving the case where the Indian player makes a huge tactical mistake.  In my opinion - of course.

• I only take the ftr and tac from Moscow. The rest of my strat is all from the PAC and Africa.

Are you buying more planes with Russia for the help?

@TheOne:

I only take the ftr and tac from Moscow. The rest of my strat is all from the PAC and Africa.

Are you buying more planes with Russia for the help?Â

Personally?  no.  The Indians are on their bloody own, it’s their own darn fault for not preparing right, I want my Russians in infantry form, thank you very much.  However, the outline WOULD effectively stop Crush Calcutta, right?

It’s the only way I’ve seen that actually STOPs Crush Calcutta, all the rest can divert Crush Calcutta into devastating attacks on other Allied units.  I’ve bagged the entire Australian fleet and the entire Australian airforce in exchange for not doing Calcutta before because the moron placed the fighters on Java - well DUH!  Of course I’m killing your 3 undefended fighters, be glad to use 4 shore bombardments and 4 infantry to kill them, thank you very much!  Oh, and you have nothing to defend Australia with?  Oh well, guess I’ll take that too.

The cure should NOT be worse than the disease!

• '22 '19 '18

The worst thing you can do as Russia on a sealion game is to push into Germany.  This takes away Russias greatest advantage which is distance to Moscow.  What I do with Russia is build inf and art at a ratio of 2 to 1 with a tank or fighter each round and pull my troops off the coasts.  By time Germany is heading toward Moscow I have 50-60 inf with art, tanks and fighters which ensures they don’t get far.

• Cond that really doesn’t make any sense.
    Pushing into German territory only ensures that once Germany finally pushes you back to Moscow, you’ll have more infantry defending than you would otherwise.

• I would think that you’d want to push in as Russia if you could. That way it takes longer for Germany to get to Moscow. PLUS, the NO of 3 ipcs per German territory.

In your experience (this is a question for everyone), when Germany does Sealion, how often does Russia steamroll (or eventually) steamroll Germany? ever? sometimes?

• Well unless Germany screws up in a big way, Russia won’t be able to actually defeat Germany.
    But good Russian play can keep you in German territories for around 3 turns, which is huge for the Allies.

• Wow, really? alright note to self, keep Russians in German territory for 3 turns.

• TripleA

think of it this way. Germans can’t jack UK whatever russians are on the front lines in the same turn.

He already invested so heavily in boats so you frontloading all your men is super gosu.

Even if he turns around and tries to jack russia up. 1) you saved UK 2) UK can send stuff to you to save your butt.

I mean the guy just bought how many transports to not go through with UK takedown? I garauntee he won’t get a +TUV value as high as that killing the ground you frontload.

So yeah trading german territories is big for russia. You got to push.

Again I just feel that the germans are walking out of UK with too much stuff.

• '22 '19 '18

@Alsch91:

Cond that really doesn’t make any sense.
    Pushing into German territory only ensures that once Germany finally pushes you back to Moscow, you’ll have more infantry defending than you would otherwise.

Your right, Russia does need to push into the German boarder territories to get the IPC bonus, but I never commit my main force into Germany because it makes it easier for Germany to destroy.

• @Alsch91:

Well unless Germany screws up in a big way, Russia won’t be able to actually defeat Germany.
    But good Russian play can keep you in German territories for around 3 turns, which is huge for the Allies.

what do you consider good Russian play?

I do not feel you need to commit the main Russian attack force.  If Germany goes Sea Lion, then odds are good their front is weak for a few rounds (until they can rebuild AND move into position) so a few infantry should be able to snipe 2 or 3 out of: Poland, Hungary and Romania.  At least once or twice. (Fighter support, of course.)

• @cond1024:

Your right, Russia does need to push into the German boarder territories to get the IPC bonus, but I never commit my main force into Germany because it makes it easier for Germany to destroy.Â

Naturally.  As both Germany and Russia, you never want to put your main stack in a position to be destroyed.  The only exception is when you’re Russia and you’re in Moscow.

After Sealion, Russia should stack up in East Poland and trade the three bordering German territories as long as possible.

If you can, move forward into Romania, and add a couple Balkan territories to your list of places to trade.
    But never do it if it puts you in a position to be destroyed, or if Germany tries to outflank you by moving forward.

@Gragor:

Wow, really? alright note to self, keep Russians in German territory for 3 turns.

That’s just a guess, just stay forward as long as you Germany’s main forces allow you to.  Don’t stay so long that Germany can kill your main army.

@ronrye:

what do you consider good Russian play?

Just playing with good tactics - keeping your main forces together in one group, staying out of range of German forces that can destroy your army, and trading territories smartly.

• If Germanys takes London, USSR should be advancing into the Balkans (lots of IPCs down there for the USSR) away from the German Factories and transport fleet. Micro management of stacks is very important here from a Soviet point of view!

• TripleA

you need to shove everything into the balkans and bank as long as possible. Do not buy air, Just push. Germany has to take his men off of UK to confront you. if you kill enough men he will have a smaller drop to take back UK so USA should be able to get a good 16 man drop or something to hold. Then it becomes a matter of saving moscow afterward.

if germany tries to hold UK, he’s an idiot and you should do great in the balkans.

• After Sealion, Germany should almost never lose London.  It simply requires too much to take it back, and Germany needs only spend 9 IPCs a turn to make it a fortress.
    Unless US is going 100% Atlantic, in which case Japan wins.

• I’m playing my first AA1940 Alpha3 game, played Alpha2 twice and OOB a few times as well.  This is also my first time playing by forum which is very interesting, because I usually play against two others and I generally know how they play.

The game I am currently playing by forum, I am the Allies and it’s currently the beginning of Round 5.  Germany will take London and India fell to a J3 crush.  There are a few moves I forgot, but generally things wouldn’t have turned out much different.  I still think I’m in position to turn things around, even though the Axis will be out producing me.  The only thing I have to watch out for now is Russia.  With Germany taking UK’s treasury, I’ll have to hold off Germany and a growing Italy until US can lock in Japan and turn its attention to the Atlantic theater.

I used to think if both England and India falls that the Allies are doomed.  But it depends on what Japan gives up to accomplish the J3 crush.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m