• @calvinhobbesliker:

The Taranto raid is how Egypt is saved.

The Taranto raid is Bhanta fodder for German Luftwaffe so that they have a task instead of a buy in round two.
    Of course is it convenient to sink Italys Navy Round one and has definitly it’s advantage to it.
    But to me it is allways a 50/50 thing, and I rather block and wait for my UK pac ships to reenforce and build an AB and a IC the following rounds.

To me the Taranto raid is not a garant for saving egypt.
    You my convince me otherwise.

• The real afrika corps in the scale of this game is one tank…

• There are alot of great ideas here.  I loke to have the German player take Southern France just so that they can build transports in the Med.  Having a couple of ground units in and Italian Cairo is a great plus.  The So. Franch Transport can get them there easily enough once the Italians have cleared the Med of the allies.  Have Italy build an air base on Gibralter and land German planes there.  Helps defend the Med and gets German ground units to North Africa to help defend.

• I had to jump away in the middle of my last post.  Imagine having to take of customers while at work.  THERE ARE WARS TO BE WON!  I’m sorry…I digress.  Africa is not Germany’s focus but if the war is going well in Russia and western Europe is being secured, Italy could use the help and getting German fighters in an axis-heald Gibralter can help make it a little tougher for the allies to find weak points to make a secure landing.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Not saying focus, but a few units here or there by Germany could really help Italy out…just as having Italian units take territory in Russia so Germany can reinforce with planes can be a godsend for the Germans.

• Under the line.

Spending arround 30 to 40 Ipc’s for German navy in the Med. to not only ship men to Egypt, but provide savety and stronger Axis presence in Africa is after all a good and solid Strategy.
    The things changed since then and today is that players love the flexibilty here and there but still in focus of the primary Goal.

Beat Russia

• The only issue is that it takes time for the axis to make up for that type of investment into the med.  Russia will have a few turns of relief before UK’s hold on Egypt and the med collapses.  It is too hard to tell if the German med strategy is truly viable.

• If Germany got involved in Africa, my thoughts are this:

1. just as in ww2, this could be another slippery slope for the axis because it would cause Germany to divert men from other fronts, or from being purchased for other fronts, which in the long run could have an effect on the German war machine. My question is, is possible victory for the small number of IPCs actually in Africa worth the diversion of troops?

2. my second thought is that Germany would have to create shipping lanes from S.France or Yugo, which could actually increase the importance of islands like Malta, Crete, or Cyprus, which actually seems kinda fun, considering that at least in my games, besides Malta early on, these islands prove to be worthless

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Re: Malta - I like to hit Malta with the Italians because it negates the British NO for virtually the rest of the game.  It’s also so central in the Med that it’s too easy for England to snipe in, hit something and land there - something I might generally over look.

Re: Germany in Egypt - If I can use an Italian transport to shuck 1 Inf, 1 Arm into Egpyt with Germany, as just extra defense I will.  Takes longer, but saves building a transport and having to defend it.  Unless you are going HEAVY anti-England (i.e. thinking of Sea Lion and or waiting on Russia until the last second while focusing on removing England’s teeth and keeping them removed.)  In which case, I am going to want a German fleet in the Med so that the Italian fleet can move along the Middle East Coast and/or Eastern Africa coast for money grabs.  This is more in an effort of Japan winning in the Pacific instead of Europe winning, which, IMNSHO isn’t a decision you wanna make Round 1 anyway (I like to see where the dice fall on Round 1 before picking a campaign strategy.  Let’s me know what I have for Round 2 on the board and you can usually pick up what the Allies plan to attack first by where they move and build.)

Keep in mind, just because the allies do something, or your dice tell you something, does not mean you have to be locked into your campaign options!  Never let a good disaster for your enemy go to waste!

• Very good cmdr Jen.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m