• My daughter moved two spaces with a trasport and destroyer to make an amphibious assault on a territory protected by 2 subs. She also send some land units from an adjacent territory.  I chose to suprise attack with both and scored 2 hits sinking the battleship. Can she retreat and then conduct the land battle or is the transport sunk because it has already used its allotted 2 moves?

Also if I did not score hits I undertand that she would attack my subs with her battale ship but would I be able to defend as well? Rule book says if u roll for a suprise attack you can’t roll in attacking or defending. But what happens if I only have subs? Or if I had one sub and a surface warcraft and missed suprise attack I understand I can’t denfend in that round but do I get to defend in following rounds?  Sorry for such a long question. Just trying to figure this out.

Thanks

• Official Q&A

@gwtwins:

My daughter moved two spaces with a trasport and destroyer to make an amphibious assault on a territory protected by 2 subs. She also send some land units from an adjacent territory.  I chose to suprise attack with both and scored 2 hits sinking the battleship. Can she retreat and then conduct the land battle or is the transport sunk because it has already used its allotted 2 moves?

That depends on whether her ship was a destroyer or a battleship (you mention both).  If it was a destroyer, the two hits would sink both ships.  If it was a battleship, the two hits would sink it, leaving the transport.  In the latter case, the transport would then be able to retreat.  In fact, it should, as it would be lost otherwise.

@gwtwins:

Also if I did not score hits I undertand that she would attack my subs with her battale ship but would I be able to defend as well? Rule book says if u roll for a suprise attack you can’t roll in attacking or defending. But what happens if I only have subs? Or if I had one sub and a surface warcraft and missed suprise attack I understand I can’t denfend in that round but do I get to defend in following rounds?  Sorry for such a long question. Just trying to figure this out.

Surprise strikes occur in each round of combat, not just the first round.  If the battleship survives the surprise strike, it will fire at the subs.  It then has the choice of pressing the attack or retreating.  If it presses the attack, the surviving sub(s) may either submerge or make another surprise strike before the battleship can fire.

• If it was a destroyer, there is no surprise attack, and the destroyer should fire first.

Remember in defense the subs should roll a 1, so a double hit requires “snake eyes” to be rolled.

• Official Q&A

@jiman79:

If it was a destroyer, there is no surprise attack, and the destroyer should fire first.

True, but that doesn’t change the fact that both attacking ships would be lost if both subs hit.  :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m