• Hi All,

I have been lurking for a while; alot of good info on here. I saw a youtube video about sub combat and it got me thinking. If you guys could answer a couple question I would be greatful.

1. If I attack a sub with a fighter and a destroyer and I take a hit then the battle is over correct??

2. If I attack with a fighter destroyer and a transport and take a hit on my destroyer can the defending sub sink my transport or is the battle over again? (Rulebook says transport can only be used as casualty if tehre are no other option. but in this case there is still a fighter.)

3. If I attack a sub with a destroyer and a sub it negates the defending subs suprise attack but does it negate my suprise attack also or do I still get to make a suprise attack with my sub.

4. Lastly, I think  :-D if a destroyer is sunk can the sub then choose to submerge whether defending or attacking??

Sorry for all the question, I know they may seem simple but that video got me thinking. Thanks alot

• 1. If you have an aircraft that has taken off from land and a destroyer, that counts as two units. If ou take a hit, you still have a unit left.

2. I kind of solved this one with the explanation of number one. If a fighter, destroyer, and transport are together, that counts as three units, and fighters cannot be cargo on a transport, as you know. As you also know, if a destroyer is present, then it cancels the Submersible, Surprise Strike, and Cannot be Hit by Air Units characteristics of any sub on the opposite side. If the destroyer is sunk, then these rules are once again in effect. Thus, a sub cannot be hit by your fighter, and the transports are destroyed. The transports are saved only if there are eligible fighting units left in the field.

3. Nope. It says in the rulebook that if a destroyer is present in the battle at all, then BOTH SIDES cannot have their subs doing Surprise Strikes before the main battle.

4.If a destroyer is sunk and only a sub remains, then the sub cannot submerge, whether it is on either side. Subs can submerge only before the main battle, as in Surprise Strike.

That’s it!

• Hobbits.  They lie to you then they steal your stuff.  :roll:

1.  If you attack a sub with a destroyer and a fighter, if you take a hit, the battle is over.  Sub attack is negated by your destroyer.  The attackers fire first.  The defender fires last.  When the defender fires, it can only hit the destroyer.  When the destroyer is gone, the battle is over.

If you managed to hit the sub before the sub hit you, the combat is over and you won.  If you didn’t hit the sub and the sub hit you, the combat is over and you “lost” - anyways you can’t hit the sub with the fighter and you have to retreat.

2.  If you attack with fighter/destroyer/transport, it’s much the same as above.  If you hit the sub before the sub hit you, the combat is over and you won.  The fighter and the transport live.  If you missed the sub and the sub hit you, the combat is over and you lost.  If you stick around at that point, the transport is destroyed.  The transport can only be taken as a casualty if there is no other option, but in this case there IS no other option, as the destroyer is dead and the sub can’t hit anything else, because subs can’t hit air, period.

3.  If you attack a sub with a destroyer and a sub, the defending sub loses surprise attack, and your surprise attack works.  Destroyers only mess with ENEMY subs.

4.  It isn’t enough for a destroyer to be sunk.  ALL enemy destroyers must be removed as casualties before your subs can submerge.

• Windu’s reply was MUCH more accurate.  Don’t read Baggins answers or you’ll be even more confused.

#2 - Once your destroyer is sunk, you would want to retreat your transport immediately.  IT DOES TAKE TIME (like a round of combat) FOR A TRANSPORT TO BE HIT.  The auto-sink is just a way of saving the trouble of rolling dice when the result is inevitable.  But you can retreat before the next round of combat, when your transport would then be sunk if you did not retreat.  You can’t hit the sub, so there is nothing for you to do but retreat.  Maybe your opponent can auto-sink your transport on his next turn (depending on where it retreats back to and what else you have), but at least he will have to go and get it.

• @Bunnies:

Hobbits.  They lie to you then they steal your stuff.   :roll:

Bunnies. Always thinking about carrots  :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m