• Hey guys,

Recently someone gave me a version of A&A Spring 1942 Original. I believe this is the game from 1984, but i’m not sure.
    Me and my friends started to play this game and really liked it, but as everyone else around here we noticed the board was to small.
    Anyway, I started to look on this forum for solutions for the board and was looking into some strategy.
    I got a bit confused though… I see posts everywhere about strategics with destroyers and cruisers… and I’m like, where did THEY come from?
    So it’s obvious I have quite an old version.

Now I would like to ask you guys the following questions:

• Should I buy a new A&A version or upgrade the old one? (with new board and new units)
    • Is the orginal version of A&A Spring 1942 also compatible with the newer game board? (where for example there are more German occupied Russian territories and the impassable Sahara)
    • Where can I find information about the new rules considering destroyers and cruisers? Is the old game play manual even valid at this time?

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Official Q&A

Welcome, White Raven!

It sounds to me like what you’ve got is the Milton Bradley version of Axis & Allies, also known as “Classic”.  It was indeed first published in 1984.  There were three editions of this version, with the 2nd Edition (1986) being the most popular.  As a result of this, many people also call the game “2nd Edition”.  The forum for this version can be found here.

Starting in 2004, there have been several new versions of Axis & Allies published by Avalon Hill.  The most current of these are the 1942 and 1940 Editions.  The 1942 Edition is the “base” game that is the modern equivalent of what you have.  We’re currently in the 1942 Edition forum.  The 1940 Edition is a much larger and more detailed game, which actually consists of two Theatre games (Europe 1940 and Pacific 1940) which can be combined into a Global game.

There isn’t really any way to “upgrade” the game you have to a newer version, as the boards are different and there are new unit types.  Of course, you could create a “hybrid” version by adding some of the new rules and picking up pieces to use for the new units.  However, just buying a 1942 Edition is inexpensive enough that it’s not really worth it to try to do this.

Of course, there is no reason why you can’t continue to play the game that you have.  It’s still a fine game, and many people continue to enjoy it.  (There’s a reason it’s called “Classic”.)  However, if you want to move up to a more modern version, I invite you to check out the Avalon Hill website for more information on the newer versions.  In many cases, the rules are available there for download.

Feel free to ask more questions here as well.  There are many friendly folks willing to answer them.

• Thanks for your quick reply. My Game play manual does indeed say ‘Second edition rules’. In that case I’m sorry for being on the wrong forum, I really thought my version was a Spring 1942 one :P

Its really confusing all this different kind of versions and games. Although I like the ‘second edition’ I think I will want to go a bit more modern on the Spring 1942. The website you showed me is very nice for information. But do you also know some stores that sell A&A Spring 1942 in Europe? I have a bit trouble to find stores in my own country and I dont like to buy from ebay or amazon second handed.

Furthermore: do you think anyone would be intrested in buying my second edition? I think I wont be using it anymore after buying a modern version.

• @White:

But do you also know some stores that sell A&A Spring 1942 in Europe? I have a bit trouble to find stores in my own country and I dont like to buy from ebay or amazon second handed.

What country do you live? One way to get it is usually to go to a board game store and even if they don’t have it they can usually order it from their distributors. Be prepared to pay more (in my country it can be double) than you would if you bought the game on the US though

• @Hobbes:

@White:

But do you also know some stores that sell A&A Spring 1942 in Europe? I have a bit trouble to find stores in my own country and I dont like to buy from ebay or amazon second handed.

What country do you live? One way to get it is usually to go to a board game store and even if they don’t have it they can usually order it from their distributors. Be prepared to pay more (in my country it can be double) than you would if you bought the game on the US though

Netherlands… there are no board game stores near me as far as I know… maybe other Dutchies know some?

• @White:

@Hobbes:

@White:

Netherlands… there are no board game stores near me as far as I know… maybe other Dutchies know some?

I’m from Portugal but I actually bought my game of Classic on a store on Amsterdam in 1998… I can’t remember where though. There was/is an American Book Store (in one of Amsterdam’s main streets, can’t remember which one) that had board games… that may help you.

PS - You can also order it from the Amazon UK store at £26.99

• Official Q&A

@Hobbes:

PS - You can also order it from the Amazon UK store at �26.99

Also, doing a Google search on “Axis & Allies 1942” should turn up a few on-line distributors who ship to Europe.

@White:

Furthermore: do you think anyone would be intrested in buying my second edition? I think I wont be using it anymore after buying a modern version.

I’m sure you can find someone who would be interested.

• Well, I have just been very stupid since A&A Spring 1942 was being sold on a very famous online store here in the Netherlands: bol.com
    So I did order a game and will receive it probably at this friday. I wont be selling A&A second edition since rumours go that the co-producer (or something) ‘Wizards of the Coast’ wont be sending IPC paper money and ofcourse I would like to insert the technology research of 2nd edition into Spring 1942.

I would like to thanks everyone again for their help!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

You’re right about the paper IPC’s - they’re missing from the Spring 1942 edition and I also use the IPC notes from my second edition game.
    I don’t recommend using the technological advances from the old game in the 1942 edition. Apart from A&A being better without tech anyway (imho), the second edition advances are really unbalanced and tend to disrupt the natural course of play, to some degree even turning it into a game of chance rather than skill.

If want to sell the second edition game after all, you may want to try http://boardgames.startpagina.nl/prikbord/

• @White:

I would like to insert the technology research of 2nd edition into Spring 1942.

@Herr:

You’re right about the paper IPC’s - they’re missing from the Spring 1942 edition and I also use the IPC notes from my second edition game.
    I don’t recommend using the technological advances from the old game in the 1942 edition. Apart from A&A being better without tech anyway (imho), the second edition advances are really unbalanced and tend to disrupt the natural course of play, to some degree even turning it into a game of chance rather than skill.

I don’t like tech myself either since Classic but I’d say that you if need to have tech on your games then check the AA50 tech chart. It has nearly all of the techs from Classic and 6 new techs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m