• '10

ILs Korea map set up for our first game.
    IMAG0003.JPG

• '10

Commies ready to launch their invasion.

IMAG0011.JPG

• '10

Chinese gather in the north.

IMAG0016.JPG

• '10

South Korea and the U.N unprepared!

IMAG0015.JPG

• cool.

• '10

Resumed testing on ILs Korea game today. You can see in the photo some of my new Chines units with the quilted winter uniforms.

IMAG0008.JPG

• '10

The Marine landing in Hungnam turned out to be premature.

IMAG0011.JPG

• '10

We made a lot of revisions to the original rules. We decided to delay the entrance of the Chinese to the end of Dec,. 1950. We changed the turn order to represent one month each. Rule changes too numerous to go into here. Still a work in progress.

IMAG0006.JPG

• '10

Different Chinese units coming into N. Korea. The horses represent mules and/or pack horses that the Chinese used to pack in supplies. The brown areas on the map represent higher elevations that slowed movement. Where the green areas allowed for some blitzing. The N. Koreans have a few trucks which can move three spaces in the green but the Chinese have only the horses.

IMAG0009.JPG

• When you get a chance and playtest, post the modified rules you used.

• '10

@Imperious:

When you get a chance and playtest, post the modified rules you used.

I am going to play the commie side next week. ugh!

• '10

The U.N. was forced out of Hungnam and Wonsan. New test game scheduled for next week. Have divided some of the zones to slow movement a little. Will be adding jets and helicopters to the next game.

IMAG0029.JPG

• Great looking map!

Here’s an interesting little item for which you might want to incorporate a special rule option: “On 5 April 1951, the Joint Chiefs of Staff drafted orders for MacArthur authorizing attacks on Manchuria and the Shantung Peninsula if the Chinese launched airstrikes against his forces originating from there. The next day Truman met with the chairman of the United States Atomic Energy Commission, Gordon Dean, and arranged for the transfer of nine Mark 4 nuclear bombs to military control. Dean was apprehensive about delegating the decision on how they should be used to MacArthur, who lacked expert technical knowledge of the weapons and their effects. The Joint Chiefs were not entirely comfortable about giving them to MacArthur either, for fear that he might prematurely carry out his orders. Instead, they decided that the nuclear strike force would report to the Strategic Air Command.”

• '10

@CWO:

Great looking map!

Here’s an interesting little item for which you might want to incorporate a special rule option: “On 5 April 1951, the Joint Chiefs of Staff drafted orders for MacArthur authorizing attacks on Manchuria and the Shantung Peninsula if the Chinese launched airstrikes against his forces originating from there. The next day Truman met with the chairman of the United States Atomic Energy Commission, Gordon Dean, and arranged for the transfer of nine Mark 4 nuclear bombs to military control. Dean was apprehensive about delegating the decision on how they should be used to MacArthur, who lacked expert technical knowledge of the weapons and their effects. The Joint Chiefs were not entirely comfortable about giving them to MacArthur either, for fear that he might prematurely carry out his orders. Instead, they decided that the nuclear strike force would report to the Strategic Air Command.”

Interesting info that I have never heard before. I am not a fan of rules for nuclear attack in any of the WWII or Korea games. Seems to me it would be a game breaker unless used in a tactical role. I dont think that the technology for deploying nuclear devices with artillery existed in this time frame.

• @Fishmoto37:

I dont think that the technology for deploying nuclear devices with artillery existed in this time frame.

Not in 1951, though soon thereafter.  The earliest such weapon in the U.S. arsenal was the nuclear-capable MGR-1 Honest John free-flight surface-to-surface rocket; it was first tested in 1951 and the first production rounds were delivered in January 1953.  It was originally outfitted with a W7 variable yield nuclear warhead with a yield of up to 20 kilotons, and later a W31 warhead.  The next U.S. tactical nuclear system, the M65 Atomic Cannon (“Atomic Annie”), which could deliver 280mm W9 and W19 nuclear shells, was test-fired for the first time with a live nuclear round (a 15 kiloton W9 warhead) on May 25, 1953.  It was deployed that same year in Europe and Korea.

At any rate, even if these tactical nukes had ben available for deployment in 1951, the JCS would probably have been even more nervous about transferring their control to the military than they already were about the Mark 4 nuclear bombs.  As land-warfare systems, they would have operated under Army rather than Air Force supervision, which might have increased the potential of MacArthur using them.

• '10

Ok, this post is basicly for IL but feel free add any comments. We have done two more test games, one today and one last week. Is there anyone out there who has any experience with this game? We have found that this Korea game needs a LOT of work and changes. We have done a lot of these changes already. We are going to try another test game next week and we have several new ideas. I guess we will continue with this project as long as my friend is willing to help me with it. I am scheduled for knee replacement surgery on Feb. 14th so there will be some down time coming up.

• It is hard for me to help you unless you tell us the changes you made, so i can compare what is still part of the game.

Please post some of the changes you made, also describe what went wrong when you first played requiring any changes.

• '10

@Imperious:

It is hard for me to help you unless you tell us the changes you made, so i can compare what is still part of the game.

Please post some of the changes you made, also describe what went wrong when you first played requiring any changes.

IL, my friend who has been helping me with this game has lost interest in this game but I still hope to get him interested again. One of the first issues we had was, how to implement the supply token in the game. We finally decided on 6 supply tokens each for the two capitals in the setup and 6 for each round as long as the capital was held by the original owner. We then put enough in the other zones to get the respective units started. You never indicated how the supply was to be moved. We added trucks to the game for this purpose. We created mule units, represented by the plastic horses to move the Chinese supply. The Chinese had unlimited supply north of the Yalu and the U.N. had unlimited supply that started in Japan. The main problem was how to move up these tokens to where they were needed. Thats where the trucks, mules and transport ships came into play. Also a small number where carried by the transport planes, helicopters and mech. infantry. The North Koreans bogged down too quickly so we added tanks and infantry to their setup. The next game (if we can schedule one) will see the N. Koreans starting south of the 38th parallel so that we can see them pinning the U.N. into the Pusan perimeter. All of our test games became a dead heat just south of Seoul and then the U.N. begins to push them back. The conditions you set for the entry of the Chinese did not work out. We had to set a date on the calender for the Chinese entry otherwise they never made it into the game. Also, an amphibeous landing too early does not work for the U.N. It takes quite some time to build up forces to make this work. I will post more on this when and if we can get back to this game.

• '10

Also I noticed that there does not seem to be any interest by others in this game as there has been no other posts. Not sure about the future of this project.

• Did you get that from Historical Board Gaming? I downloaded the same map and rule set. Since then I’ve completely reworked the map and rules. I’m currently in the process of possibly getting it published.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m