Who thinks there should be an official Atomic Bomb rule????

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

500 IPC’s???

That’s CRAZY!

I would rather buy 166 infantry.

• Well OK 500 might be too much but it was darn expensive.

I found this in the Cost section of “Manhattan project” on Wikipedia:
    "The project expenditure through 1 October 1945 was $1.845 billion, and was $2.191 billion when the AEC assumed control on 1 January 1947. Total allocation was $2.4 billion. Over 90% of the cost was for building plants and producing the fissionable materials, and less than 10% for development and production of the weapons.

A total of four weapons (the Trinity gadget, Little Boy, Fat Man, and an unused bomb) were produced by the end of 1945, making the average cost per bomb around $500 million in 1945 dollars. By comparison, the project’s total cost by the end of 1945 was about 90% of the total spent on the production of US small arms (not including ammunition) and 34% of the total spent on US tanks during the same period"

So take whatever USA typically spends on tanks in a game and multiply that by one third and you should have a historically accurate price for building the infrastructure that is needed to build the first bomb.  Subsequent bombs should cost 10% of whatever that is.

• @Gargantua:

500 IPC’s???

That’s CRAZY!

I would rather buy 166 infantry.
    [
    /quote]See, Thats exactly what i mean. The odds for Germany developing A Bomb tech is CRAZY! You could buy enough tanks to flatten Russia 10X over.

• Customizer

Yeah, 500 IPCs is way too much.  Think about it, even the US would have to buy NO units for 6 rounds to get that much money.

I understand the facts you dragged up, but how could you figure out how much the US would spend on tanks?  It really depends on the player for one thing.  Some guys might buy almost no tanks for USA, preferring to purchase inf/art for all their transports.  Others might be very tank heavy.  Then you have to figure in whether or not the US captures an IC or not.  Usually, I will go more with inf/art when I have to load them on transports but once I get an IC over in Europe, I tend to build all tanks there.
    There has to be a better way to figure out how much developing the first A-Bomb would cost.  This is assuming they already have the tech of course.  Perhaps 1/3 of total cash on hand?  Or better yet, perhaps 1/3 of the total income from all territories and NOs at that time.  Also, would it be the same for Germany?
    The problem with this idea is it could end up being a variable amount and might even possibly make one country pay more for an A-bomb than the other, depending on what time during the game they decide to make an A-bomb.  (USA could be making 100 IPCs with territories and NOs, A-Bomb cost = 34 IPCs.  Germany might be making 75 IPCs with territories and NOs, A-bomb cost = 25 IPCs.)
    With that in mind, should the cost be a set level?  Perhaps 50-70 IPCs or so for the first one.  Subsequent bombs should be more than 10%, perhaps 15-20 IPCs each.

• A - bomb not for me. Leave it up to strategy and die rolls and if you need to change up game, play with some NO and Tech. But not A-bomb.

I agree with SS. If you wanna play with A-bomb play world war III

• Just make it a NO for the US that it needs a cumulative die roll to obtain nukes

Certain things have to happen in order for the US to roll “Atomic Dice”

Allied control of Rome
    No Axis controlled territories in Africa
    The Axis cannot control US originally controlled territories in the Pacific (Guam, Midway, Hawaii, Johnston, Line, Philippines, Aleutian)
    The Axis cannot control UK originally controlled territories in Europe (London, Scotland, Iceland, Gibraltar)
    Anzac has to have collected IPC that round

Before Germany goes in that round, the US gets to roll a die for each of the following:
    US Control of Rome
    US Control of Hawaii
    US Control of Caroline Islands
    US Control of Marianas
    US Control of Iwo Jima
    US Control of Okinawa
    US Control of Marshall Islands
    France collected IPC that round
    Allied Control of Egypt

You have to roll something like six sixes in order to obtain an atomic bomb.  Thats six sixes cumulatively.  Alternately, you can make it a cumulative total so something like you have to roll something like a die total of 40-50 cumulatively on the die roll(s) over multiple rounds.

Each nuke thereafter costs the US 1/3 of its IPC to purchase it (so probably something like 25-30 IPC at this point in the game).

The Nuke works just like a SBR however it can only be on the Nation’s Capital (Tokyo / Berlin).  If the StratB’s with the Nuke(s) get to the roll dice phase for damage to the Major IC, then the attack is successful.

A successful attack means that nation does not collect IPC that round.

From the German perspective:

Germany rolls a single die every round for the following objectives:

German Control for each VC it controls

So G1 would see Germany likely roll die for Berlin, Warsaw and Paris.

Germany would also be able to roll die if it controls London, Egypt, Leningrad, Stalingrad, and/or Moscow which allows for Germany to go in any direction to obtain extra die rolls.

Germany scores half (rounded down) its total die roll if the Axis does not control Paris and Rome.

Germany has to obtain the same objective as the US to obtain an Atomic Bomb (six sixes or something like 50 total showing on the dice cumulatively through all rolls).

I believe this puts the Atomic Bomb in play for Germany around turn 7-8 if it never loses Paris and owns London.  However Germany could only really play that Atomic bomb against Moscow if it sealioned G3 as its pretty darned difficult for it to launch a SBR against the US.  In effect it penalizes Moscow for sitting back and really doing nothing instead of pushing back against the Germans.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m