US technique to destroy the Luftwaffe in W. Europe

• Just had an idea to force Germany to use her airforce in defense of Germany and Wgermany in order to destroy it.  Here goes.  Firstly capture Norway and build a factory and an airbase there.  Make sure you have a full compliment of fighters there and then start building cruisers/destroyers in the Baltic with transports to follow this. This allows the US to bypass taking Denmark which the German player should have well defended…at least I always do (usually 12+ inf there with a large force on Wgermany which can retake it if neccesary).  The German player can’t allow this as now he’ll have to also buy to defend Berlin so he’ll have to attack your 3 cruisers with there 3 fighter scrambles.  if he destroys you you still probably took out a good amount of airforce and then you can just rebuild it all again because he cant match your production because then his assault into Russia will run out of steam.  If he ignores it then access to Berlin, Poland, and the Baltic states have just opened up to US ground forces.  Anybody here use this technique with the US and if you have how did it work?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

This is a good concept…  BUT

There are much more effective ways to meet the same end,  and to be honest, If I was the germans, I wouldn’t attack your fleet, I would spend my time fighting other more valuable targets.

Worse,  this entire plan requires until atleast US 6 or 7 to accomplish,  and to what end?  Why not just focus on getting results in the pacific an mediterranean.

• @Gargantua:

There are much more effective ways to meet the same end,  and to be honest, If I was the germans, I wouldn’t attack your fleet, I would spend my time fighting other more valuable targets.

Worse,  this entire plan requires until atleast US 6 or 7 to accomplish,  and to what end?  Why not just focus on getting results in the pacific an mediterranean.

@Gargantua:

Ok can agree that it would happen by turn 6 or so which is late but it would be hard to ignore 3 cruisers and 3 transports right off the coast of Berlin. Not only
    Would you have to build to defend west germany but also Berlin that sux up a lot of money that could be used against Russia. As I’m not as experienced
    A player what would you suggest specifically. I like the Italy idea but it takes a while to get into position but even if you are able to capture Rome the axis will take it right back if they’ve built correctly.

• Lol sorry that post got all screwed up was writing it on my phone. In the immortal words of Rick perry……ooops.

• Customizer

As far as killing the Luftwaffe I always enjoyed building some Carriers (loaded w/Fighters) and Destroyers and then daring them to come and sink them or I’ll use them plus additional units to invade them.  In the end (after paying a price) I usually have seriously depleted (if not totally) the Luftwaffe leaving the way open to invasion.

“Tall Paul”

The Axis need to be smart with their planes.

Forcing them to attack can be… difficult at the best of times.  I know I personally prefer NOT to use my air superiority trump card as the Germans for example…  Just by the fact that I have many planes existing, you have to plan a contingency for them, as opposed to allowing them to get slaughtered at a 1 to 1, or even 2 to 1 ratio (Axis Favour)

All those extra aircraf carriers, fighters, and airbases you have to build, to keep your fleet from getting demolished, buy me what I need. Time.

• Customizer

Gargantua,

You’re totally correct!  And that’s why I taunt the German player into attacking my A/C w/Ftrs + DDs.  The taunting usually works(with our new players).  It’s all about TIME.  If I can force him into a fight and take away his main defense(Fighters), I’ve pretty much won the battle from then on.

–------------------------------------------

Too few people play this game with “The BIG Picture” in mind.  Or in other words,…they don’t play for the looooong term.  I keep telling my gang it may not be enjoyable or exciting to buy Infantry,…but generally they’re the best investment one could make.  They preserve your strength(high cost Tanks, etc.), while keeping you in the game by replacing your losses(hopefully only Infantry) and reinforcing everything else.  Sorry if I diverted onto another thought there.

My older brother Pat is an excellent player and can act/react to any situation.  But I’ve found that most other players that I’ve teamed up with(like my Dad) were more interested in “quick results”, or “constant exciting action”.  Personally,…I’m there to compete and WIN!  Whatever strategy it takes.  And sometimes the slower, less exciting strategy is the WINNING strategy.

“Tall Paul”

Paul,

Have you seen or read either of these threads?

I couldn’t agree with you more!

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=21840.0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=24749.0

• Defenitly agree with you on that one. The infantry investment in a campaign like Russia is the greatest one. Keeps the tanks alive.

• Yes, yes, and yes. If I’m Germany, I try to spend 30 IPCs a round on Infantry, then scale back a little for more mobile units, then in the late game 10 per round again. Just as a general rule - game by game differs of course. They’re your best friend.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m