• with a stratigic bombing you are limiting the appoits ipcs but the rules say you can only knock down the ipcs to 3 so is it good
    to take a cance or not

• @Drill:

with a stratigic bombing you are limiting the appoits ipcs but the rules say you can only knock down the ipcs to 3 so is it good
    to take a cance or not

On Spring 1942 a successful strategic bombing results in damage being inflicted upon your opponent’s industrial complexes. The maximum damage that each factory can have is the double of the value of the territory and each damage point means that less 1 unit can be built on that factory.
    On Revised (the earlier edition of the game, which seems more the one that you’ve described above) the rules are different: each bombing causes the loss of IPCs (money) from the power/country being bombed. The maximum damage that can be done for each bomber is the value of the territory being bombed. Later this rule was changed to the maximum damage being the double of the territory’s value to prevent the US from bombing Germany into the ground.

Regardless of each rules you are using, strategic bombing is effective, as long as you survive the anti-aircraft fire. However, there can be better uses for the bomber - always try to find out those before sending the bomber.

• The only time when you should strategic bomb is when you have a specific STRATEGY in mind.

“hm this bomber isn’t doing anything imma go strategic bomb with it” - that’s a TACTIC, not a STRATEGY.

“The Allies are three turns away from being able to reinforce Moscow with ground troops.  Ground units I produce in Tokyo this turn cannot hit Moscow for another three turns, by which time the Allies will have established their ground reinforcement line.  So I will start producing bombers at Tokyo that can strategic bomb Moscow next turn, which will soften Moscow up for the German/Japanese main attacks two turns from now.” - that’s a STRATEGY.

• vielen dank

• If a UK takes a Japanese IC with damage, does this removes the damage markers, or are UK implied to rebuilt before they produce in that IC?

• @Juhlius:

If a UK takes a Japanese IC with damage, does this removes the damage markers, or are UK implied to rebuilt before they produce in that IC?

The damage markers remain when an IC is conquered by any country. On this case, depends on how much damage the IC has - if it has the same, or more, points of damage than the territory, then the answer is yes, the UK will have to repair the IC before it can produce there.

• With the 42 rules of inflicting damage on a specific IC - Strategig bombing is less effective, since both Germany and Russia (the typical targets for strategig bombing) can produce units elsewhere and often do not need to pay the entire damage.

That is probably also why bombers are cheaper in the 42 version.

• @jiman79:

With the 42 rules of inflicting damage on a specific IC - Strategig bombing is less effective, since both Germany and Russia (the typical targets for strategig bombing) can produce units elsewhere and often do not need to pay the entire damage.

That is probably also why bombers are cheaper in the 42 version.

I agree that you don’t suffer directly the effects (by losing IPCs) but it adds  additional complexity to the game and you can still suffer by it. Germany/Russia have spare IC capacity because of their 2 ICs but unless Berlin is clear from amphibious assault by the UK/US it will still have to repair the IC.

• Don’t remind me  :-D
    I just lost a game, where my Axis opponent opened with a 3 bomber buy and during the game he did more than 150 IPCs worth of damage I only managed to shoot down 1 bomber.
    A strategic bombing strategy can be very effective, but it is all about rolling them ones with the AA gun.

• @jiman79:

Don’t remind me  :-D
    I just lost a game, where my Axis opponent opened with a 3 bomber buy and during the game he did more than 150 IPCs worth of damage I only managed to shoot down 1 bomber.
    A strategic bombing strategy can be very effective, but it is all about rolling them ones with the AA gun.

G opened with a 3 bomber buy? That’s asking for a Russian stack on Ukraine very quickly!

• That also happened R2, but UK failed to retake Egypt, so G had a solid income. And the relatively wealthy USSR had to pay IC repair, which neutralized the gain from controlling Ukraine.
    Along with the threat from the giant luftwaffe, UK+US took some time establishing a joint shuck to Norway, and by the time it was established, Japan was on Russias doorstep, and the Japs where sending 3 bombers to Russia/Cauc, while Germans where keeping UK down to buying 3-4 inf a round.

In this scenario the strategic bombing and bad luck in Africa killed me. But I would not mind having another go at this strategy, I think I would win 3 out of 4.

• yIKES

Th real bunny is back  !!

• when i team up with my dad , he never wants to bomb….so i showed him this, and he said he’d probably give it a try…

@jiman79:

That also happened R2, but UK failed to retake Egypt, so G had a solid income. And the relatively wealthy USSR had to pay IC repair, which neutralized the gain from controlling Ukraine.
    Along with the threat from the giant luftwaffe, UK+US took some time establishing a joint shuck to Norway, and by the time it was established, Japan was on Russias doorstep, and the Japs where sending 3 bombers to Russia/Cauc, while Germans where keeping UK down to buying 3-4 inf a round.

In this scenario the strategic bombing and bad luck in Africa killed me. But I would not mind having another go at this strategy, I think I would win 3 out of 4.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m