• Played my first game of Global this weekend. It was a lot of fun, but very long.

I screwed up Barbarossa after a successful Sea-Lion. I shucked my German troops in by tranny in the north and split my main walking army body going around that marsh in the middle of Russia. Before I knew it, a Russian counter attack on R 4 or  5 killed one of my two main armies and I was out numbered and retreating in the south.

Should I be walking a big stack of troops south around the marsh and transporting a northern force then later through Novo in the north? How many troops do you leave in London?

I still won the game but I really need to clean up the German eastern front strategy. I really like all the new territories, although it’s much tougher and longer of a conquest. Thanks for any help.

• pick 1 goal, go to it (preferably bryansk), keep reinforcing met mechs and perhaps some tanks.
    italian units can help defend; they take territory; germans move on it and in their zog they land fighters.

• Personally I don’t split my forces, I made that mistake before.  3 stacks of red chips under an Infantry makes it hard for Russia to counter each step forward Germany takes.  Splitting it into 2 red chips one way, 1 red chip the other just allows Russia to stage an effective counter against any big fight in either Leningrad, the Ukraine or Stalingrad.  Keeping them together forces Russia to retreat each step of the way or face massive losses trying to counter.

Thats from my experience at least, and I’ve played about 10 games of this version so far.

• agreed!
    You only need 1 stack to drive to Moscow, splitting them up leaves you vulnerable. Also, use the Italians for a 1,2 assault. They can clean up areas like Ukraine/ Stalingrad to gain some IPC’s and remove them from Russia. Sometimes I leave vulnerable Italian units in range of a Russian counter attack in the hopes they try it. I have my German army strategically positioned so that if the Russians attack my Italians, I lose them but the German army mops the floor with what’s left and it’s not even on a German turn.

If you really want to take the Russians down quick, use a moderate size Japanese force to push West for major Russian IPC losses and an ALMOST unstoppable 3 nation assault.

• I also keep it to one stack.  Once this stack forces the army in Lennigrad to retreat or be cut off, then I make an Amphib landing in Lenningrad to go with the forces in Scandinavia.  This is usually sufficient to tie that area down, however I have been known to seige Moscow, in which case the Wehrmacht tries to go north and to the east of Moscow.

• Sponsor

A complete Russian retraction with a 9 infantry and 1 fighter purchase every round (except for one round where a strategical bomber was purchased instead of a fighter).

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25812.0

• YG,

Thats what I figured you were getting at on the other thread.

You ever consider NOT doing a Sealion on G3 and instead staging it at SZ91 (assuming Axis control Gibraltar) and going straight after USA’s first big payday and hitting USA on G4?  Possibly throwing in the Italian fleet on Italy3?

• Sponsor

@Spendo02:

YG,

Thats what I figured you were getting at on the other thread.

You ever consider NOT doing a Sealion on G3 and instead staging it at SZ91 (assuming Axis control Gibraltar) and going straight after USA’s first big payday and hitting USA on G4?  Possibly throwing in the Italian fleet on Italy3?

Are you expecting me to stare at my board for 2 days straight, and than spend another day writing a blue print as to how that would all work out? Here’s an idea…… you send me the blue print for a Sealion and a Cloverfield using the Italian navy from Gibraltar, and I will tell you if I would do it or not.

• To be clear, I only asked if you had ever considered it.  Never asked you how to do it as I have my own ideas on it and if its possible.  Don’t know where all the hate just boiled up from as you’ve been cordial in responses to date.

• Sponsor

@Spendo02:

To be clear, I only asked if you had ever considered it.  Never asked you how to do it as I have my own ideas on it and if its possible.  Don’t know where all the hate just boiled up from as you’ve been cordial in responses to date.

Thats not hate, thats just the way I express myself…… my apologies. I have considered an attack US strategy but I haven’t gotten around to planning it, and no I have never considered a sealion from Gibraltar, but it seems intriguing.

• Customizer

A good strategy for Germany against Russia is to buy a Major IC turn 1 and place it in Romania.  Turn 2 you get an airbase, 3 transports, 1 destroyer and some extra land units for Romania, and make sure you land 3 fighters in Romania for defense of your Black Sea fleet.  You have to make sure you also kill the Royal Navy and keep England at bay.  
    The main problem with this is once they see you buy that Major IC, they know you are going Barbarossa and NOT attempting Sealion, so UK doesn’t have to buy a bunch of defense for London and can give the Italians a hard time in the Med.
    We have tried this a couple of times now and Russia hasn’t yet been able to withstand the German attack when it comes.

By the way Grasshopper, what is a “Cloverfield”?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Cloverfield is the invasion of US soil.

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

Cloverfield is the invasion of US soil.

Ya, I thought that each major operation in this game should have a call name like sealion. When I think of an invasion on New York, I think of Cloverfield ( very cool movie BTW).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m