• I’m too lazy to download the book and look this up:

If say the uk has a carrier with 2 us fighters on it. It attacks a german fleet somewhere with the carrier and other stuff.
    Do the us planes fire?
    I didn’t think they did, so if not, can they be used for fodder in the battle?
    If the carrier is lost, then they get 1 movemement to land?
    If the carrier is lost first round, and a retreat is called what happens?
    Thanks.

• I think you are right, the US fighters in this case just would not be part of the battle, but I have been known to be wrong…alot.

• You’re right, since it’s not their turn they don’t attack.
    But since they accually are present in the sea zone they may be taken as casualties if the Us player agrees and they do get the 1 movement after the battle if the carrier is somehow lost (american pilots are not more suicidal than their british counterparts 8) )

Cheers

• ok, so if the carrier is taken as a casualty, and then I retreat, do the fighters retreat, and then get 1 move to land? Or do they only live if there is a friendly carrier in the zone they retreat to (with space for them) This issue is sort of confusing.

• They are stuck on the AC so they don’t retreat if the AC is gone, but they can land one space away. Or I should say that they can land on an AC or island in that sea zone, not on a mainland. Also, they can’t be taken as fodder. If it doesn’t go on the battle board, it can’t be hit.

• i thought it could be fodder, just not shoot.

• I have to change my answer due to the FAQ. I never played this way but apparently they can be taken as hits and therefore land too I suppose.

• When you attack with an AC and you have allied FTRs aboard, those allied FTRs are treated as loaded cargo. This is just like if you took a loaded TRN into an attack. Allied FTRs on an AC (like INF, ARM, or AA guns on a TRN) cannot be treated as fodder. If the AC goes down, the FTRs go with it. Also, if the AC retreats, the FTRs go with it.

The only exception to this AC/FTR rule is on defense. Then all units get to defend.

• hmm people keep telling me the fighters can be used as fodder. Is this only in europe? I know in europe/pacific allied ships can be fodder, so if the uk builds a destroyer where there are german subs, the us can attack it with air, and choose to use the destroyer as fodder.

• Waaaaaaaaaaaait a minute!

A)If they are defending they may be involved. If the attacker stops before the ftrs are lost they may land on an island in the same sea zone.

B)If they are on a carrier moved to attack THEY WILL BE LOST if the carrrier is lost.

UNLESS you agree ahead of time to another alternative such as in A… if there is a land territory(a continent or French Madagascar are the only alternatives added in this way) adjacent to the sea zone.

• If my fighters are on an ally’s carrier, when do they move and fight?

Your fighters move along with the carrier when it moves. They can’t fly out to attack on your ally’s turn, but they fight normally if the carrier’s sea zone is attacked. If the carrier moves into an enemy sea zone to attack, however, your fighters can’t be part of the attack but they can be taken as losses, if you agree to sacrifice them.

That’s from the FAQ. I don’t see anything like that in the basic rules however. Without this, I would have said that they were simply in transit and died with the carrier.

• @Kobu:

If my fighters are on an ally’s carrier, when do they move and fight?

Your fighters move along with the carrier when it moves. They can’t fly out to attack on your ally’s turn, but they fight normally if the carrier’s sea zone is attacked. If the carrier moves into an enemy sea zone to attack, however, your fighters can’t be part of the attack but they can be taken as losses, if you agree to sacrifice them.

That’s from the FAQ. I don’t see anything like that in the basic rules however. Without this, I would have said that they were simply in transit and died with the carrier.

i’m pretty sure this is right. I’ve played with this before.

• ok so what happens if the attacker retreats, but the carrier has been lost? do they stay there?

• Under 2nd ed. they can land on a friendly island in that sea zone. Under 3rd, they can move one space to any land space or a carrier. If there is no friendly landing space, they are lost.

• @Kobu:

Could someone please tell me where this FAQ is?

• may they move one space to a carrier and land? for example, if they are in azores on a carrier and the carrier is lost, can they land on a carrier in west med since it’s one move away?

• In 2nd it must be in the same seazone.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m