• do naval bases provide anti air protection to friendly ships in the sea zone where the base is located or is the anti air strictly for defense against SBR attacks?

• Sponsor

@thoes426:

do naval bases provide anti air protection to friendly ships in the sea zone where the base is located or is the anti air strictly for defense against SBR attacks?

Naval bases are a facility with a built in AA Gun which only protects the naval base from strategic bombing raids.

Remember this: Naval bases do 2 things ……

1. Repairs any damaged capital ships that begin their turn in a sea zone adjacent to a friendly naval base.

2. Increases the amount of movement points of any sea units that begins their turn in a sea zone adjacent to a friendly naval base, by 1.

• I can see how this would be confusing considering that when you think of an naval base it is surrounded by aa guns, and espcially considering that through most of the war Germany/Italy had their ships in port…and they didn’t get sunk by naval attack and fought off the aircraft.  Giving a sz with a NB to act like an aa gun is the best idea I have seen, still not sold on the idea of navies needing aa guns though, considering there are no ‘meat shields’ like inf, the cheapest naval unit is a sub.

• @JimmyHat:

I can see how this would be confusing considering that when you think of an naval base it is surrounded by aa guns, and espcially considering that through most of the war Germany/Italy had their ships in port…and they didn’t get sunk by naval attack and fought off the aircraft.  Giving a sz with a NB to act like an aa gun is the best idea I have seen, still not sold on the idea of navies needing aa guns though, considering there are no ‘meat shields’ like inf, the cheapest naval unit is a sub.

All that may be true, but the game is simplified to depict naval battles as occuring on open sea and not in port.

If something resembling port rules were to be implented in any realistic manner then a number of special cases would need to be made to show how port battles actually happened -

Battleships and cruisers would bombard
    Ships in port would have reduced defensive values (they were truly sitting ducks against air raids)
    Air would be the only units available to attack - at best it would be unrealistic to allow I class subs into pearl, similarly multiple sub pieces would indicate such an incursion that the port would have subs colliding with each other.
    And ports could be mined and blockaded.

And yes, AA guns (although, as always, by the nature of the game pieces, a battleship or destroyer HITTING a plane indicates anti aircraft.  It’s just not the same level of antiaircraft screening that the AA batteries indicate.

But that’s such a mess, and it either adds a space and special rules, etc etc.

• Sponsor

I think the addition of bases are Genius, they are 2 of the most simplistic units in the game, but they add so much. By far the most identifiable element that separates global from the others.

• @Young:

I think the addition of bases are Genius, they are 2 of the most simplistic units in the game, but they add so much. By far the most identifiable element that separates global from the others.

That’s true, bases are great!
    Of course they work so fine because of the big sized map, Spring 42 with bases would be ridiculous :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m