• @theROCmonster:

Clyde, Grasshopper has it right. Every expert would agree you want to maximize IPC lost vs gained. SO if you are going to hold a southern island put an airbase there and planes you are going to loose A LOT more IPC’s than Japan is going to in taking it out. Granted japan won’t be able to get their NO bonus or attack other Islands, but taking out that many IP’Cs is way more worth it. Killing UK India men and planes will make it even easier to take out india later on because what can india counter attack with when all her fighters are dead?

Thats a good point, I would then supplement the UK India fighters with the ANZAC ones instead, and try to make holding Java an ANZAC exclusive operation as much as possible. The rest of what you bring up is irrelevent as it dosnt take into account the situation im buliding this idea on. IF the US fleet is concentrated off the coast of Queensland, then I can afford to use ANZAC forces here as the US will be defending me from early turn (turn 3) invasion from Japan. Second, any Japanese force the is left down off the coast of Java will be weakened and attacked by the stronger American fleet from Queensland, thus removing it from play. Japan will have to counter this but may not be in a position to do so right away. If the force sent to take out Java is killed, and a strong US fleet is there, what force is Japan going to be sending against India? If we assume that by turn 3 India has stopped sending things to Egypt and has a fleet of 1DD 1CA 1BB 1AC with air support and fighters to scramble not to mention anything else India has moblized in terms of ground forces, what is Japan going to do? You seem to think they would just push on and attempt to make a run at India regardless, but the US can counter any offensive movement Japan makes at the Indian ocean from its new position in Java.

• Sponsor

All that dosen’t matter if the Japs have the Phillipenes.

• I really think we have talked this to death. Their are too many variables neither of us can foresee without playing the game out.

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

I really think we have talked this to death. Their are too many variables neither of us can foresee without playing the game out.

I just looked at my board and realized that ANZAC fighters can’t support a battle on the coast of the phillipenes because they will need an airbase to reach, so I might be open to the Java base idea, but I would also like to suggest ANZAC taking the Caroline islands.

• have you ever thought about purchases Aircraft carriers for Anzac? Haven’t played enough games to see if this is a good idea, but I was thinking this will help America with staying power in the phillipines. Having a couple aircraft carriers from Anzac as well as the couple from US will make it a nightmare to attack.

• @theROCmonster:

have you ever thought about purchases Aircraft carriers for Anzac? Haven’t played enough games to see if this is a good idea, but I was thinking this will help America with staying power in the phillipines. Having a couple aircraft carriers from Anzac as well as the couple from US will make it a nightmare to attack.

Personally i prefer Anzac fighters on a US aircraft (cheaper solution for Anzac too), especially with the recent turn order where USA plays before Anzac. Gives your fighters a potential range of up til 6.

• I like giving US more attacking power though. Since Japans fleet when I play as japan is always very large. I need a way to kill it. Building carriers for america isn’t attacking power. Especially when anzac units are sitting on them. The reason I like anzac building carriers is because US can focus on building a bunch of subs and cheaper naval units that have the attacking power punch, while anzac helps solidify the allies possition in the phillipines.

• @theROCmonster:

I like giving US more attacking power though. Since Japans fleet when I play as japan is always very large. I need a way to kill it. Building carriers for america isn’t attacking power. Especially when anzac units are sitting on them. The reason I like anzac building carriers is because US can focus on building a bunch of subs and cheaper naval units that have the attacking power punch, while anzac helps solidify the allies possition in the phillipines.

i guess that is a valid option.

Yet, with Anzac’s humble income, i usually go for fighters (if Japan is a threat) and/or subs (and TRP + INF after a US fleet has arrived near Queensland)
    But mostly fighters…

edit: Anzac Fighters from Queensland can land in Manilla right after USA has taken it, giving up to 3 defending scramblers. Without the need of an expensive aircraft carrier

• Sponsor

@special:

@theROCmonster:

I like giving US more attacking power though. Since Japans fleet when I play as japan is always very large. I need a way to kill it. Building carriers for america isn’t attacking power. Especially when anzac units are sitting on them. The reason I like anzac building carriers is because US can focus on building a bunch of subs and cheaper naval units that have the attacking power punch, while anzac helps solidify the allies possition in the phillipines.

i guess that is a valid option.

Yet, with Anzac’s humble income, i usually go for fighters (if Japan is a threat) and/or subs (and TRP + INF after a US fleet has arrived near Queensland)
    But mostly fighters…

edit: Anzac Fighters from Queensland can land in Manilla right after USA has taken it, giving up to 3 defending scramblers. Without the need of an expensive aircraft carrier

Carriers are a very formidable unit for America in the Pacific, I love my American first round purchase of 2 Carriers and 1 Battleship off San Fransisco. Comes to an even $52, it falls perfectly in line with the min 3 unit placement on the minor factory in western USA, its the most logical purchase in order to create landings for all those fighters on the board, and it brings the American fleet to near equallity with the Japanese fleet in regards to size and strength.

• I see what you are saying, but this isn’t an attacking fleet. Carriers are defensive. Say you have all your planes on your carriers. You don’t have any land based planes to attack with as well. I like to have at least 3 land based planes for america that are flying from an airbase. I just dont see how you can take out the japanese fleet with such defensive buys. By round 2 I am already building 2 subs 2 destroyers and 3 mechs with Japan. T3 is much the same depending on whether or not I attack the allies I usually do and I am usually able to gobble up all 5 of the money islands. T3 with japan I am making 56 dollars. I don’t see a way for the allies to stop this unless they want to risk loosing a lot of money as clyde suggests with airbase and planes. This leaves me with my T4 buy of 3 mechs 6 subs and a destroyer with japan. and each subsequent turn Japan makes even more money. Meaning more fleet. With what you have outlined as your US purchases eventually you will have enough to take and hold phillipines, but it won’t be for a long time. Around turn 9 or so. Maybe even longer.

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

I see what you are saying, but this isn’t an attacking fleet. Carriers are defensive. Say you have all your planes on your carriers. You don’t have any land based planes to attack with as well. I like to have at least 3 land based planes for america that are flying from an airbase. I just dont see how you can take out the japanese fleet with such defensive buys. By round 2 I am already building 2 subs 2 destroyers and 3 mechs with Japan. T3 is much the same depending on whether or not I attack the allies I usually do and I am usually able to gobble up all 5 of the money islands. T3 with japan I am making 56 dollars. I don’t see a way for the allies to stop this unless they want to risk loosing a lot of money as clyde suggests with airbase and planes. This leaves me with my T4 buy of 3 mechs 6 subs and a destroyer with japan. and each subsequent turn Japan makes even more money. Meaning more fleet. With what you have outlined as your US purchases eventually you will have enough to take and hold phillipines, but it won’t be for a long time. Around turn 9 or so. Maybe even longer.

ROCmonster, its time to back up your claims, please provide a 3 round blueprint for Japan. I want to show you just how spread out and defenseless your fleet will become when you take the 5 money islands. thanks

• With 100% American investment, Japan is going to start feeling pressure as soon as America declares war.  Sure, it’s very possible to keep America out of your business, but you’ll need to keep significant forces at or near Carolines on the turn you declare war, which would prevent you from hitting some of Japan’s objectives farther west - the DEI.
    If Japan doesn’t, America will probably be right in your business - taking Carolines and being reinforced by Anzac - almost immediately.  
    You will not be able to punish them for it unless you’ve placed a disproportionately large amount of air power nearby.

• I am actually in the process of making a video for the first 4 turns. Possibly the entire game. I am playing this by myself against myself and using low luck to weed out any horrible rolls scewing the game. Should get this up on youtube in a couple weeks. I am going to have US go 100% against Japan in the pacific.

• If you want to see my strategy for Japan look at my game with gaaza. I know Gaaza might have played differently than you might, but this is pretty much how I would play japan in most of my games.

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

I am actually in the process of making a video for the first 4 turns. Possibly the entire game. I am playing this by myself against myself and using low luck to weed out any horrible rolls scewing the game. Should get this up on youtube in a couple weeks. I am going to have US go 100% against Japan in the pacific.

That sounds great, but it won’t account for what I would do to counter your moves as the Americans.

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

If you want to see my strategy for Japan look at my game with gaaza. I know Gaaza might have played differently than you might, but this is pretty much how I would play japan in most of my games.

Again…… This won’t put into account my American blueprint.

• I understand. But did you see how many naval units I had after R5? Where they were possitioned? The US could have taken Carolines. I honestly don’t care to much about this place since I think queensland is a better staging area for the money islands. I am just trying to say that the allies can’t move as fast as you are predicting. Japan just has way to many units to counter you with.

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

I understand. But did you see how many naval units I had after R5? Where they were possitioned? The US could have taken Carolines. I honestly don’t care to much about this place since I think queensland is a better staging area for the money islands. I am just trying to say that the allies can’t move as fast as you are predicting. Japan just has way to many units to counter you with.

I don’t have the battlemap program I need to open your game, and I’m not interested in downloading it. Just look at my blueprint on the first page of this thread and tell me what you would do as Japan in the same of detailed report.

• grasshopper how do you stop Germany from dominating in the atlantic?

• Sponsor

@theROCmonster:

grasshopper how do you stop Germany from dominating in the atlantic?

Lots of British aircraft, and a few destroyers built in Canada.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m