• I have had this game for a year and a half and I usally prefer to play as Germany. Over the course of several dozen games, i have devolopeda very uniqe strategy; build a battlehip, 2 cruisers, and a destroyer in the baltic to distract the British navy while using subs to tie down their transports. build another transport in the mediteranian to increase the number of troops in Africa while at the same time bombing Britain and launching a massive assult on Russia. build a lot of infantry and artilllery for turns 1 and 2 and then send in the tanks! This strategy has not failed me yet! The allies can not possibly hope to stop such a massive assult going in 3 main directions; Britain, Africa, and Russia. If anyone has a srategy OR a suggestion, I would gladly implement that…. or be prepared for someone to use it against me.

• So how do you buy alot of fleet AND a lot of inf/art AND some bombers?

Sounds pretty stoppable to me, if the Allies focus on 1 or 2 of those 3 “massive” attacks.

A Baltic fleet doesn’t stop a UK navy being built (a few subs won’t harm them if they buy sensibly - for example 1 or 2 dd’s + an AC, land figs on the carrier, USA can add their cruiser if needed). And if the battleship survives round 1 it is even a solid fleet on its own.
    Roaming German subs should of course be dealt with (that’s what the destroyers are for), the German fleet, as long as it stays the Baltic, doesn’t pose much threat, so it doesn’t even need to be attacked.

When you build a Baltic fleet like that, your Med fleet will probably be targeted early on (buying a TRP for it will only make it a juicier target), cutting off your African reinforcements and taking some pressure off Caucasus.
    After that Africa can be handled with American help.

Russia can stand its own for a while, if it is agressive (without being reckless) in the first rounds. Later on UK and even USA can reinforce Russia.

A lot will also depend on what Japan is doing.

• Against a Russian (and Allied) player who knows what he’s doing Germany would have a lot of problems on the Eastern front for a lack of troops. You mention 1 battleship (20 IPC), 2 cruisers (24), 1 destroyer and 1 transport (15) - just that accounts for 1 1/2 rounds of German production. Plus 4 ground units to send to Africa… Germans don’t have enough ground troops to prevent Russia from moving an unbeatable stack to Ukraine and when that happens…

• '12

Hobbes is 100% right.

I think you should play a few games online here if you are like me and prefer a bit more leisurely pace in order to ponder moves and possible twists.  If you prefer games to be finished quickly there are several places where you can play in real-time over the net.  I think strategies developed in isolation often look great, until they don’t work against a new way of dealing with it your local group may not come up with.

Against a opponent who has the ‘cross-fertilization’ of varied opponents you will see what I mean.

If the germans are in an arms race with two nations who have to build navy and airforce anyways, your ground forces will be neglected and the russians will or should walk over you.

• Where would I play Axis and Allies online? could you give me a link? Also, I have succsesfully used this strategy against 3 very different opponents.

• @Lufftwaffe:

Where would I play Axis and Allies online? could you give me a link? Also, I have succsesfully used this strategy against 3 very different opponents.

did these opponents play very defensive? What did they do?

• @Lufftwaffe:

Where would I play Axis and Allies online? could you give me a link? Also, I have succsesfully used this strategy against 3 very different opponents.

Try either Game Table Online (paid, the official site) or TripleA (open source strategy game, several scenarios, one of them, v4 is Spring 1942).

• did these opponents play very defensive? What did they do?

One opponent was a riisk taker, example, I had 7 inf and 3 tanks, he had 4 inf and 4 tanks with one fighter, even though he was outnumbered, he still attacked again and again and so on. Another opponent was very very good at long term strategy, he was thinking 2 or 3 turns ahead! And the other was a mediocre player, not much skill with movements or purchases but good knowing where to attack.

• '12

Luftwaffe, games are played on this site.  There is a facility here to use a forum posting to roll dice.  There is a map utility called Battlemap that allows you to post maps to show your builds and the results of moves and combat.  This map file is then uploaded for your opponent to download and do their move.  It’s a great way to see how others play the game.  You find games here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=40.0

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m