• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Clyde85:

@domicron:

……

WTF Mate? what was that even about? I couldnt even find something tangentially related to Axis&Allies in that post.

On official bussiness, Jen, are they going to be re-releasing the A&A1940 games as a single entity with a new offical rule book based on the Alpha changes?

Yea, I have no idea who or what he is talking about.  Eh, whatever.

Pushing on….

I would like it if they would release Global as a single box…buying two boxes is annoying!  (One is invariably out of stock!  And you know Murphy!  If two things need to be together to work, they cannot POSSIBLY be shipped together!  ie:  Europe and Pacific need to be together to work as Global 1940, but they currently are not shipped together in the same box!)

• Customizer

I agree that it would be better if both Europe and Pacific were bundled in one neat package with all the maps, country pieces, etc. included.  If anyone just wanted to play Europe by itself, or Pacific by itself, I think they still could.  Won’t the new rules re-print cover theater specific items (like kamikazes and China rules)?
    One problem with this from a marketing point of view though.  If WOTC sold the game as one package of Global 1940, then they would probably have to charge $140-$160.  They could cut a few costs, like not so many IC, Base and AA Gun counters, but there isn’t a lot that is really the same in both games.  There are also plastic chips and dice.  Still, you couldn’t cut too much because you would need almost twice as much for the entire Global game.  Plus with the new rules for AA Guns, you need a lot more of those unless you use chips for the extra.  They could change the packaging some and maybe bring the price down some from the cost of buying each game seperately.  Last I checked Europe 1940 and Pacific 1940 were selling for about $80 each.  So, if someone did want the Global game, and WOTC managed to sell that for $140 or so, you could save a little that way.
    However, some people may not be willing to put out $140 or more, but would be more willing to put out $80 for one or the other.  Perhaps they want to try out Europe and see if they like the game.  Then, if they do like it, they can add the Pacific game later, or visa versa.  If they don’t like it, for whatever reason, at least they are only out $80 rather than say $150.
    So, it just seems to me that it would be easier for WOTC to market two $80 games rather than one $140-160 game.  Of course, the ideal solution would be for them to put out Europe and Pacific for $80 each AND put out a new Global game for $140-150.  Then everyone could have their choice.

I think WOTC should offer them seperately as they are now AND for -$20 a box set with both in one box. (Less packing material at least!)

I also think WOTC should offer a metallic set with porcelain enamelled metal pieces…prolly for $899 or more depending on costs.  A “collector’s edition”.  Probably re-release Anniversary in the same mold for $1495.  Bet they would make a KILLING on those!

• @Cmdr:

I also think WOTC should offer a metallic set with porcelain enamelled metal pieces…prolly for $899 or more depending on costs.  A “collector’s edition”.  Probably re-release Anniversary in the same mold for $1495.  Bet they would make a KILLING on those!

An intresting idea, some sort of special edition would probably sell well but this was the same company that was too cheap to give Italy their own tanks again! I think you’d be better off asking for a unicorn as you are more likely to get one of those before you see either of these “collectors editions” come into existance  :lol:

@Clyde85:

@Cmdr:

An intresting idea, some sort of special edition would probably sell well but this was the same company that was too cheap to give Italy their own tanks again! I think you’d be better off asking for a unicorn as you are more likely to get one of those before you see either of these “collectors editions” come into existance  :lol:

Can it be pink with lavender hair and purple socks!!!

• Customizer

Maybe WOTC could get together with the Franklin Mint for such a set.  I used to have the Franklin Mint’s Monopoly game.  The game board was on a big mahogany wood case with a little drawer for the money and pieces.  The little houses were metal with silver plating and the hotels were metal with gold plating.  It was all very cool but too fancy to play with on a regular basis and took up too much space so I ended up selling it.  The game cost me roughly $600 and that was back in the 90s.  I can’t imagine what some sort of super deluxe collector’s version of A&A would cost at today’s prices.

@knp7765:

Maybe WOTC could get together with the Franklin Mint for such a set.  I used to have the Franklin Mint’s Monopoly game.  The game board was on a big mahogany wood case with a little drawer for the money and pieces.  The little houses were metal with silver plating and the hotels were metal with gold plating.  It was all very cool but too fancy to play with on a regular basis and took up too much space so I ended up selling it.  The game cost me roughly $600 and that was back in the 90s.  I can’t imagine what some sort of super deluxe collector’s version of A&A would cost at today’s prices.

Precisely what I was thinking of!

• Build-your-own-table Kit?

@Zallomallo:

Build-your-own-table Kit?

I did, for Revised.  It has little toggle switches to change the color of the territory (All are clear when the table is unplugged) which is kind of cool, at least I think so.  I am SOOO not putting the time, effort and money into one for Global!  For one thing, it’d be way too large to store anywhere!  For another, my Revised table cost me over $300 to make (mostly for the furniture grade mahogony.)

• I’m working on building a gaming table for Global, each country has 4 compartments (one for Land, Air, Naval units, and a misc. box for AA Guns, NB, AB, IC’s and grey/red markers) and a recess for the game board itself to sit in. When not being used I’ll put the top on it and it can be used for other things. All black cherry stained mahogany. Once I get my units painted and sealed I’ll have a setup that should survive me :).
    The toggle switches are an interesting touch, would be a lot of wiring I would think. You have different colors for every territory? Or just an Axis controlled, Allied controlled and a neutral?
    C

• @Cmdr:

@Zallomallo:

I did, for Revised.  It has little toggle switches to change the color of the territory (All are clear when the table is unplugged) which is kind of cool, at least I think so.  I am SOOO not putting the time, effort and money into one for Global!  For one thing, it’d be way too large to store anywhere!  For another, my Revised table cost me over $300 to make (mostly for the furniture grade mahogony.)

Holy crap!  How is that even possible?  That would take like 100+ hours of work.

@Zallomallo:

@Cmdr:

@Zallomallo:

Holy crap!  How is that even possible?  That would take like 100+ hours of work.

Something like that, yes.  Hand painted, stained wood with a polish to a high luster.  Had to get car sized lightbulbs for it as well (all those used car parts from the junkyard!)  It’s beautiful!

I don’t think I want to do it for Global 1940, and I’ve been informed that I cannot make them and market them without getting permission and so I won’t be doing that anyway…that is even if I could find someone nuts enough to buy it!

• I see Larry posted on his site  Sounds like alpha 3 is it he’s moved on to something else

• HAHA, if I was Larry I’d be thinking the same thing.  Drop this turd and move on!

• A few questions about rockets. Is it only airbases that can fire rocket or can aaguns still do it too, though only with 3 spaces as normal?

If i fire against londons IC from germany, can i also fire from paris(germany) to london choosing a different target?

• So is it a safe bet this thing is done? I haven’t played it yet because I didn’t want to get any wrong ideas. I’m dying to give it a go.

@Niax:

A few questions about rockets. Is it only airbases that can fire rocket or can aaguns still do it too, though only with 3 spaces as normal?

If i fire against londons IC from germany, can i also fire from paris(germany) to london choosing a different target?

4 Spaces for Rockets and yes only Air Bases launch rockets now.

Each Airbase may fire one rocket - total.

@cyscott1:

So is it a safe bet this thing is done? I haven’t played it yet because I didn’t want to get any wrong ideas. I’m dying to give it a go.

I’m rather sure Alpha +4 will be released sometime in Feb.

• Customizer

@cyscott1:

So is it a safe bet this thing is done? I haven’t played it yet because I didn’t want to get any wrong ideas. I’m dying to give it a go.

@Cmdr:

I think cyscott1 was referring to the official (Alpha+3 ?  :? ) rules - which is the heading for this thread, the rules approved/backed by Larry. Cyscott1?

Cyscott1,  I guess the rumor is that the “omega” is done… but who’s to say that there aren’t some more changes that we won’t know about until the copy is in our hands? Eh eh eh… kinda like the military, ‘hurry up and wait…’

• @Cmdr:

What leads you to believe that? I’ve been skimming on Larry’s site but haven’t seen anything to suggest that. He’s being kind of vague, setting a deadline for the finished rules and then updating them afterwards…

@McMan:

@Cmdr:

What leads you to believe that? I’ve been skimming on Larry’s site but haven’t seen anything to suggest that. He’s being kind of vague, setting a deadline for the finished rules and then updating them afterwards…

The fact that you have almost a 100% chance of getting England and India by round 5 tells me that.  I’ve sent numerous game reports and detailed instructions to Larry (via his website) demonstrating the futility of trying to keep either capitol.

With both capitols in your pocket, the game is very difficult for the allies to recover now.  I’ve got one game going that even after Japan won, we’re seeing if Germany can recover and push teh 70 IPC a round Russians back out. (BTW, looks like it might be a success in the next 5 rounds, which is very sad since there have been almost no Axis ships in the Atlantic for most the game…I just turtled and waited for Japan.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m