• Some friends and I played A and A Europe last night under the Alpha +3 rules. I fear that I misinterpreted the rules for AA guns. I read the passage “each AA gun in the territory may fire up to 3 times but only once per attacking air unit”. London’s 5 AA guns should be able to role once against each of three attacking German fighters in an amphibious assault then for a maximum of 15 die rolls. 5 AA guns each firing 3 times against each of 3 attacking air units.

However, the next sentence of the rules places the maximum number of rolls at the actual number of attacking planes - as it alpha +2. In fact, it is a more binding constraint in that the total dice rolled is the lesser of 3x the AA guns or the number of attacking planes. In the amphibious assault described above, the 5 London AA guns  could generate no more than 3 die rolls against the 3 German airplanes.

So … which is the correct interpretation?

• I believe it’s 3 rolls per aa gun no matter what, then you just choose casualites after that.  Seems pretty simple.

• “Each AA gun in the territory may fire up to three times, but only once per attacking air unit. In other words, the total number of air defense dice rolled is three times the number of AA guns, or the number of attacking air units, whichever is the lesser.”

It’s written plainly, 3 shots per AA gun OR the number of attacking air units, whichever is the lesser. So 4 AA guns vs 2 aircraft is still only two shots from the AA guns.

Hope this helps.

C

• Customizer

Think of it this way:  Each AA Gun has the “Possibility” of firing 3 shots. 
    SO, if you have 1 AA gun and the enemy attacks with 3 planes, you will get 3 AA shots. 
    However, if the enemy attacks with 4 or more planes, your single AA gun still gets ONLY 3 shots. 
    If your enemy attacks with just 2 planes, your AA gun will only get 2 AA shots.

• Thanks for the clarification, folks

• I’m really uncertain about this too…
    I read it like:
    Each AA can fire once per attacking plane, but maximum at 3 planes!

So 3 AA vs 5 planes will be 9 AA shots!

Clarification would be very much apreciated  :|

• An AA can fire at 3 planes maximum BUT there can be no more shots than there are aircraft.

So:
    1 AA vs 3 planes : 3 shots
    2 AA vs 3 planes : 3 shots
    1 AA vs 5 planes : 3 shots
    2 AA vs 5 planes : 5 shots

• Official Q&A

Carnage and knp7765 are correct.

• '22 '16

Say you have 2 AA guns and 2 Strat bombers, 1 tac bomber and 1 fighter attacking.  Would you roll the dice separately for each type of plane?  Or roll all 5 dice at once and defender chooses casualties.  We always gave the choice to the attacker how they would like to roll.  Just wondering if that is okay or the rules state it differently.  Thanks.

• Official Q&A

One die is rolled for each air unit, and the attacker chooses any casualties.

• Thanks!
    I thought those AA guns were far too lethal. But now I get it  :-D

• Sponsor

@elque:

London’s 5 AA guns should be able to role once against each of three attacking German fighters in an amphibious assault then for a maximum of 15 die rolls. 5 AA guns each firing 3 times against each of 3 attacking air units.

the 5 London AA guns  could generate no more than 3 die rolls against the 3 German airplanes.

So … which is the correct interpretation?

In the Alpha+3 rules, London begins the game with 4 AA guns ( not sure if your scenario had the UK purchasing one or not, but just wanted to point that out)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m