• Hi guys, I’m new to this forum so please excuse me if this has allready been answered…

If I attack a territory and kill all defending troops, can I still retreat?
    This came up in a game I played yesterday. I attacked yugo with germany and wanted to retreat so italy could take it. I got very lucky dice and killed them all first round. My friend then said that I couldn’t retreat because there were no more defending troops. What is correct?

• he is correct, you have won the battle, hence taken the territory, so you can’t retreat.

• Ok, thank you.
    I have another question:
    Is it allowed to blitz into a territory and then move the tank back to the territory it came from?

• @Kjakan:

Ok, thank you.
    I have another question:
    Is it allowed to blitz into a territory and then move the tank back to the territory it came from?

as far as i know that is allowed, yes.

But (and i’m not completely sure about this) if there is anything there, be it a naval or air base or factory or AA, it will stop the tank from blitzing

• Customizer

Yes, this is true.  Any type of facility stops a blitz.  Also, you can blitz an enemy territory and move your tank to another friendly territory if you like.

• Customizer

Now I have a retreat question.  This is kind of specific and came up in our game last night.
    Germany attacks SZ 109 with 1 submarine, 1 fighter and 2 Stukas.  The UK has 1 destroyer and 1 transport there and scrambles 2 British fighters and 1 French fighter.  Both sides got 2 hits.  The UK removes the destroyer and French fighter as casualties and Germany removes both Stukas as casualties –- leaving 2 British fighters and 1 transport against 1 German Submarine and 1 German Fighter.
    My question is:  Could the German fighter retreat and leave the submarine in SZ 109 to destroy the British transport since the British Fighters can not hit the sub?  Or do both German units have to retreat together?
    The way we resolved it is to have the fighter retreat and the submarine submerge.  While the transport survives, at least the sub can still interdict the British convoy for 3 IPCs.  I think this was the correct way to do it other than having the sub also retreat to a friendly SZ.

• @knp7765:

Now I have a retreat question.  This is kind of specific and came up in our game last night.
    Germany attacks SZ 109 with 1 submarine, 1 fighter and 2 Stukas.  The UK has 1 destroyer and 1 transport there and scrambles 2 British fighters and 1 French fighter.  Both sides got 2 hits.  The UK removes the destroyer and French fighter as casualties and Germany removes both Stukas as casualties –- leaving 2 British fighters and 1 transport against 1 German Submarine and 1 German Fighter.
    My question is:  Could the German fighter retreat and leave the submarine in SZ 109 to destroy the British transport since the British Fighters can not hit the sub?  Or do both German units have to retreat together?
    The way we resolved it is to have the fighter retreat and the submarine submerge.  While the transport survives, at least the sub can still interdict the British convoy for 3 IPCs.  I think this was the correct way to do it other than having the sub also retreat to a friendly SZ.

Submarines have two options to “retreat”.

They can either submerge at the beginning of combat rather than firing a shot(but all other units there will fight at least that round of combat), or they can retreat with the entire force at the end of combat to a seazone in which at least one ship travelled through to get to the contested seazone.

I believe in your example that constitutes an illegal move.  I’m fairly certain either the sub would submerge and the fighter would have another round of combat, or the sub retreats to an adjacent seazone it came from (NOT a seazone that the aircraft came from) while the plane retreats from combat but remains in the seazone and moves away during the noncombat phase.  You cannot selectively retreat aircraft from the battle - it’s all naval and air units or none.

The only exception for partial retreats is during amphibious assaults, where units that weren’t unloaded by transport can retreat, leaving those units that were unloaded alone on the beaches.

• Customizer

I thought that submerging was a form of retreating that was unique to subs since it happens before any other units roll for combat like the suprise strike (unless an enemy destroyer is present of course).

So, if I choose to submerge the sub, it counts as a form of combat and the fighter would have to roll again and suffer the enemy counter-roll?  Perhaps I should have simply left the sub in the SZ, sacrificed the fighter and allowed the sub to destroy the UK transport after all.

• @knp7765:

I thought that submerging was a form of retreating that was unique to subs since it happens before any other units roll for combat like the suprise strike (unless an enemy destroyer is present of course).

So, if I choose to submerge the sub, it counts as a form of combat and the fighter would have to roll again and suffer the enemy counter-roll?  Perhaps I should have simply left the sub in the SZ, sacrificed the fighter and allowed the sub to destroy the UK transport after all.

It is unique to subs, but as you just said, it happens before any other units roll for combat. Subs can choose to submerge anytime they would otherwise roll, unless a destroyer is present.  That choice is at the beginning of a round of combat, while the decision to retreat is at the end of the round of combat.  Either all units remain for another round of combat (with subs having the unique ability to submerge rather than rolling) or all units retreat.

• Customizer

Okay, I see the difference now.  So basically, the ability to submerge for submarines is considered for gaming purposes a form of combat rather than retreat.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Especially when I submerge your subs for you…. PERMANENTLY.

• Customizer

Ah, I recognize that philosophy:  “There are few submarine problems that can’t be resolved with a suitable application of depth charges”.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m