Gargantua's Encirclement Rules

• Customizer

What about paratroopers… they shouldn’t be as susceptible.  To quote Band of Brothers, “We’re airborne, we’re used to being surrounded.”  :wink:

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

2. Anything encircled 2 rounds or more, can’t attack AT ALL.  And your opponent rolls 1 dice @2 or less (On your combat move)  To see if any units die.  This is it simulate the attrition of starvation/cold/weather/ etc.

So in other words, don’t lave your units encircled!

Okay, I get it.  So you have these 10 infantry encircled for 2 rounds, your enemy rolls 10 dice and for each 2 or less, that many of the encircled troops die that round.  Then on round 3, they can do it again and perhaps kill a few more.  So basically your enemy is eliminating this infantry pocket WITHOUT actual combat.
    Does this rule also apply to captals?  EG:  Axis forces surround Moscow. 
    How about other territories with ICs on them?  EG:  Stalingrad is surrounded by Axis.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Personally, I would say YES if you want to go the historical road.

In BOTH Leningrad, and Stalingrad,  people were eating PEOPLE by the end!  Moscow would be no different.

NO exceptions for paratroopers, if they are “Abandoned” for months behind enemy lines, they’re going to DIE eventually!

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

NO exceptions for paratroopers, if they are “Abandoned” for months behind enemy lines, they’re going to DIE eventually!

Yeah, I figured as much considering the amount of time each turn roughly represents. Still… I like the quote so I couldn’t resist  8-)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Paratroopers talk a big game…

But for examle, if Patton hadn’t have broken through to Bastogne,  they would have been massacred :S

• Customizer

Well, they did have it rough.  My late father - the one pictured as my avatar - was part of the armored units that broke through to Bastogne.

• Customizer

So your dad was in a tank in WW2?  COOL!  What did he do?  Commander, Gunner, Driver?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gargantua:

But for examle, if Patton hadn’t have broken through to Bastogne,  they would have been massacred :S

I still think it is a bit complicated.

Just have a rule that says you have a full round, from the time you are cut off, to establish a line of supply (unbroken, but you can make it as conveluted as you need to establish it) to a friendly industrial complex or all units in the territory are lost.  It must be a major industrial complex or convoy zone (free of enemy warships.)  That stops you from building a minor complex to supply your troops and stops the enemy from just taking a major complex and cutting off your entire continent since you can get to a convoy zone instead.

Maybe I think too simply?  It just seems the easier it is to understand, the better the chances of using it and spreading the idea to others.

• Customizer

@knp7765:

So your dad was in a tank in WW2?  COOL!  What did he do?  Commander, Gunner, Driver?

He was rank in a Sherman (commander/guy on top) - though I remember him laughing his *** off when I termed him a “tank commander” (he was a modest guy).  Tank’s name was Sioux City Sue (kinda why I put names and slogans on my Sherman A&A pieces   :wink:)  I was fortunate enough to go to some of his last army reunions… whew, the tales I heard!  And I got to copy everyone’s photos from the war - at that point, the reunions were combining several divisions due to the dwindling number of veterans.  Next time I visit home (U.S.), I’ll scan some of his photos and post 'em.  Some good ones - one of a blown up Panther, another has some captured 88’s in the background.  Interesting bits of history… I think there are some photos of his crew with some of the paratroopers that were encircled actually.  The paratroopers were pretty beat-up and damn glad to see them.

• Customizer

@Cmdr:

@Gargantua:

But for examle, if Patton hadn’t have broken through to Bastogne,  they would have been massacred :S

I still think it is a bit complicated.

Just have a rule that says you have a full round, from the time you are cut off, to establish a line of supply (unbroken, but you can make it as conveluted as you need to establish it) to a friendly industrial complex or all units in the territory are lost.  It must be a major industrial complex or convoy zone (free of enemy warships.)  That stops you from building a minor complex to supply your troops and stops the enemy from just taking a major complex and cutting off your entire continent since you can get to a convoy zone instead.

Maybe I think too simply?  It just seems the easier it is to understand, the better the chances of using it and spreading the idea to others.

I prefer the notion of keeping it simple.  My A&A “house rules” games have so many rules as it is…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m