Germany - Attack France, UK, and Soviets on G1?

• I recently played my first game of A&A:G and lost due to, what I assume, was my passive nature being reflected on the battler field.

I used Germany to destroy the French and UK on G1, however essentially turtled in respect with the Soviet Union.  I underestimated their production ability, and had one hell of a time breaking through their fortified line.

So the strategy that I propose now is essentially a blitz on all fronts, I will destroy France, attack the UK fleet, and break the Soviets already shattered defensive line.  I assume that Germany should be able to push them back, gain a small number of IPC’s, and spread the Soviets out a bit.  I hope that by spreading the units out the Soviet player will hopefully retreat a portion of his units, and place purchased units, in Moscow.  While it will be a few turns until I can outright destroy Moscow, I can atleast reduce their influence in the area.

Thoughts?  I have not read many strategies that involve the above, I assume there is a reason for that fact.

• Have fun, let us know how your G1 attack on USSR goes.  I have favored a G2 attack usually as it gives you a round to setup.  Good luck.

• I should be interesting.

I suppose there is a trade off, I can hit them on G1 when they are truly weak, or G2 and have time to organize.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

France G1 obviously…

Russia G2 if you want to hit them hard…

Russia G3 or G4 is what I prefer, with a Japanese encursion.

Also, if your opponent is better, the “Onus” of the game if you will, is on the AXIS to win it.  If they do nothing or are weak, the Allies win by “default” if you will.  So…  play as the Allies if your buddy is better.  Give him the hill to climb, and you’ll learn alot!

• Upon closer inspection of the board I believe the attack on the Soviet Union on G2 would make the most sense.  There’s enough units on the border to cause problems, but not enough to made a solid defense.

• I like the idea of letting your buddy play as the Axis. Honestly, playing from a different perspective might shine some light on your proposed strategies.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gargantua:

France G1 obviously…

Russia G2 if you want to hit them hard…

Russia G3 or G4 is what I prefer, with a Japanese encursion.

Also, if your opponent is better, the “Onus” of the game if you will, is on the AXIS to win it.  If they do nothing or are weak, the Allies win by “default” if you will.  So…  play as the Allies if your buddy is better.  Give him the hill to climb, and you’ll learn alot!

Dont make the mistake of being timid with Japan either.  I should have destroyed the Malayan Battleboad, the Philippines (and associated watercraft) and the fleet at Pearl when I invaded Russia on G2.

• Wouldn’t it make sense to leave those alone until around turn 3 to avoid the US being brought into the war?  Seems like delaying the increases IPC collection would be beneficial.

@-Wolverine-:

Wouldn’t it make sense to leave those alone until around turn 3 to avoid the US being brought into the war?  Seems like delaying the increases IPC collection would be beneficial.

No.  If you’re going balls to the walls, you may as well pummel the Pacific as well.  With 2 submarines in SZ 101, and the Japanese fleet in SZ 26, America should be feeling some pressure.  Hey, if yer lucky, you might even sink the Cruiser in SZ 101 with the Germans too!

• Couldn’t those same resources be used against China then India?  Seems that they pose a more immediate threat than the US.

Wolverine, Jen’s play is…  well it needs some work.

I would suggest you learn from a plethera of players here… instead of just the “louder” ones.

• I am doing my best to read up on everything, 1940 is an excellent game with quite a few possibilities.

Get battlemap, and get in the fight bro!

• What is battle map?

@-Wolverine-:

What is battle map?

Free software that allows you to set up the map and move units around it.

• In my latest played game I went into Russia on G3 and also J3. On G7 Moscow fell (G6 the Russian stack was destroyed at Bryansk). The Axis have 145 IPC (+20 bonus) vs Allies 120 (+30 bonus) but the combined Anglo Americans could take Rome and that might work for them, but probably not since Germany now has 99 IPCs available for the next turn and Japan 73 (the last remnants of the Chinese/Russians together in one territory and UK Pacific limited to India with convoy blocked). By US5 the allies decided to gang up on Germany and Italy from the west but forgot that Japan can now send a chunk of its fleet and airforce west as well. With ANZAC neutralized (everything on Australia and no transports) it should be game over.

Lesson learned, when you go for Russia, go from west and east, do not hold back. Every IPC Japan claims could just prevent the Russians from buying that one extra unit.

• Alright, a G1 attack wasn’t practical.

However the G2 attack was.  The Soviet lines fell immediately, at which point the only substantial resistance was in left in Leningrad and Moscow.  All of the out lying territories either offered little resistance or retreated to Moscow.  Moscow fell about three turns after the fall of Leningrad.

However

This may not work if your Allies opponent is an aggressive player.  I essentially committed everything to the Easter Front until the point that my forces were in the territories adjacent to  Moscow.  Had my opponent been aggressive, I imagine I would have problems in Europe itself.  However, the Soviet Union simply cannot hold their ground under the pressure of the full German machine.

• For the Russians a defensive strategy that works fairly well is to place only one person in your most foward three territories and build you main defensive line in the next four territories. This give you an extra turn to build units and ready yourself while helping the units you make in Moscow get to your front line faster. Also if you play it correctly you can have enough tanks, artillery, and infantry stocked up to launch a massive counter attack after the initial German push to capture the three territories that you left only one guy in. Just make sure to place those three infantry pieces to stop the Germans from blitzing right through your carefully laid out plan. I have tried this before and it really does work well. Because even though after the counter attack the Germans will break through you can just retreat while using the units fom Moscow to bolster the lines you left behind. All in all this is a very good technique for slowing the German war machine and sometimes can slow them down enough to where they have barely begun to push into Russia when America attacks!

• I think as Russia it is most important to decide if you want to defend south or North.  Then you should clump your army up in to as large a counter stack as you can.  Then when the Germans advance you can smack them and retreat, or force them in the direction of your choosing.

I never spread my units out on the Eastern front as either power.

• '10

Next game, we’ll try an G1/J1 assault.

That will be fun… :evil:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m