• Hey lads (and lasses),

I met Yanny in a game some months back and he pointed me to this site. I’ve read occasionally and kept it in mind as a great resource for knowledgable and experienced Axis & Allies people.

Since then, however, I also got a job as the art director at Wizards of the Coast to the Avalon Hill line of games, which includes A&A. As a fan of Squad Leader, I’m really excited about my new job.

I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on the graphic presentation of the Axis & Allies game(s). Loose impressions are great, and specific observations are great too. I understand that this is “free” research for me and so any contribution you make is really appreciated. Since you all seem pretty cool and casual, I didn’t think it would be a problem to throw some questions at you.

Are there parts of the game that just feel dorky or out of place with the type of game it is?
    Does your version feel dated? (I know that mine smells like 50-year old mildewy cardboard).
    What do you keep your pieces and IPCs in, if anything?
    Do you use (and how often do you refer to) the reference cards?
    Do you like or dislike the board? Why?
    Is your box all beat to hell? Do you still have the box?
    If you use the box, what is in it that didn’t come with the game (ziploc bags, variant rules, etc.)?
    Is the rulebook easy to read and use? Can you find what you’re looking for easily?
    Do you like the box illustrations? What about the rulebook ones?
    Got anything else you like or dislike about how the game or pieces look?

Thanks for your time!
    Pete

(edited for typo, damn my thumbs!)

• Are there parts of the game that just feel dorky or out of place with the type of game it is?

Nope.

Does your version feel dated? (I know that mine smells like 50-year old mildewy cardboard).

Not looking to buy a new board yet, but I recommend it to everyone I know.

I try to use the styrofoam boxes, but you know how that goes. Plastic tray boxes would be nice. If you want to get real fancy, there could be raised icons to indicate which pieces go in which box.

Use them every game. I don’t need them, but not every player has the rules or initial setup memorized.

It’s very comfortable to me. I wouldn’t cry if it were changed though.

Beat to hell? Yes. Someone stepped on it and it also resides in a high traffic area at my workplace. I can only role dice on one side of it now.

If you use the box, what is in it that didn’t come with the game (ziploc bags, variant rules, etc.)?

There aren’t enough chips. No matter where I play, we are always borrowing chips from other boards or flipping over control markers. I’ve had to go out and buy a bunch of mini poker chips just to keep playing. I’ve also used blue chips that count as 10 which is handy for those large infantry stacks.

Is the rulebook easy to read and use? Can you find what you’re looking for easily?

Not really. It takes a while to hunt down rules. There are also some things that need clarifying such as the transport rules.

I like them a lot.

The country colors should be more distinct like in the other games. I’ve had a few games where UK forces were mysteriously fighting for the Japanese.

My usual consulting fee is 4000 yen an hour, minimum half an hour. You owe me $16. :wink:

• '19 Moderator

Well, I for one hope you stop by here tolet us in on what is goingon over there at WotC. I know a lot of us where a bit conserned when the took over the AH line. Just don’t start adding cards to every thing :P

@Thumb:

Hey lads (and lasses),
    Are there parts of the game that just feel dorky or out of place with the type of game it is?

Nope.

@Thumb:

I have 3 copies, but I would be compelled to pick up a new game if an updated release came out.

@Thumb:

I have used Zip-lok bags and plastic organizers. Right now I am looking at geting a tool box or fishing tackle box.
    The holders realy need a lid, the first half hour of every game is finding all your pieces and puting them back in your tray.
    @Thumb:

I use them for setup
    @Thumb:

the only problem I have with the board is more of a rule issue. I think the Neutral countries should have an IPC value. Cosmeticly I like it.
    @Thumb:

every couple of years I have to do reconstructive surgery on on or more of my boxes. two of the three are held together with tape.
    @Thumb:

World at War expansion, poker chips and my personal dice(black with red dots)
    @Thumb:

I don’t have a problem with the rule book.
    @Thumb:

I never realy thought about it, so I guess they look good to me. If a new release were to come out I would expect it to be different though.
    @Thumb:

The pieces are stone age compared to the Pacific and Europe versions. and I agree that the Japs and brits look too much alike.

• Are there parts of the game that just feel dorky or out of place with the type of game it is?

No

No, it is still good, despite the flooding basement.

The pieces are in the original styrofoam containers and the IPC’s have a rubberand.

We only use them for setup and that is only when we haven’t played for a while. The rest of the time the are not used.

Board is fine, except for the territories that are blown up. Sometimes units are placed in them and then we forget about them when it comes time to roll the dice.

The box is a little ripped, but mostly okay.

Maybe some extra dice, but that’s it.

The rulebook is not real clear on some points, transports, some seazones.

They are fine.

Unit color is a good point, make the Japanese and Brits more disimilar. Other than that they are fine.

No
    No
    Plastic storage boxes
    Only during set up or when teaching someone new to play.
    Dislike, more spaces are needed.
    Yes, and yes
    Variant rules would be nice
    Have no problems with the rules
    Love the art work on the box, the rule book could use a facelift
    Country specific pieces would be nice with the ablity to order addtional pieces if needed

does this mean WotC is thinking of re-releaseing the original game only revamped and updated?

Thoes426 :evil:

• It´s a good game and I´ll save a lot of my own time by just mentioning the things I think could be changed.

As dzrtfish wrote: Some sort of better “organizer” for the pieces. Some form of box where all the pieces could fit into easily and with a lid. There should be room in the box for this, since the box is pretty big.

As Kobu said: More chips! Not only single chip markers, but also higher values. I´m using green chips from a poker set to mark tens. And I STILL have to flip the icon-markers for more values.

Since almost everyone uses the box to roll the dice in, maybe the box should be made of a sturdier material. It´s essential to have a good box!

• I use plastic storage trays with snap-top lids.
    Makes for good traveling with your pieces.
    I use 6 of the 5 slot trays, one for each country,
    and one for everything else.

• @morten200:

More chips! Not only single chip markers, but also higher values. I´m using green chips from a poker set to mark tens. And I STILL have to flip the icon-markers for more values.

take some paint (ie: black) paint maybe 10 chips and say they are worth 25 or 50

• do you do computer graphics by any chance?

• Thanks for all the great responses. I can see that storage options for the pieces are high on everyone’s list, followed closely by greater denominations for tokens.

It’s a shame that tooling custom plastic pieces is so complicated (and costly). I would love to include snapping boxes (like RISK used to have).

I thought was an interesting observation about the similarity in the brown pieces. I’ve never encountered any confusion, but I can see how it could happen.

(dezrtfish, I know what you mean about storage options. For AH’s ASL, I keep my pieces in hundreds of film canisters that I got from a giant film processing company in town. They work great…but are too small for A&A. Maybe empty peanut cans or large baby food jars would work.)

(Maybe, Thoes.)

Thanks again everyone!

Pete

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m