Oil is the worst thing for a country to have…

• Oil is just about one of the worst things that a country can have in terms of what they can offer to the rest of the world. First, the government can easily get its hands on the money it needs, therefore ensuring success without the need to tax people to hell. Since the government is not dependent on the people, the people have little/no say in what goes on, nor do they have any interest in ensuring that a stable government exists.

In my opinion, this is why the majority of the middle east is failing so miserably. Not only do they have absolutely zilch to offer the rest of the world (except for oil, of course), the people do not seem to have an attitude with a willingness to change their current situation. Call it passivity, ignorance, or even oppression but I still maintain that they are doomed in the future if most of them don’t change their current situation now.

• @Deviant:Scripter:

Since the government is not dependent on the people, the people have little/no say in what goes on, nor do they have any interest in ensuring that a stable government exists.

I disagree with this line here. Anyone (regardless of the kind of gov’t) wants a stable gov’t. That’s why Rome went from Republic to Empire, for example. Stability affects you in every day life: if you cannot work on your farms for food, or if you cannot rely on how much you will keep of that, then your and your families very existance is threatened.
    I think your thoughts are stopping too early here, D:S

• Okay, you may be right on this point. I too, believe that most people would favor a stable government. However, it stops at the point where people actually work to make that dream a reality.

• Without Oil, sure Saudi Arabia wouldn’t have one of the most brutal Governments in the world, but the whole region might become like East Africa.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m