• On second thought, hitting a UK airbase wouldn’t necessarily keep it out of action for the sea lion invasion, but UK would have to pay to repair it.  UK planes would lose the extra range next turn though.  Also, hitting the naval base under this scheme would limit the range of UK’s ships on their next turn so they couldn’t hit German subs in 106 with a destroyer leaving 109.  Something like that.

• 3 of my last 4 games I was Germany and I did sea lion on all three and my U.K. opponent was the same person in all 3 games and each time he prepared better (more pieces on London) and in the third game I bombed the HELL out of London. I cant remember if I sent in 2 or 3 Tact.s but the Strat. went for the factory and cost him $ to repair the facility so he could put out larger deployments he also needed to repair his Air base and Naval base. I lost one Bomber he had to pay repairs, he spent more than I lost
      If you get the same country a few times and you get bored with it or want a change or diff. look try it

• If capital ships, battleships and carriers, cost money to repair, why would anyone ever buy capital ships? If it was 1 dollar the owner of the piece had to pay that might work, but the repair would have to take place at the beggining of the turn. Otherwise Battleships that cost 20 could be replaced by a cruiser and a destroyer that even though you might take a hit and loose your destroyer, you 1. dont have to pay for the 1 dollar to repair the ship (and in commanderJens plan for ship repairs 4 for carrier and 6 for battleship that is a whole sub!) 2. you don’t have to worry about your battleship not being able to attack after being attacked/after attacking. Because if you are attacked you now cant use your battleship to attack on the subsequent turn if he retreats because being worried about taking battleship as loss. and subs costing 6 dollars you can buy 10 subs for 3 battleships, and if battelships cost money to repair why not just hit the battleships with cheap subs and retreat? battleships as is aren’t even that great. Carriers are very good but has no attack power and only defends on 2. Making them weaker isn’t a good idea either. The game designers obviously understood that having carriers and battleships being able to be repaired at the beggining of the turn was a good idea. Remember you can’t repair unless at a naval base unlike all over axis and allies boards. Subs are now 6 dollars instead of 8 like in revised. So while battleships get worse by not being able to repair unless at a naval yard and the fact that you don’t automatically repair at the end of your round. Why make capital ships worse when to begin with they aren’t that great in the first place?

• I totally agree with ROCmonster that 4 and 6 IPC’s to fix capital ships would not be a good rule.

A lot of talk here that should be in the house rule section.  House rules are cool for playing with friends or people you can regularly play with, but like them or not, I’ve found it’s better to get used to the official rules because that’s what everyone plays by default.  Also, if you get used to playing with some house rules, it can be difficult to be as effective when going back to the official rules for a different game with someone else.

This thread is about early Strat bombing on the UK, not about changing the rules of the game.

I’m not a moderator.  Jenn?  Isn’t this the kind of things moderators do - getting threads back on track?  You were helping to get it OFF track!  :lol:  I guess it’s your first year - we’ll give you a break….  plus, we need a den mother.  I think.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gamerman01:

I’m not a moderator.  Jenn?  Isn’t this the kind of things moderators do - getting threads back on track?  You were helping to get it OFF track!  :lol:  I guess it’s your first year - we’ll give you a break….  plus, we need a den mother.  I think.

yes, I suppose I was assisting in getting it off track…I just liked the idea of some sort of penalty for repairing warships a little too much…

• @Cmdr:

@Gamerman01:

I’m not a moderator.  Jenn?  Isn’t this the kind of things moderators do - getting threads back on track?  You were helping to get it OFF track!  :lol:  I guess it’s your first year - we’ll give you a break….  plus, we need a den mother.  I think.

yes, I suppose I was assisting in getting it off track…I just liked the idea of some sort of penalty for repairing warships a little too much…

Thank you for your candidness.

I think I agree, but I prefer to state it negatively.  I don’t really like the OOB rules of AA50 and 1940 that allows unlimited, free “magically repaired” capital ships.  Paying an IPC or 2 does sound rather appealing……  But I agree with the person who said they’re borderline too expensive as it is.  Maybe house-rule battleships (for instance) to cost 18 but cost 1 or 2 to repair?

To the OP - might be a good idea to set up a poll asking players about “how I should bomb UK”

This is continued off track, by this point maybe need to change the thread title….

…but instead of paying anything to repair the warships you could require them to start and end their turn at a friendly naval base.  They already have to start at a friendly naval base to auto-repair, this change would require them also to be at one at the end which, in most cases, would stop them from entering combat for that round.  It would make people think before just assigning all hits to the warships, but wouldnt really cost them anything.  They could also be given the option to pay 1 IPC to repair a carrier or 2 IPC to repair a battleship instead of needing them at a naval base.  That way, everyone has options.  It is akin to when you attack a naval base and shut it down, unless your opponent repairs it.

• @Cmdr:

This is continued off track, by this point maybe need to change the thread title….

Hehe - you’re an autocratic moderator now - you can do that without asking or warning us  :-)

…but instead of paying anything to repair the warships you could require them to start and end their turn at a friendly naval base.  They already have to start at a friendly naval base to auto-repair, this change would require them also to be at one at the end which, in most cases, would stop them from entering combat for that round.  It would make people think before just assigning all hits to the warships, but wouldnt really cost them anything.  They could also be given the option to pay 1 IPC to repair a carrier or 2 IPC to repair a battleship instead of needing them at a naval base.  That way, everyone has options.  It is akin to when you attack a naval base and shut it down, unless your opponent repairs it.

Good ideas.  Maybe you should message Larry on his site and propose them.  It could get implemented into the final product (despite what he says, who really believes Alpha 3 will not be changed officially at all?).

@Gamerman01:

@Cmdr:

Hehe - you’re an autocratic moderator now - you can do that without asking or warning us  :-)

Good ideas.  Maybe you should message Larry on his site and propose them.  It could get implemented into the final product (despite what he says, who really believes Alpha 3 will not be changed officially at all?).

I absolutely HATED it when Switch did that shit, so I refuse to do it myself.  I’ll be happy enough PMing people why their posts are deleted or edited and warning people about possibly changing thread titles or when discussions are off topic.  It’s more friendly, I think.

I shall post the option on Larry’s page.  Not sure if it is really needed, I had more thought of an unofficial/official house rule.

• OK I’m game.  I will try and take a poll about how repairs to air and naval bases should be handled.  Perhaps you and/or Manicellv can take a poll about paying IPCs for ship repairs since it was his/her idea.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m