• While playing a game of Spring 1942, I thought I’d break apart from my usual Russian first round of attacking Belorussia and Western Russia.  I decided to try the infamous Norwegian Gambit.  I sent both of my fighters, a tank from Archangel, and three infantry from Karelia against Norway which ended up successful, leaving an infantry and a tank.  I had attacked Western Russia with the three infantry from Russia, three infantry from Archangel, and an artillery from Russia.  This battle turned out fairly successful, with two infantry and an artillery remaining.  Two for two, looking good right?

Well…  Then came Ukraine.

I went into Ukraine with high hopes, as all of my fear had been in Norway being lost (remember, I am a noob to this plan :-D), and thought that this battle wouldn’t be a big problem.  I attacked using the three infantry on Caucasus, two tanks from Russia, a tank from Caucasus, and an artillery from Caucasus.  Out of all of these units, I had managed to get only a single hit, while my opponent managed to kill all of my infantry and artillery in one round.  Thank goodness for retreating, so my tanks made it back to Caucasus.

If I read in the past, the plan of attacking Ukraine is to kill the German fighter?  Am I just not using the right units?  I didn’t see a chance to win that battle and it was a bit of a hinderence, though it did help strengthen Caucasus.  My question is, is Ukraine that necessary to attack in the first round of Russia?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this is my first official topic.

• '16 '15 '10

Short answer: no.

What you did wrong was attack Norway, West Russia and Ukraine at the same time.  That’s very risky; something is likely to go wrong.

It’s more common for Russia to hit 2 territories like WR/Nor, WR/UKR, WR/Belo.

• @Zhukov44:

Short answer: no.

What you did wrong was attack Norway, West Russia and Ukraine at the same time.  That’s very risky; something is likely to go wrong.

++

• The way you did it, your odds in Ukraine are around 62%. Add the odds in Norway (which are not call a gambit for nothing !) and the higher odds to lose more units in west russia and you really took a very risky turn 1.

• @Zhukov44:

Reinforcing Zhukov’s point: if you attack the 3 territories (Nor/Ukr/WR) you have a 1/3 chance that all 3 attacks will be successful…

• I have much to learn!  Thank you all very much for your input!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m