• Sea Lion is one of Germany’s two biggest choices. When its done your split between two super powers. Russia and America. America will almost always choose the Europe side if London falls and spend all its money on Germany and Italy. Agreed?

Ok. I’ve always done Russia as my choice. Who never goes down easy.

But what if we get America instead and only send enough to Russia to keep them off of the German territories. Assuming Germany took a beating taking London and it happened G3.

Lets see. You already have the transports but you need the infantry artillery and armor which you probably won’t even be able to spare keeping Russia managable. The question becomes if you can split the resources I think. I never tried it.

• Even if London falls and America is convinced to help in Europe, it can still afford to split its attention (and it may need to) to keep Japan in check.  You’re talking about going after the USA after taking London?  Honestly, I don’t think there’s too much a chance of that being successful.  They’d see you coming, though you might be able to do a surprise landing in Canada (it being a bit closer).  But really if they know you’re coming you don’t have too much of a chance, though it could work with a Kill America First strategy and help from Japan (and probably some from Italy too).

• I recently targeted USA after a successful Sea Lion. Germany landing in Canada. On the same round, Japan landed in Alaska and Canada on the Pacific map.
    It didn’t work in the long run. Russia finally broke Germany’s Eastern wall, Japan lost China and ANZAC (because Italy wasn’t fast enough in taking India). It was obviously only a matter of time (mind you, a very long time) before the Allies won.

• Sponsor

@Ruanek:

Even if London falls and America is convinced to help in Europe, it can still afford to split its attention (and it may need to) to keep Japan in check.  You’re talking about going after the USA after taking London?  Honestly, I don’t think there’s too much a chance of that being successful.  They’d see you coming, though you might be able to do a surprise landing in Canada (it being a bit closer).  But really if they know you’re coming you don’t have too much of a chance, though it could work with a Kill America First strategy and help from Japan (and probably some from Italy too).

Agreed, its not easy or nessasary to take territories in North America. If Germany continues to put ships in the water after taking London, the US may back off and concede the Atlantic.

• '12

I personally think that Sea Lion is the ultimate counter to the KJF strategy (Kill Japan First).  If you go all in with Germany and take the UK out on G3, then it forces America’s hand in committing at least SOME forces into the Europe theater.  If Germany can ease US pressure off of Japan, it really makes it Japans game to win for the Axis.

Without a TOTAL US commitment in the Pacific, it is up to Japan to win the victory cities.  I would suggest:

1. Japan go all in on an India Crush Strategy…. If the axis pull off a successful Sea Lion and India Crush, the game is over.  All of the UK’s IPC’s become irreverent.

2. Japan should not attack Russia on a Sea Lion/ India Crush strategy… commit everything to taking the victory cities in the pacific.

3. If you can topple India, and Japan has control of the DEI, there is no longer need to spend the majority of your IPC’s on fighting off the allies in Asia.  Drop all production into your fleet and target Honolulu.

Again, I think that the best post sea lion strategy is to divert American forces away from the Pacific to win with Japan.

• I am assuming in the OP scenario that Japan is not going to war with the allies until London falls.

I would advocate an Indian crush in this scenario as well.  As for the European theater Germany needs to be thinking of keeping its fleet together.  Either it stays in the North Atlantic attacking Russia, giving you a strong threat to Novgorod.  Or it moves south and holds Gibraltar.  Moving North is good because it threatens your main opponent, Russia from another angle and could force that Mega stack near Romania back.  Moving south to Gibraltar lets Germany assist Italy in cleaning the North Atlantic coast and holding Gibraltar.  Plus the threats from Gib work both ways, Axis can hit half of Africa and Most of the Americas.

I can’t remember who, I think it was Garg who mentioned the phenomenal idea of not taking Gibraltar but instead bombing the bejeezus out of it.  Now the Allies can never use the AB/NB until they recapture London, then make money, then spend it repairing the facilities!

• @JimmyHat:

I am assuming in the OP scenario that Japan is not going to war with the allies until London falls.

I would advocate an Indian crush in this scenario as well.  As for the European theater Germany needs to be thinking of keeping its fleet together.  Either it stays in the North Atlantic attacking Russia, giving you a strong threat to Novgorod.  Or it moves south and holds Gibraltar.  Moving North is good because it threatens your main opponent, Russia from another angle and could force that Mega stack near Romania back.  Moving south to Gibraltar lets Germany assist Italy in cleaning the North Atlantic coast and holding Gibraltar.  Plus the threats from Gib work both ways, Axis can hit half of Africa and Most of the Americas.

I can’t remember who, I think it was Garg who mentioned the phenomenal idea of not taking Gibraltar but instead bombing the bejeezus out of it.  Now the Allies can never use the AB/NB until they recapture London, then make money, then spend it repairing the facilities!

and who’s going to bomb it? it would have to be germany, on the same round of taking england…

• I think Jimmy is trying to say to bomb the air and sea bases in Gibralter after England is taken so that they can’t rebuild them and most importantly America can’t use it.

• @urmomsmom7:

I think Jimmy is trying to say to bomb the air and sea bases in Gibralter after England is taken so that they can’t rebuild them and most importantly America can’t use it.

i know, but US can put a whole lot of fighters there to prevent the bombing…
    they play before italy, and they’re at war once london is taken…
    a practical problem, so it seems :P

• Not really, there should be a large German fleet hanging around, plus all the aircraft that just hit London.  Use them to smash Gibraltar if US gets foolish and tries to defend it too early.  Don’t forget to smack it first from the Med with Italy.

I can’t take credit for this play, but it has definitely entered my playbook.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

POST Sea-Lion isn’t about AMERICA, or RUSSIA.

It’s about gobbling up all of the British Territory possible, the middle east, and turning Italy into the new “Axis” Britain.  Then it’s about Russia, spanking Americans at Gibraltar, and supporting the Japs - or doing whatever is necessary to win.

• Alpha+3 is out, AA guns now take a hit in combat (and UK has 4 of them) also russia can declare war as soon as London falls.  So unless you get a stupid UK player that lets you get in a cheap G2 sealion, taking London is basicly outlawed.

• In the current Alpha +3 scenario I think the best way for the Axis to still go Sealion is if Japan hits SFE and Hawaii hard. You need to divert at least some of the American and Soviet attention towards yourself or the Euro-Axis is doomed. Now this will make things hard for Japan, intentionally putting more pressure on themselves but with UK London not producing more units it won’t be long before we see Italian units moving towards Italy to help Japan along with a Germany collecting tons from UK and an Italy gobbling up many of the UK’s African territories. In the event of Sealion as Italy I always push all the way to South Africa since it cannot be reinforced and taking while UK is still out of commission denies it to UK if/when they are liberated.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m