• @Imperious:

Sahara was a great movie. Perfect actor playing the downed Luftwaffe pilot and the lazy Italian caricature was a bit tired but entertaining. Bogart was awesome in this.

Conspiracy is my favorite non-battle scene war movie. Incredible acting and attention to details.

Which is enough to keep a film from being a ‘worst’ of any sort. Sahara is terrific.

• '10

Pearl Harbor has a big lead. That movie did have great special effects if nothing else.

• @Fishmoto37:

Pearl Harbor has a big lead. That movie did have great special effects if nothing else.

The CGI was pretty cool. The dogfights in Britain and the whole attack on Pearl Harbor sequences were pretty cool (top notch dog fighting scenes really) but the whole thing is wretched.

• Inglorious Bastards is not a W2 film, its a Tarantino wank fest, so as a WW2 movie its awful, and is the worst hands down. As a movie on its own, its quite good with man very powerful scenes and wonderful dialogue.

The Thin Red Line is as boring as a war movie can get, but it terms of accuracy, they couldnt get more spot on. Long drawn out scenes of waiting to go in to battle, or recovering from a battle, thinking about home and their loved ones with the soliders sitting around bored and BSing with eachother, all punctuated by short intense action scenes is about as acurate of a portrayal of how wars are for the average soliders as you can get. The only problem with this is thats its fairly boring and dosnt make for a good film.

U-571

• Inglorious Bastards for me. So unrealistic.

• @Clyde85:

Long drawn out scenes of waiting to go in to battle, or recovering from a battle, thinking about home and their loved ones with the soliders sitting around bored and BSing with eachother, all punctuated by short intense action scenes is about as acurate of a portrayal of how wars are for the average soliders as you can get. The only problem with this is thats its fairly boring and dosnt make for a good film.

The original WWI film “All Quiet on the Western Front” and the WWII film “Battleground” both deliver these aspects of war very well, yet are very engaging and watchable.  The point that much of war is boring can be made without making a boring film.  I’d even argue that it takes much more skill as a filmmaker to convey the boredom of war in an engaging way than to do so by boring the audience; it doesn’t take a lot of talent to make a dull film, no matter how beautifully it’s photographed.

• '10

@CWO:

@Clyde85:

Long drawn out scenes of waiting to go in to battle, or recovering from a battle, thinking about home and their loved ones with the soliders sitting around bored and BSing with eachother, all punctuated by short intense action scenes is about as acurate of a portrayal of how wars are for the average soliders as you can get. The only problem with this is thats its fairly boring and dosnt make for a good film.

The original WWI film “All Quiet on the Western Front” and the WWII film “Battleground” both deliver these aspects of war very well, yet are very engaging and watchable.  The point that much of war is boring can be made without making a boring film.  I’d even argue that it takes much more skill as a filmmaker to convey the boredom of war in an engaging way than to do so by boring the audience; it doesn’t take a lot of talent to make a dull film, no matter how beautifully it’s photographed.

Thats a big 10/4.

• @Clyde85:

Inglorious Bastards is not a W2 film, its a Tarantino wank fest, so as a WW2 movie its awful, and is the worst hands down. As a movie on its own, its quite good with man very powerful scenes and wonderful dialogue.

I don’t agree.  It’s fictional, but hell so are a lot of WW2 movies that are trying to be serious.  Also, logic dictates that if it isn’t a WW2 movie, then it can’t be the worst WW2 movie.  Besides, Pearl Harbor is established as the worst.  I think I’ve seen some others that are pretty bad, but I can’t think of them.

The Thin Red Line is as boring as a war movie can get, but it terms of accuracy, they couldnt get more spot on. Long drawn out scenes of waiting to go in to battle, or recovering from a battle, thinking about home and their loved ones with the soliders sitting around bored and BSing with eachother, all punctuated by short intense action scenes is about as acurate of a portrayal of how wars are for the average soliders as you can get. The only problem with this is thats its fairly boring and dosnt make for a good film.

Totally agree with this.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What are peoples comments on the 1995 remake of Sahara?  Any good?

And I watched Conspiracy this weekend, per IL’s comments.  AWESOME.

This one guys keeps babbling on about what he does, over and over.
    “I work for Goering’s ministry, part of the 4 year plan”

This one guy says,  “Enough of your F****** 4 year plan, I work for Martin Borman’s ministry, part of the 1000 year plan.”

I LOL’d so hard.

• I had a spell where i was hooked on that movie and watched it like twice a day for 3 weeks while i worked on games. This is the first acting appearance for many of the people who became famous latter. The acting is top notch and the attention to detail is amazing as the accuracy of settings ( it was filmed in the same exact house).

Heydrich was a total bad-ass in that movie.

• The Thin red line and Pearl harbour take your pick. I feel bad I actually spent part of my life watching these films. I can’t get those hours back. I wish I could.

• '10

While Pearl Harbor was not a great film, it was entertaining. I do not find anything good to say about thin red line.

What about when he’s mostly naked and swimming with those all naked savage children.

Over…

and over…

and over again…

Wasn’t that the best “war” movie content you ever saw!  :S

Disgusting.

• '10

@Gargantua:

What about when he’s mostly naked and swimming with those all naked savage children.

Over…

and over…

and over again…

Wasn’t that the best “war” movie content you ever saw!  :S

Disgusting.

And what about those small grassy hills where they filmed the combat scene? I thought Guadalcanal was jungle!

LOL…  It’s been a long time since I fell asleep watching it.  Forgot about that.

Woody Harilson was in it… that’s good right? lol.

• Customizer

Well, I don’t think it qualifies as the ‘worst WWII film’ ever, but I had a problem with Brest Fortress that I couldn’t get over.  The Russians were portrayed as such good fighters in it - let me explain.  When they showed the hand-to-hand combat scenes, it was always the Russian soldiers who were getting in the successful bayonet stab or rifle butt swing.  At one point when the one character and his wife were trapped in a building being attacked by Germans, the character does the classic shoot without looking through the window - and each shot hit a German soldier!  I guess this is how it held out for nine days…  :|

• @Viracocha:

At one point when the one character and his wife were trapped in a building being attacked by Germans, the character does the classic shoot without looking through the window - and each shot hit a German soldier!  I guess this is how it held out for nine days…

Sounds like this movie uses similar ammunition to what is seen in bad western films: the kind that lets a cowboy fire a single bullet at some attacking Indians and knock three of them off their horses.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m