• has anyone ever tried a strategy that I call the combined russian(cause I took it from several strats):

Turn 2

Purchase:8 inf.

combat phase:

1.finland-norway with 3 inf. 3 arm.(from russia) and one fight.
    2.one fight. to baltic SZ
    3.5 inf. and a arm. to manchuria
    4 one sub to west spain SZ

Non-Combat:
    1.one trans to north sea
    2.fight. in baltic sz to keraila ssr
    3.fight in finland-norway to caucus
    4.3 inf in russia to keraila ssr
    5.evenki national okrug inf to yakut
    6.1 inf. in russia to caucus

Place: were else but keraila

Turn 2

Purchase: 3 inf. 4 arm.

combat phase:
    none

non-combat:
    1. fight. to yakut(assuming you convince the english to fly one to keraila)
    2.if sub in west spain send to north sea
    3.fortify caucus with 3 inf.
    4. 2 tanks to russia(and eventually yakut t3)

Place same as t1

comment or sugestions PLEASE

• Usually:

1. We play Russia restricted which means that Russia may not attack first round,
    2. Russia has NO boats the second round
    3. When i have taken Manchuria before, the Japanese took it back with a vengence, bombarding it with battleships, a bomber, 5 fighters and a ton of infantry
    4. Cau or Ukr are deadzones routinely exchanged with Germany. Leaving any amount over 2 inf on Cau is not good because:
      a) Germany will just kill them all with few losses thanks to its airforce, and
      b) if the deadzone is Ukr then you are obviously wasting troops in Cau when they might be better served in Kar

I have tried a variation of this strat before, but i did not have the full co-operation of my US ally and things fell apart rather quickly.

• all the better if japan pounds your position in man. then they cannot attack china for a whole round + they leave an american fleet unupposed to 1.organize or 2. retreat and build (hmmm… I wonder what would happen as us if I built 3 subs and…) yeah I know about the deadzones but if you take finland-norway minus three inf. and a arm. + a fight. to attack or hold with and great landing point for allied inf or tanks germany still has a fleet to contend with especially when it threatens w. europe your right about caucus now that I think about it but that doesn’t mean its invincible

• yeah, if they do man+kwang, then it saves a us fighter, maybe 2 also slows japan down a lot, and it’s nice try it.

• it would take extreme allied coordination but regardless of what the axis do you can still pound 'em… what do you mean by saving 2 fighters Indxux?

• with kwang+manch, china is usually safe, and if they do all that bombard stuff, it saves fighter on carrier. It also, and more importantly, puts japan back a turn.

• '19 Moderator

While I agree it might put Japan back a turn, by distroying the Russian Army in the east you alow the Japs to recover and move against russia even quicker.

and Even if you take Manchuria I will still attack the American Fleet and China.

I think the allies in asia are beter served trying to draw Japan away from its support and then cut off his head. If you push your troops in on him he will just kill them faster.

Also I don’t like the west Russian placements. If you leave a fighter in the Cau. It is worth loosing a few Infantry to kill it.

• I agree with you about Caucus and restate my movement

ALL RUSSIAN UNITS GO TO KERAILA!!!

but will you attack Man….?

If you don’t then I retreat and have two novorbisk inf. and a fight. to join me and 1 tank( restate that one tank stays behind in norway)…

Average survival of first battle will give me 1 tank and 1 inf…

Translation: 3 inf. , 2 arm. , and a fighter…

• '19 Moderator

But that tank and Infantry sitting in Manchuria is an easy target for a couple infantry and a couple fighters. then all you have for ground forces in the east is two Infantry.

Japan will start rolling up Russia on turn two and should be peparing a run on Moscow by turn 4

• how can you attack all three?

• '19 Moderator

Let’s assume that 1 Tank and 1 Inf remained in Man as suggested above.

2Inf,Japan; 2Inf,1Ftr Philippines; > MAN 1Inf,1Arm
    96.7% success rate

1Inf,1Ftr French Indo China; 2Inf Kwangtung; 1 Bmb,1ftr Japan > China 2Inf 1Ftr
    71% success rate

1BB Japan; 1BB,1AC,1Ftr Carolines; 1sub Solomons > Hawaii SZ1Sub, 1AC, 1Ftr
    95% success rate

I should mention that the success rate is for capturing the territory so if you loose all three infantry in China and retreat your air the odds are still quite good that you got the fighter, which is the goal after all.

You will no doubt take heavy losses in Pearl and in the counter you may loose a large portion of your fleet, but the door to moscow will be wide open. and in a couple of turns you will be the economic power house of the world.

• A sovjet player who attacks in Manchuria is a Noob! The game will end in like 3-4 turns…

If you spread yourself wide open with such an attack you are too vulnerable to the japs. They can march in and take huge amounts of territory without any losses…

• so do you not worry( as jp ) about FICB via India

• and what if the english win in Kwang tung assuming they try it like Indxux mentioned earlier…

• ok I can see now what you mean…

• The allies should only attack in Kwantung and in Manchuria if the United States builds an IC on Sinkang. Otherwise the Japanese counter attack is devastating…

They can take all their territory back in T1 and after that the game is pretty much over. The supply lines of the allies are way too long to keep the Japs at bay.

• '19 Moderator

Exactly my point.

• @Bashir:

The allies should only attack in Kwantung and in Manchuria if the United States builds an IC on Sinkang. Otherwise the Japanese counter attack is devastating…

They can take all their territory back in T1 and after that the game is pretty much over. The supply lines of the allies are way too long to keep the Japs at bay.

Well said Bashir! 8)

Russia must think DEFENSIVELY=SURVIVAL…

• @cystic:

Usually:

1. We play Russia restricted which means that Russia may not attack first round,

I think people should try playing with the rule that Russia can’t attack Germany until Germany first attacks Russia! I think that would be more historically accurate. And maybe it will help balance the game so the Allies don’t have as much of an advantage. What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?

• think people should try playing with the rule that Russia can’t attack Germany until Germany first attacks Russia! I think that would be more historically accurate. And maybe it will help balance the game so the Allies don’t have as much of an advantage. What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?

Keep in mind that history wise, the game is set in Spring 1942, meaning that Germany is already deep inside inside of Russia. Plus I wouldn’t suggest it since it gives too much of an advantage to the Axis. Usually it’s the Russian Bear that takes the majority of Germany territories, so a smart German player will not attack at all and instead shift focus against the US/UK.

As for first turn (without RR), I wouldn’t suggest taking Finland Norway. The Germans there are landlocked and I much rather attack Ukraine instead instead. Norway can wait until R2 to say the least.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m