What would have happened if Spain had joined the Allies?

• I know, sounds crazy right?  Just hear me out.

Yes, Spain was heavily pro Germany, but Franco was an opprotunist.  He didn’t join the Axis powers in 40 because he wasn’t getting what he wanted.  Now flash forward to 42-44.  The Atlantic wall is impregnable!  No one can breach it… unless…

Franco had geography, by 42 and def by 43 it was plain to see who was going to win the war.  That would have been a great time to throw his hat in with the winners.  Think about it, a safe landing site to funnel troops into Europe w/o the hell of D-day.  A second front opened in 43 instead of 44?  That is huge, and I am sure the allies would have paid that thug quite well to let them do it.

I am no Franco historian, so there may be a lot of reasons he would not have done this (coming to mind is the presence of foriegn troops in his country).  But it is interesting mind candy.  I wonder if there were any offers to Franco from the allies, and if there were why were he rejected them.

• Maybe Franco think about it.
    He would have been able to take advantage of it to enlarge his territory and\or obtain compensations from the allies.
    But I believe that your question answers my assertion in the other topic. Franco had no means to oppose neither to Hitler nor to the allies and
    that’s why he waited to the end of the war to choose his camp.
    Franco was probably the least stupid of the 3 others dictators.

• Well if he did, which I think is unlikely I think if it was before Germany declared war on USSR it would of been crushed, but if it was when Germany was pushing towards Moscow, still might of fell. 1943 and onward it would of survived and I can imagine D-day being easier with troops to launch from Spain. Since the US weren’t 100% focused on Europe I don’t think UK would put troops in Spain right away, but still Spain’s army wasn’t that strong at the time.

• '10

If Spain joined the Allies, they would have their own “Italy”

:-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m