Axis and Allies Global 1940 house/custom rules

• Hello! So after playing the 1940 Global “normal” version, and trying out the ALPHA + versions, I tried making some of my own setups here, maybe people here will find them interesting, or useful. If not feel free to add suggestions on what can improve!

Modification 1: Cities.

Minor Cities: (Not capitals) Gain 10 IPCs (from bank) for every time you capture, liberate, or recapture a major city.
    ––

Modification 2: Canals and straights.

Panama Canal: When neutral, the USA charges allied and axis ships 1 IPC per vessel to pass through canal. Once at war, Axis ships are barred from the canal, and Allied ships may use it for free.

Suez Canal: The UK may charge neutral ships (Soviet, USA, or Japanese when neutral) 1 IPC per vessel to use canal. If/When USSR and USA join allies, they use the canal for free. If/When Japan is at war with UK, Japan can no longer use the canal. *Player must control Egypt and Trans-Jordan to use canal.

Gibraltar: Neutral and allied ships can use Gibraltar free of charge. However, no surface ship can pass through Gibraltar if Gibraltar is occupied by an enemy. (Submarines however can still pass.)

Danish Straights: Germany can allow neutral (Soviet and USA) ships through the straights at the price of 1 IPC per vessel. If at war with this countries, they cannot use the canal. Friendly countries may use them for free. (Japan must be at war with a common enemy in order to use the straight free of charge) *Player must control Denmark to use canal.

Bosporus/Dardanelles: This straight is used by Turkey. For any ship to use the Bosporus, it will cost that player 3 IPCs per vessel to use the canal, (The money is then put into a pool, which is then given to the first country that conquers Turkey.)
    ––

Modification 3: Diplomacy.

Diplomacy: This allows a player to sway a true neutral into becoming a friendly pro-allied or pro-axis neutral. This is done at the beginning of a powers turn if they so choose to do it. They must declare which neutral nation is of their interest, and proceed to pay the IPCs needed and roll the die to see if their diplomatic mission has succeeded in swaying that neutral.

Major Power: If you earn 25 IPCs and over.

• Diplomacy: For 10 IPCs role only one die of 3 or less to sway a true neutral into a pro-Allied or pro-Axis.

Middle Power: If you earn 15-25 IPCs

• Diplomacy: For 6 IPCs roll only one die of 2 or less to sway a true neutral into a pro-Allied or pro-Axis.

Minor Power: If you earn 15 IPCs or less

• Diplomacy: For 4 IPCs roll only one die of 1 to sway a true neutral into a pro-Allied or pro-Axis.
      ––

Modification 4: Player setup.

The Commonwealth: The Commonwealth now replaces ANZAC. The Commonwealth player not only controls ANZAC territory, but also controls South Africa (South Africa and Southwest Africa) and Canada. The economies of ANZAC, South Africa, and Canada are kept separate. (Like UK Europe and UK Asia) Units bought with those IPCs must be constructed in industrial complexes in their home territories.  (ANZAC has 10 IPCs, Canada has 7 IPCs, and South Africa gets 3 IPCs.) When territory is captured by the Commonwealth, the new IPCs may be relocated to whichever country the player chooses. (India is not commonwealth because it is essential to the UK Pacific, and it didn’t gain it independence until 1947.)

The Comintern: The Soviet Union is not an official member of the “Allies”. Its relationship with the UK, Commonwealth, France, China and the USA is similar to that of Japan and the European Axis. It is only associated with the Allies out of necessity because of the anti-Soviet agreements signed by Germany, Italy and Japan. As a result the USSR may act unilaterally and independently when declaring war Germany/Italy or Japan. In regards for neutrals, the USSR cannot take advantage of the pro-allied neutrals. They are only pro-Allied in the sense of being pro- UK, Commonwealth, France or USA. If the USSR attacks a pro-Allied neutral, that neutral will immediately become pro-Axis, and become administered by an Axis player. Nor may any Allied land unit be allowed on Soviet soil. Similarly, no Soviet land unit may be allowed on Allied soil.

Mongolia: Mongolia is the only pro-Comintern neutral.  The USSR can treat it how the Axis and Allies treat pro-Axis and Allied neutrals. (Mongolia was a pro-Soviet communist country during WWII.)
    ––

There are also some other changes I have made, that I will post later, such as a unique units/upgrade system, and some troop setup changes, (Like adding a Soviet Black Sea and Pacific fleet to make things interesting.)

• 1 and 3 seem extremely interesting. I fear 1 would make real balance issues but I am really interested in trying 3 in addition it would open up some serious strategy ideas.

• Customizer

Cool Ideas.
    I like #1.  I always thought you should get someting for capturing the Victory Cities.
    #2 looks interesting.  I’m especially liking the Dardanelles idea with Turkey.  For one thing, powers could still use that straight even when Turkey is still neutral, just pay 3 IPCs.  The conquering Turkey idea seems really cool to me.  It reminds me of Monopoly and the “Free Parking” space.
    #3 is VERY promising.  It would be really cool to be able to sway strict neutrals over to your side.  So you do this BEFORE your non-combat move and if successful, you can move into that territory on the same turn, right?  Are you allowed only one diplomatic mission per turn?
    #4 – I like the Commintern idea.  Historically, the Soviet Union was very standoffish toward the Western Allies and even during the peak of the war, there was little cooperation, which just got less and less and the war got closer to the end.  The only difference would be the Soviet Union’s relationship with China, as they did help the Chinese more than other allies, or at least the Communist Chinese.  Then again, since Chinese in our game are really represented by Nationalist Chinese forces and symbols, maybe China should be more with the Western Allies and not so much with Russia.  You could say this was more a game of Axis & Allies & Soviet Union.
    Not so crazy about the Commonwealth idea.  I understand that it was out there during WW2 and a lot of people want to have a separate Canada, but this would be taking quite a few IPCs away from UK Europe and I think they are weak enough as it is.  Using the Commonwealth rule would make it that much easier for Germany to smash London.

• '10

@Mamyot:

Modification 3: Diplomacy.

Diplomacy: This allows a player to sway a true neutral into becoming a friendly pro-allied or pro-axis neutral. This is done at the beginning of a powers turn if they so choose to do it. They must declare which neutral nation is of their interest, and proceed to pay the IPCs needed and roll the die to see if their diplomatic mission has succeeded in swaying that neutral.

Major Power: If you earn 25 IPCs and over.

• Diplomacy: For 10 IPCs role only one die of 3 or less to sway a true neutral into a pro-Allied or pro-Axis.

Middle Power: If you earn 15-25 IPCs

• Diplomacy: For 6 IPCs roll only one die of 2 or less to sway a true neutral into a pro-Allied or pro-Axis.

Minor Power: If you earn 15 IPCs or less

• Diplomacy: For 4 IPCs roll only one die of 1 to sway a true neutral into a pro-Allied or pro-Axis.
      ––make things interesting.)

This is very interesting!  I think I will give it a try.

• Customizer

I have a question regarding Modification 2 and Modification 3, if you decide to use both in the same game.  Basically, it’s Turkey.  Let’s say you are Germany.  If you use a Diplomatic Mission and sway Turkey to Pro-Axis, then move in on your NCM to occupy Turkey and gain those 8 infantry, do you also get to collect that money from the Dardanelles fees?

• What is a vessel  :? :? :?

• Customizer

@Warplayer12:

What is a vessel  :? :? :?

“vessel” is just another word for ship.  The dictionary says "A craft, especially larger than a rowboat, designed to navigate on water.

• Ok thanks

• I am new to the forums, but have seen the posts and decided to put my ideas on as well. For a year and a half, my friends and I worked on making the game as real as possible. To do this, we had to look at the game based upon how it was already built, and what it revolves around. When you really think about it, every turn rotation is roughly 6 months (turn 3 is late 1941, so it makes sense.) Since each time period is 6 months, we added new capabilities, and a whole new research system with 36 research instead of just 12! It took us forever, but we have a system that finally works. Here are some of the things we did.

Bases and Industrial Complexes

We wanted to add more brutality to the game, so we thought, “maybe some more destruction could be good.” First off, each air, naval base, minor, and major industrial complex can be destroyed. This already was a huge deal. In the base game, the naval, air bases and minor could take 3 to be inoperable, and 6 to be capped. A major, 10 to be inoperable, and 20 to cap. We changed it to, when a minor or base takes 6, it can’t be used. However, it takes 20 points of damage to destroy it entirely. For a major industrial complex, 10 to make it inoperable, but 40 to destroy it. We did this because;

1. It’s really easy to make a minor or base not work
    2. if it took 6 to destroy a base, it would be broken
    3. The fact that it can be destroyed forces people to repair them, and try to keep them, rather than trying to replace them.

Ever time we’ve done this, it’s a beautiful play of game.

I’ll post again later.

• Royal fighter1:
    “We wanted to add more brutality to the game, so we thought, “maybe some more destruction could be good.” First off, each air, naval base, minor, and major industrial complex can be destroyed. This already was a huge deal. In the base game, the naval, air bases and minor could take 3 to be inoperable, and 6 to be capped. A major, 10 to be inoperable, and 20 to cap. We changed it to, when a minor or base takes 6, it can’t be used. However, it takes 20 points of damage to destroy it entirely. For a major industrial complex, 10 to make it inoperable, but 40 to destroy it.”

Wouldn’t it be better to completely destroy a Minor or Base at say, 12, instead of 20?  This would be double the amount of damage that makes it “capped,” just like a Major is destroyed at 40, twice its “capped” damage level of 20.  If you think about the cost of buying a new Minor (12), then it’d always be cheaper to repair than to buying a new one; this fact is accentuated for Air/Naval Bases, because it costs 15 to build a new one, but less than 12 to repair an existing one/prevent it from being destroyed.

Just throwing an idea out there.

• I think that regarding, whoever gets to Turkey first has a pretty decent base in the Middle East.  Eight infantry is enough to defend Turkey long enough for a factory to be built, and that would wreak havoc on the opposing nations.  I like the concept, but IMHO, it can’t be so easy to take nations like Spain and Turkey.  Also, which nations qualify as Major, Middle, and Minor powers?

• '17

I don’t think the US could be charged for passing through the Suez, since they’d have to be at war to get there.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m