• @Mallery29:

Russia has 90% odds on Ukraine on R1, which means that Germany cannot realistically expect for Ukraine to survive. You can also attack both SZ2 and Egypt (with 2 INF, 1 ART, 1 ARM, 1 FTR) both with 90% odds.

You say 90%, but they will not be left with much if they take UKR.

Russia starts with 12 INF, 2 ART and 4 ARM that can attack German forces plus 6 INF on Kaz/Novo/Evenki that can be pulled back to Russia. They’ll should 3 INF on West Russia on average, which means that their losses will be 6 INF, 1 ART and 2/3 ARM (you can only send 2 ARM and still have 90%) and destroy 6 INF, 2 ART, 2 ARM and 1 German FTR. Russia comes out winning of both attacks and the Germans still need to spend units to retake Ukraine, so that’s a net gain for Russia.
    Plus, it still has 12 INF, 1 ART and 1 ARM + new builds (3 INF, 3 ARM come just nicely).
    And they won’t be left with much? Right…

Sorry? You’re assuming UK counterattack on Egypt? LOL. It is a standard Allied UK1 as well, even if Germany has 2-3 units there to attack with 3 INF, 1 FTR and 1 BMR and even send the cruiser for the land shot, if necessary.

where do I assume UK countering Egypt?  I never said they would. I said my 2 tanks remaining in Egypt since I lost the inf would take 4 IPCs in Africa.

Exactly - an experienced UK player will almost always attack and destroy those 2 armor. If he’s not, then find another Allied player how knows how to play.

Again assuming that the Soviets will conveniently leave their 6 INF on Buryatia to be destroyed on J2. And India should be conquered at J2-3 actually for Japan to build an IC there as quickly as possible.

Not a big fan of ICs. While I agree and understand it’s purpose, I like pulling Russian troops off the line to look East.  If UK didn’t build an IC, I agree J2 could be possible.  But I like pushing to the Russian Outer defense perimeter.

Push as much as you want. Russia can trade space for time - the Russian player is a fool if it disputes 1 IPC territories like Yakut or Buryatia, since it’s spending 3 IPCs for each infantry used and receiving 1 in return. Plus doesn’t even need to send any units east during the first rounds. It just has to let Japan advance to  Novo/Kazakh/Evenki and then smash them.

• Exactly - an experienced UK player will almost always attack and destroy those 2 armor. If he’s not, then find another Allied player how knows how to play.

Cruiser, fighter, 2inf vs. 2 tanks?  Odds are in your favor, but if Germany was to take Egypt again( not that I’m one for pulling lots of units into Africa), say, the art in Libya (moved from Algeria), and 2inf from S.Europe, the BB, 2 fighter, I understand the IPC trade….but I’m kind of curiouis what your UK1 buy would be (knowing it is to support the BB).

I’d hold my Japan lines at Yak and the western US front (sorry, can’t remember the name of China’s counterpart), and this would just expedite a collapse on Russia’s eastern front. (I’d stay out of Russia’s range by 1)  I now see why you say India fall on J2/3, but for the sake of Egypt doesn’t seem to make sense.  This strat would only make Japan even more aggressive for me.

I really need to get my own computer back…

• @Mallery29:

Exactly - an experienced UK player will almost always attack and destroy those 2 armor. If he’s not, then find another Allied player how knows how to play.

Cruiser, fighter, 2inf vs. 2 tanks?  Odds are in your favor, but if Germany was to take Egypt again( not that I’m one for pulling lots of units into Africa), say, the art in Libya (moved from Algeria), and 2inf from S.Europe, the BB, 2 fighter, I understand the IPC trade….but I’m kind of curiouis what your UK1 buy would be (knowing it is to support the BB).

UK cruiser, 3 INF, 1 FTR and 1 BMR can reach Egypt. My usual UK1 buy is 1 carrier, 2 destroyers, regardless of if the Battleship survived or not.

I’d hold my Japan lines at Yak and the western US front (sorry, can’t remember the name of China’s counterpart), and this would just expedite a collapse on Russia’s eastern front. (I’d stay out of Russia’s range by 1)  I now see why you say India fall on J2/3, but for the sake of Egypt doesn’t seem to make sense.  This strat would only make Japan even more aggressive for me.

I really need to get my own computer back….

What do you mean by collapse? With proper Allied support Russia can hold Germany and deal with Japan on Yakut/Sinkiang. The issue is, Japan has to advance through 3 separate routes on Asia and still threaten UK possessions on Africa. And the reason is simply one: $$$. The Axis need to reach 84 income as quickly as possible and for that they need all of Asia.

I’ll looking forward for your computer to be back. Have you checked meanwhile my Spring 1942 articles at the Article Submission section on the forums?

• I do the carrier/2DDs as well, trying to counter the German counterstrike possibility.  I assume you have the Bomber in Caucus after UK1?  Becuase if you came from UK itself, that would put your bomber in a bad bad position.

Well I typically will not do a three front with Japan.  That’s why I usually just stick to the US/Russian routes because I assume there will be a bit more resistance on the southern end, and that would spread forces thin (usually send inf up the middle for prevent retaliation and then my main forces sit on the nothern side.  I just think with Japan holding at 30 plus everyround now, I know now J2 options are wide wide open….

I’ll take a look at the forums over there yet…will check it out.

• Never played with the Dardanelles open before ( I know it is an option), but I always wondered how that would change things.

• It hurts a lot I think…you deplete the German Air Force, it’s 10x easier for the Allies to invade, that’s why I don’t attack the BB…some people do, I don’t…

But I agree, any loss of a Japanese capital ship or losing German Air Force is critical…that’s why I get selective…since I hit Egypt with a lot as is, if I lose it on a counter by the Brits, it will hurt, but I think the help that it gives Japan, just easily counters the lost (especiallyl next German turn I can get my fighters back to France, where they are needed most.)

Right now though, I am happy beyond belief to not only being able to learn Global, but play it as well…I just wish I would have had Margaritas afterwards!  :evil:

• @Cromwell_Dude:

@Mallery29:

I understand lots of people do the attack on the BB…I don’t…

That G1 move against the battleship is very risky. I tend to attack the UK battleship on G1. However, when you get bad rolls, Germany is out a lot of units and UK still has the battleship. I attack the UK battleship because of a cost/benefit analysis-what that battleship will do if you don’t destroy it.

I guess it begs a question. If you lose the bomber, fighter, and submarine on G1 attacking the UK battleship, how does it really hurt Germany? What do you normally do with those units in later battles? Is their loss worth the risks?

The G1 attack on SZ2 has around 90% odds (can’t remember exactly right now) for G to sink the Battleship plus transport while keep the bomber and most times the fighter (you should lose a fighter on the attacks on both SZ2 and SZ13).
    It is more rare to see the attack on SZ2 fail than the attack on SZ15 (Battleship vs Destroyer), which have the same odds. The reason is that for the attack on SZ2 to fail, the Soviet sub needs to hit on a 1, otherwise you should be OK.

• '12

I still think the game is fairly balanced.

• @Cromwell_Dude:

LOL! The Soviet sub attack is what always gets me on G1. I’ve got low luck. I’m also one of those guys that always gets the red lights. But, you’re right about the statistics. I have regretted my failure to not pursue that G1 attack most of the time. A good Allied player will not let that battleship just sit there.

I have an hierarchy for the 5 major German moves/attacks, that goes kinda like this:

1. Counter West Russia
    2. Stack Ukraine
    3. Stack Karelia
    4. Attack Egypt
    5. Attack SZ2

An average R1 will remove most of the top options for Germany but when it doesn’t I plenty of times skip attacking SZ2 and focus on other moves.

• @Hobbes:

I have an hierarchy for the 5 major German moves/attacks, that goes kinda like this:

1. Counter West Russia
    2. Stack Ukraine
    3. Stack Karelia
    4. Attack Egypt
    5. Attack SZ2

An average R1 will remove most of the top options for Germany but when it doesn’t I plenty of times skip attacking SZ2 and focus on other moves.

Even with a decent R1 west russia battle, you can pretty much stack Karelia every time, unless USSR also buys 3 arm. Do you consider 3inf 3 arm as the superior R1 buy?

• @jiman79:

Even with a decent R1 west russia battle, you can pretty much stack Karelia every time, unless USSR also buys 3 arm. Do you consider 3inf 3 arm as the superior R1 buy?

Yup. Another one I’ve seen and tried is 4 arm, 1 art. That one really makes Germany think twice about moving stacks forward (or buying planes on G1) :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m