• Sponsor

If I were to start a poll asking “what is the best WWII film ever made”, what should be some of the choices. I would consider; The thin red line, Shindlers list, Saving private Ryan, Das boot, Memphis Belle, Tora Tora Tora, Sink the Bizmark, Down fall, The battle of Britian, The longest day, and Patton.

• You forgot…… A bridge too far, Stalingrad (Vilsmaeir film), and the Eagle dare.
    Also, kelly Hereos…just a funny good movie.

• Sponsor

@crusaderiv:

You forgot…… A bridge too far, Stalingrad (Vilsmaeir film), and the Eagle dare.

Yes…… And I just remembered, Enemy at the gates.

• '10

@Young:

@crusaderiv:

And yes little hopper, you forgot “They Were Expendable” and “Midway”.

• Sponsor

@Fishmoto37:

@Young:

@crusaderiv:

Well my goal wasn’t to list every WWII movie ever made, if that were the case, I would have led with Spielberg’s 1941. I just want to know the best ones. Give me your top 5 in order with 1 being the best.

• '10

@Young:

@Fishmoto37:

@Young:

@crusaderiv:

Well my goal wasn’t to list every WWII movie ever made, if that were the case, I would have led with Spielberg’s 1941. I just want to know the best ones. Give me your top 5 in order with 1 being the best.

#1 They Were Expendable (considering when it was made and the filming technology available then) Two thru five would be, Tora,Tora,Tora, Midway, The Longest Day, and Saving Private Ryan.

• Maybe a stretch calling it a film but “Band of Brothers” would be my vote.

Otherwise, “Das Boot.”

Although “Patton” and “The Longest Day” would be my faves.

• Sponsor

For me the list would go:

1. Das boot
    2. The longest day
    3. Schindler’s list
    4. Saving private Ryan
    5. The thin red line

Honorable mention:

Enemy at the gates
    Memphis belle
    Patton

• 1. Saving Private Ryan
    2. Inglorious Basterds
    3. A Bridge Too Far
    4. Bridge On the River Kwai
    5. Can’t really condense it to 5, so here are a few more I enjoy: Schindler’s List, Grave of the Fireflies, Stalingrad, The Pianist, Black Book, Life is Beautiful, Downfall…actually you can make it Black Book.  Slightly different movie plus it has boobies.  :-D

Not necessarily in that order.

• Sponsor

Dam…… Forgot about inglorious basterds. Should make this list a top 10 project.

• @Young:

I rewatched it the other night (had seen it back when it was in the theater) and it grew on me even more.  The tension and Christopher Waltz’s acting really sold me, but then you have some humor thrown in with Brad Pitt and Hitler.  Plus we get to see what everyone wanted to happen to Hitler and not the easy way out that occurred in reality.

• OK then

1. a bridge too far
    2. stalingrad
    3. saving private ryan
    4. tora tora tora
    5. das boot
  • '10

@Young:

You can add “Letters from Iwo Jima” to my list. I forgot about that one. And you can keep forgetting that inglorious whatever! If this is a top 10 list then add “A Bridge too Far”. My requirements for best WWII film would have to include at least a little attempt at realism. “Band of Brothers” and “The Pacific” are good if you include mini series.

• My favorite is A Bridge To Far.

• Sponsor

@Jermofoot:

@Young:

I rewatched it the other night (had seen it back when it was in the theater) and it grew on me even more.  The tension and Christopher Waltz’s acting really sold me, but then you have some humor thrown in with Brad Pitt and Hitler.  Plus we get to see what everyone wanted to happen to Hitler and not the easy way out that occurred in reality.

Inglorious basterds was the only movie where I stood up and applauded at the screen when it was over. I didn’t care if everyone was staring at me.

• You know if you have to dig through someone else’s list to make sure a movie gets on your list you might consider disqualifying it as ‘best’ at the minimum. Best and faves don’t need jogged from your memory, they leap unbidden to the forefront.

If we’re going to do a A&A dot org top ten list should we set some ground rules? I’d disqualify stuff like “Inglorious Bastards” and “Kelly’s Heroes” for being utterly fictitious. But that would disqualify “Saving Private Ryan” which I don’t think should be.

Maybe get some more posts in here and then take the top 10-15 recurring titles. Then have a pick 3 poll. That should get us a fairly clear consensus on the top films among the board members.

• Easy.

1. Die Brücke
    2. Der Untergang (Downfall)
    3. Das Boot
    4. The thin red line
    5. The longest day

• Sponsor

@frimmel:

You know if you have to dig through someone else’s list to make sure a movie gets on your list you might consider disqualifying it as ‘best’ at the minimum. Best and faves don’t need jogged from your memory, they leap unbidden to the forefront.

If we’re going to do a A&A dot org top ten list should we set some ground rules? I’d disqualify stuff like “Inglorious Bastards” and “Kelly’s Heroes” for being utterly fictitious. But that would disqualify “Saving Private Ryan” which I don’t think should be.

Maybe get some more posts in here and then take the top 10-15 recurring titles. Then have a pick 3 poll. That should get us a fairly clear consensus on the top films among the board members.

For me, my favorite movies that don’t need to be jogged from memory may not be the best WWII movies ever made. I spoke to a kid last year who claimed that the best movie ever made was Terminator 2, as good as it is, its just not accurate. I wouldn’t want to insult anyones intelligence by claiming my own opinion as gold. I would be more than OK with accepting a consensus #1 movie in which I have never seen, and I do agree that there should be some “guidelines” when nominating films for this dubious list. This might include making 2 lists, movies made before 1980 and movies made after 1980. And we could even sub divide them into action movies and dramatic movies (you can decide which is which if a movie has both elements). From the movies I have viewed, my choices would go something like this:

Action before 1980: 
    1. The longest day
    2. A bridge to far
    3. Tora Tora Tora

Drama before 1980:
    1. Casablanca
    2. The great escape
    3. Stalag 17

Action after 1980:
    1. Saving private Ryan
    2. Memphis Belle
    3. Enemy at the gates

Drama after 1980:
    1. Das boot
    2. Schindler’s list
    3. The thin red line

What do you think?

• '10

@Young:

Have you seen the original?  I liked it better….

• Sponsor

@FieldMarshalGames:

@Young:

Have you seen the original?  I liked it better….

No…. I didn’t know there was one. I also didn’t know that The thin red line was a remake from the 60s.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m