• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Thin Red Line shouldn’t be on this list.  I fell asleep IN the theatre - it was SO terrible.

It should be on the “Worst movies EVER made” list instead.

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

Thin Red Line shouldn’t be on this list.  I fell asleep IN the theatre - it was SO terrible.

It should be on the “Worst movies EVER made” list instead.

It looks as though “Tora Tora Tora” is the one movie that shouldn’t be on the list. I understand what you’re saying, I thought “Magnolia” was crap and everyone loved it.

• '10

There are not enough votes to reach any conclusion. Shows a lack of interest.

• @Fishmoto37:

There are not enough votes to reach any conclusion. Shows a lack of interest.

It may also show that some of the movies which some people consider to be the best WWII film ever made aren’t even among the eight ones listed as response choices.  There are countless WWII films out there, including lots of excellent ones, so a list of just eight films is hardly a broad sample range.  Plus there’s the point I made previously that the same person could give different answers to the survey question depending on what exactly it means (best submarine movie?  best realistic portayal of war?  best [fill in the blank]?).  When taken at its widest meaning – best WWII movie of all time in all categories – the question is so broad, the range of films made is so enormous, and any possible answer would be so subjective, that I don’t think any firm conclusions could be drawn from the responses.  It’s a subject on which there will always be disagreement on the answer, in the same way that (as a historian whose name I forget once pointed out) it would be impossible to write a book called, “The Definitive History of the Second World War, officially approved by American, British, Russian, French, German, Japanese, conservative, liberal, Marxist and Jewish historians.”

• @Young:

@Zhukov44:

Nice article, lists 50 good WWII movies…food for thought.

http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8362/

The author chooses a Russian film called “Come and See” as the best WWII film.

Has any one here seen or heard of this film?

Yes, I’ve read about it and seen the trailer on Youtube before.  I think it was banned in a couple of places.  It looked good and quite a bit of effort put into the reproduction.  If I recall, the story is pretty bleak.

• Sponsor

Well, how about we just start with the best out of the films listed and we can go from there. The list isn’t here to hand out life time achievement oscars and of course it’s subjective, but surly we all have an opinion and it’s only a fun poll amongst members.

• '10

I just ordered a copy of THE THIN RED LINE which I have never seen. Hope its not a waste of money. Its supposed to be about an army platoon on Guadalcanal. I had always thought the army was brought in to relieve the Marines and conduct mopup operations.

• '10

@Fishmoto37:

I just ordered a copy of THE THIN RED LINE which I have never seen. Hope its not a waste of money. Its supposed to be about an army platoon on Guadalcanal. I had always thought the army was brought in to relieve the Marines and conduct mopup operations.

Discovered that 2850 men of the 164th Inf. regiment landed on Guadalcanal on Oct.13th 1942 when the issue was still very much in doubt. Elements of this regiment were right in line with the Marines during the last major Japanese attempt to take Henderson field. In early Dec. when the first Marine div. was evacuated there was an army div. that landed and participated in the final weeks of mopping up operations. So I will be interested in how all this is portrayed in “The Thin Red Line” when I get it.

• '16 '15 '10

@frimmel:

Well one of the things I encounter quite often is a confusion about liking a movie or enjoying a movie and the movie actually being any good. I’m not suggesting that my opinion for example carry more weight than yours or any one elses. But it seemed an interesting exercise to create a list and a list should have some finer level criteria for inclusion.

I won’t try to deny that “Inglorious Basterds” is a fine film but does it really belong on the same list as “The Longest Day” or “Das Boot” or even a far more inferior film like “Valkyrie” when we talk of Best WWII Film? Which begs the question of what would constitute Best WWII Film in the first place?

True that.  The question “what’s the best WWII film ever” means different things to different people.  It can mean

What WWII film is the most realistic portrayal?
    What WWII film is the most fun to watch?
    Which WWII film is the best artistic achievement?
    Which WWII film best honors the participants?

And so on.  People would give different answers to different questions.

But thanks for the thread I’ve rented a few of the older ones and I’ll see what I think.

Started with “Cross of Iron” last night.  Not bad, worth watching, some nice moments, but nothing too special imo.  Nice action footage with authentic equipment, shot in (then) Yugoslavia, and the protaganist is interesting.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Fishmoto,

what you ordered was CRAP.

Sorry buddy.  Get “Cross of Iron” instead.  That’s a GOOD movie.  Rare aswell, a DVD copy can cost you up to 40 or 50 $

• Sponsor

I’m going to edit the poll, what do you think should replace “Tora Tora Tora” on the list?

• '10

@Gargantua:

Fishmoto,

Sorry buddy.  Get “Cross of Iron” instead.  That’s a GOOD movie.  Rare aswell, a DVD copy can cost you up to 40 or 50 $

In that case it will find its way to ebay.

• '10

@Gargantua:

Fishmoto,

Found “Cross of Iron” on ebay from a top rated seller. $9.90 + $2.80 shipping. I have seen it before but it has been a loooong time.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Young:

I’m going to edit the poll, what do you think should replace “Tora Tora Tora” on the list?

Editing the poll at this stage, would be a bad idea. People have already determined their choice based on the options that are offered now, and they can’t change it. So suppose you now replace Tora Tora Tora with a different movie, then there’s no way of telling how many votes that movie would have gotten if it had been in the poll from the beginning.

• Sponsor

@Herr:

@Young:

Editing the poll at this stage, would be a bad idea. People have already determined their choice based on the options that are offered now, and they can’t change it. So suppose you now replace Tora Tora Tora with a different movie, then there’s no way of telling how many votes that movie would have gotten if it had been in the poll from the beginning.

I guess your right, perhaps later I should start a new poll including the top 4 from this list and 4 new choices. Kind of like a bracket system.

• Midway?

• '10

@Gargantua:

Fishmoto,

Well gar, you were right. the thin red line was worse than crap. I cannot believe that I paid good money for that. I cannot even sell it on ebay because I would not feel right charging someone money for that ugh film. I think that I will just pitch it.

• This:

The Liberation: a series of 5 movies produced and funded by Soviet Government with practically unlimited budget. Around mid 1970’s I have them all on DVD

It is in color BTW and the best one of Kursk. Everything is totally accurate to a fault, but it is the Soviet side of things…

here are a few parts of them…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWk9tECHrcI&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK2F5qtW9wo

• '10

@Imperious:

This:

The Liberation: a series of 5 movies produced and funded by Soviet Government with practically unlimited budget. Around mid 1970’s I have them all on DVD

It is in color BTW and the best one of Kursk. Everything is totally accurate to a fault, but it is the Soviet side of things…

here are a few parts of them…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWk9tECHrcI&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK2F5qtW9wo

I saw some fake 109s in that tank battle.

• Sponsor

@Fishmoto37:

@Gargantua:

Fishmoto,

Well gar, you were right. the thin red line was worse than crap. I cannot believe that I paid good money for that. I cannot even sell it on ebay because I would not feel right charging someone money for that ugh film. I think that I will just pitch it.

For me, it was better the second time around, however, it took 12 years before i decided to watch it again.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m