Free UK ICs in India and Aus.

• I will be hosting a multiplayer game soon with new players. I am considering giving the UK starting factories in India and Australia to make it more of a global experience, in the couple of 1941 games I have played mainland Asia has become a bit of a wasteland. I gather A&A Global40 has India and Aus factories (I have never played that game) and I wonder if it makes the game more involving in the Pacific.

In any case, I wonder if those two factories throw the game balance in any way. I figure they shouldn´t because it just forces the UK to commit a portion of its income to the Pacific without giving the Allies any extra units. Shouldn´t be too easy to capture those ICs by Japan either because you can build extra units on UK1.

• @Sixter:

I will be hosting a multiplayer game soon with new players. I am considering giving the UK starting factories in India and Australia to make it more of a global experience, in the couple of 1941 games I have played mainland Asia has become a bit of a wasteland. …

In any case, I wonder if those two factories throw the game balance in any way. I figure they shouldn´t because it just forces the UK to commit a portion of its income to the Pacific without giving the Allies any extra units. Shouldn´t be too easy to capture those ICs by Japan either because you can build extra units on UK1.

As an experienced AA50 player, I would think this would give the allies too great of an advantage, specifically the India complex.

I believe you underestimate how early pressure on Japan slows them, enough for the americans to build a fleet to keep constant pressure on the IJN.  Japan becomes a non-threat to Russia’s back door, and Russia can hold her own (for the most part) against the European Axis.

For beginners, this might be an interesting variation, to see how japan can be slowed/stopped.  With experienced players, this could be a game breaker, IMHO.

• Thanks for the reply Axis-roll, I appreciate it.

I figured since people bid as high as 12 (even higher sometimes) for the Allies in online games the India factory wouldn´t throw the balance off.

If you place 3 or 4 infantry in India as a bid and build an IC on UK1, isn´t the effect somewhat simular in regards to suffocating Japan?

I probably shouldn´t worry about this too much and just stick to the OOB setup. Finishing the game in a timely manner will probably be more of an issue…

• Customizer

Having just introduced the AAA50th to two new players as well, I can honestly say that OOB is the best option for the first game.  :wink:

In comparison to global, AAA50th is far more balanced, and with new players - the small imbalance isn’t enough to worry about. I’d concentrate more on them getting to know the rules…  :-)

• '16 '15 '10

@Sixter:

I will be hosting a multiplayer game soon with new players. I am considering giving the UK starting factories in India and Australia to make it more of a global experience, in the couple of 1941 games I have played mainland Asia has become a bit of a wasteland. I gather A&A Global40 has India and Aus factories (I have never played that game) and I wonder if it makes the game more involving in the Pacific.

Sounds like a fun idea.

I’m not convinced the factories would necessarily help Allies.  If Allies can’t afford to protect them, they become liabilities.  If UK is pumping ipcs into South Asia it may provide Germany/Italy opportunities in Africa and Europe.

If I was Allies in this setup I’d still want a bid, though a smaller bid then without the ICs.

It’s worth trying.  There is a TripleA set-up where UK gets to choose to place an IC anywhere it wants to pre-game–placing 2 ICs might be an even better idea!

• @Zhukov44:

I’m not convinced the factories would necessarily help Allies.  If Allies can’t afford to protect them, they become liabilities.

A huge difference in AA50 versus previous editions is how seperated/well-defined the two theatres of war are for USA.  Once in one of the theatres, it is very hard if almost impossible to move into the other theatre while still being useful.  An example of what I mean may help.  If USA can establish a presence in the south pacific, either via a navy (hard to do early) or via Australia, she can land fighters into India for support.  Put an IC in Australia to cover these fighters, providing defense on their way to India, where they would again provide defense to yet another IC, and then onto their way to even threaten the middle east with units that have began to filter in from combined UK/US Algeria landings

@Zhukov44:

If UK is pumping ipcs into South Asia it may provide Germany/Italy opportunities in Africa and Europe.

Yes, it would be somewhat of a fine Allied balance, but the US can help Africa landings easier than building a naval force strong enough the threaten the IJN.  Supporting Australia/India with fighters (see above), keeps $5 more in UK coffers (Australia/India) and the third NO out of japans hands.  That’s a $15 IPC swing that more than makes up for less pressence in Africa/Europe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m