• Sponsor

I heard that plexiglass is a lot cheaper too, I will check that out. Yes it’s solid…. actually it is much more solid than it looks because it has a bottom sheet of wood that can’t be seen (heavy for one person to take it down). Thanks for creating the link for me.

• @Young:

Thanks for creating the link for me.

My pleasure.  There have been several nice Global tables built by various board members, in some cases with whole “war rooms” to put them in.

@Young:

I heard that plexiglass is a lot cheaper too, I will check that out.

In case this information is useful when you check out the plexiglass:

The sheet of plastic that I bought is a material called non-glare Acrylite P-99, originally sized by the manufacturer at 48" x 96" x 1/16" thickness.  The local plastics company from which I bought it cut the sheet to the size I wanted, which is 36" x 96", so they just had to cut a slice from the width because the length was already correct.  (Note that this is bigger than is needed for the A&A Global 1940 map, but my wargaming table is larger than the A&A game requires).  They then shipped it to me by delivery truck, rolled up into a tube about two feet in diameter as I recall (the rolling made possible by the fact that the plastic was just 1/16" thick).  The costs (in Canadian dollars) were $60 for the plastic itself, plus $10 for the cutting, plus $30 for delivery, plus another $15 or so for sales tax.

• Sponsor

Ya …… Plexiglass is for sure the way to go, real glass is much more fragile and expensive. I would turn my basement room into a world war 2 theme room, but I’ve been thinking about renting it out when I build my settlers of catan table and war hammer table (blasphemy). While I have you here, can you tell me how you created that link from one forum to another? GO HABS GO!

• @Young:

While I have you here, can you tell me how you created that link from one forum to another? GO HABS GO!

I posted the answer in the Space Issues thread where I first saw your question.

• '10

I like it!

I noticed you have TWO AA50 boxes in the Picture!  Those are worth almost $500 now!  Keep them forever!

• Sponsor

@FieldMarshalGames:

I like it!

I noticed you have TWO AA50 boxes in the Picture!  Those are worth almost $500 now!  Keep them forever!

I will sell one of them to the highest bidder, at the 10th annual Field Marshal Wargaming convention in Oshawa Canada.

• @Young:

@FieldMarshalGames:

I like it!

I noticed you have TWO AA50 boxes in the Picture!  Those are worth almost $500 now!  Keep them forever!

I will sell one of them to the highest bidder, at the 10th annual Field Marshal Wargaming convention in Oshawa Canada.

I think you should keep it, I have one copy and I will never sell it, is way to much important lol, but if you have two…

• Customizer

Love the table… I’ll be stopping in for a game  :mrgreen: -oh, I come with my own minis and dice (and beer).

• Sponsor

@Viracocha:

Love the table… I’ll be stopping in for a game  :mrgreen: -oh, I come with my own minis and dice (and beer).

You would be more than welcome, would you be driving up from London Ontario, or Flying in from London England?

• I put my map on my pool table but that doesn’t compare to that. Wife would give me a lot of sh== if I built something like that. Shouldn’t you be doing something other than that? The kids got practice. OK you get the picture. Nice work grasshopper it is awesome.

• Sponsor

@GoSanchez6:

I put my map on my pool table but that doesn’t compare to that. Wife would give me a lot of sh== if I built something like that. Shouldn’t you be doing something other than that? The kids got practice. OK you get the picture. Nice work grasshopper it is awesome.

My wife and I have 5 pets but no kids, so the responsibilities are controllable. Also, I have the coolest wife ever, she may not play A&A with me, but she doesn’t care if I use the whole basement to play with my buddies. One of the best things about her though, (besides how beautiful she is) she loves watching Hockey with me (thats ice hockey for all the southern men and women). The only problem is, she’s a dam Leafs fan and I bleed for the Habs.

• Customizer

@Young:

@Viracocha:

You would be more than welcome, would you be driving up from London Ontario, or Flying in from London England?

Flying in - forgot about the other London cities when I updated the profile  :|  You have painted minis to go on that fine playing surface?  That’s your next step - or perhaps to wait for FMG’s fine sculpts…  When you were talking about decorating the war room - netting and some flags?  That would be awesome.  Perhaps some battle plan looking maps? Helmets?

• I’d recommend making a few war rakes – those long sticks that are used in old-style war rooms to move pieces on map tables.  They’re basically just long round wooden dowels attached at one end to a small rectangular piece of wood, so they should be easy to make.

• Sponsor

@Viracocha:

@Young:

@Viracocha:

Flying in - forgot about the other London cities when I updated the profile  :|  You have painted minis to go on that fine playing surface?  That’s your next step - or perhaps to wait for FMG’s fine sculpts…   When you were talking about decorating the war room - netting and some flags?  That would be awesome.  Perhaps some battle plan looking maps? Helmets?

Well if you make the trip to Canada, I will definitely host a game for you. The only pieces I have painted are half my plastic ICs black to represent majors, and 6 old US planes red to represent kamikaze, no plans to paint anything else. As for the room I would like get some black and white pictures off the internet, blow them up, and frame them. The theme of all of them would be the commanders of leaders, strategizing war plans over a map or table. I would have a picture like that for each power in the game.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

I’d recommend making a few war rakes – those long sticks that are used in old-style war rooms to move pieces on map tables.  They’re basically just long round wooden dowels attached at one end to a small rectangular piece of wood, so they should be easy to make.

not necessary as all the pieces on my table are reachable from all angles. However, they would make for nice decor in the room.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@Young:

@GoSanchez6:

I put my map on my pool table but that doesn’t compare to that. Wife would give me a lot of sh== if I built something like that. Shouldn’t you be doing something other than that? The kids got practice. OK you get the picture. Nice work grasshopper it is awesome.

My wife and I have 5 pets but no kids, so the responsibilities are controllable. Also, I have the coolest wife ever, she may not play A&A with me, but she doesn’t care if I use the whole basement to play with my buddies. One of the best things about her though, (besides how beautiful she is) she loves watching Hockey with me (thats ice hockey for all the southern men and women). The only problem is, she’s a dam Leafs fan and I bleed for the Habs.

Mine actually DOES play A&A with me (on occasion) and will watch Gator Football with me on TV. But since having our son, that does seem to take precedence over EVERYTHING ELSE… which I guess is understandable.

Fantastic table though! Any chance I could get a copy of the plans for it? Looks just like what I had in mind but I’m not terribly experienced with planning that kind of thing out.

• Sponsor

2 pieces of 4’X4’ ply wood sheets (3/4") / 4 pieces of 4’ 2X4s / 2 pieces of 40" 2X4s / 2 pieces of 36"X34" ply wood sheets (3/4") / 1 box of 40 1’X1’ laminate tiles (cheap with sticky back) / 1 big box of 1" wood screws.

Thats the basic design. Just send this list to home depot and assemble with a drill (use my picture of the table in 2 halves for a visual reference. You will have to get creative with the dice trays after your done the initial blueprint. good luck

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Thanks much! I may attempt this project over the summer. Hopefully I end up with a great table and 10 fingers when I"m done…  :mrgreen:

• Sponsor

@Variable:

Thanks much! I may attempt this project over the summer. Hopefully I end up with a great table and 10 fingers when I"m done…  :mrgreen:

I would make you one, but shipping and handling would cost a fortune. If you don’t have a free table to use, try double stacking milk creates and resting the pieces on them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m