• #1). Are people using the A&A Global 1940 map for A&A Europe 1940 games?

#2). What setup are folks using for A&A Europe 1940 games? Is is the OOB setup or are people using the A&A Global 1940, Alpha +2 setup?

I’ve played A&A Global 1940 & A&A Pacific 1940 many times but looking to play just A&A Europe 1940 now.

Thanks in advance!

• Customizer

My group just started a game of Europe 1940 and we are using the Alpha+2 setup and rules, including the NOs.
    WIth the NOs, the only one that’s really affected is USA.  Basically, the US starts out with minor ICs on Eastern and Central US which convert to Major ICs as soon as they are at war. 
    Also, the US gets the following national objectives.
    10 IPCs for control of Eastern and Central US while at war.
    5 IPCs for control of SE Mexico, Central America & West Indies while at war.

Also, remember that the Soviet Union, when at war, gets 2 extra infantry placed on Novosibirsk each round that they mobilize units.  These infantry are basically free infantry in addition to whatever the SU purchases.  They represent those 18 infantry placed in the far east in Global.

• Thx!

• Do those two Inf in Novobrisk come from the stack of 18 or are they in addition thereto?

• Those two that appear in Novosibirsk are only for 1940 Europe, and the 18 Inf stack is only in 1940 global.
    So they’re entirely seperate.

• @knp7765:

Also, remember that the Soviet Union, when at war, gets 2 extra infantry placed on Novosibirsk each round that they mobilize units.  These infantry are basically free infantry in addition to whatever the SU purchases.  They represent those 18 infantry placed in the far east in Global.

I never knew that! Guess i should read more.

• Customizer

@sargon:

Do those two Inf in Novobrisk come from the stack of 18 or are they in addition thereto?

I should have phrased this better. 
    In Global 1940, Russia gets 18 infantry on 3 territories in the far east (6 on Buryatia, 6 on Sakha and 6 on Amur).  Russia DOES NOT get 2 infantry each turn placed on Novosibirsk.  Basically, that is what those 18 infantry are there for.
    In Europe 1940, the map does not go clear over to the far east territories.  So, while Russia is at war, every turn in which they mobilize units they get an ADDITIONAL 2 infantry placed in Novosibirsk.  These are meant to represent the troops being mobilized from the far east to defend against Germany.  I stated that these 2 extra infantry each turn represents the 18 infantry that are in the far east territories in Global, but that is not quite correct.  If that were the case, then Russia could only get those 2 infantry for 9 turns while at war.  Theoretically, a game of Europe 1940 could last longer than 9 rounds with Russia at war and still in the game.  In that case, Russia would still be getting those 2 extra infantry each turn that they mobilized units and could end up being more than 18 infantry (10 rounds = 20 infantry, 11 rounds = 22 infantry, etc.)
    I know this is a rather lengthy explanation but I hope I cleared up any confusion.

• I personally feel Alpha2 does not mesh with Europe only.

There is an exploit if Germany prepares for Sea Lion. Alpha2 permits the US to declare war when London falls. Normally Germany wants to delay the US entering the war and thus will never declare war on them.

The exploit is this, UK can build a carrier, transport and artillery, place the carrier in sz 106 Canada, the transport in South africa with the artillery, they can move their fleet to sz 92 Gibraltar. Land 2 infantry on Algeria (with sz 109 tranny) with 3 planes, leave a DD in sz 94 to prevent naval bombardments on Algeria, and this prevents Italy from taking Algeria to permit a German air assault on the UK navy in 92.
    The rest of the UK air lands in Gibraltar and Egypt. Stack land units in Egypt. Also grab Persia with the Med transport.

Germany must choose: Take England turn 2 and permit America to enter the war on turn 2. (Since it built transports on turn 1 to exploit the UK carrier fleet that will be waiting. A large US presence will be in the Med or N. Europe on turn 3 a smaller one on turn 2. The UK fighters move to Egypt turn 2 and it never falls before Italy does.

Round 2 UK has 3 loaded transports able to reinforce Egypt with 7-8 planes…Italy is toast, Russia is fine, and the US is knocking on Germany and Italy’s door turn 2!! Insult is, you get a French fighter and at least 2 french soldiers that can board the first US transport that lands, giving France capture Italian territory options after the US clears sea zones it non combats the French land units into position this is great if you need to grab islands (or capitals  :wink: ) for allied planes after the US combat move.

In Alpha 2 the Major UK factory becomes a minor on top of that, the money German gets after building 3 infantry a turn to defend UK is a net of +4 dollars. Yes Germany has fewer losses, and you lose out on UK land units stacking in UK. But you get an Italy that never gets into Africa as turn 2, you have a couple of ships, and 5-8 planes that can sink the Italian fleet if it is anywhere besides a scramble base, and even then its a risk. Except for sz 97, the UK airforce can hit every Med. sz and land on turn 2. because of Malta, Cyprus and the carrier.

Remember to save the 2 transports that went to Persia and S.Africa and end up in sz 81 they cannot be hit by Italy on turn 2 without Anglo-Egypt which you can liberate. When the UK fleet moves into the Med later on, they give the UK 3 loaded transports that permit assaults or 6 land units and 8 planes to reinforce any US land grabs late game. Plus the French fighter and 2 French land units! lol

If Germany refuses to take UK, the US never needs to build carriers as the UK builds one a turn , plus the 2 units in Africa….game over for Italy and likely the axis.

I get good results with this in Global too, keeping Italy down is nice in global as well depending on if the allies go Europe or Pacific first. It also permits India and anzac to declare war turn 1 after Germany and Japan have gone in order to get the bonus NO money. (The Axis only see Russia’s move and thus make moves for a normal game…japan is not ready to pounce typically as they never expect a turn 1 India/Anzac DOW)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m