• @Young:

@Cmdr:

Try something like this:

Set up Kill America First as described.  It can be thwarted but that’s not the point.  Attack and take Hawaii.  From there, you can hit New Zealand and Queensland and from there, you can take New South Wales for your next NO.

After that, all you need are some destroyers to block the Americans with and the DEI.

I had an opponent move everything to the Caroline Islands. Ya I saw the whole Hawaii thing, but I moved the American fleet into a strong position, which is what they can do when not attacked J1 (in fact, I welcomed the inevitable Pacific attrition battle between our two navies). The only thing that worried me was a move on Sydney, because the Caroline islands is such a short and obvious route to a vital capital city like that. So I used my cruiser and destroyer to block both sea routes and bought 3 infantry A1. Because I built up the defense immediately, he chickened out and didn’t go for it, but I didn’t like what ANZAC was forced to buy the first 2 turns. Personally, I prefer to take all of China, push back the Russian infantry stacks away from Korea, and try to grab Calcutta before the American hammer falls. I feel that if Japan can get all of Australia, they certainly can’t hold it, and by that time, the window on Calcutta has closed.

Just food for thought, IF allies are going Japan first:

Focus land units on China, ignore Russia early on.

You don’t need the Japanese navy to take India/Australia in your above scenario. I have used this tactic before: (Stage in Carolines)
    Wait until turn 4, when Germany takes London, Move Japs to Queensland  sz 54. Drop 8 transport worth of men there.
    Send Japan sz 6 transports to Philippines, maybe a carrier from Caroline if needed for defense. Rest of air units to Caroline.

Seizing Queensland nullifies one Anzac NO. park two subs in New south wales turn 4 and they will collect 10-5=5 IPCs+their islands turn 4 and later until US clears those subs (turn 6?), then its 8 ipcs+islands as you live in Queensland. USA goes fleet mostly to harass Japan, they lack the transports to retake from stacks of units.

Turn 5, since you have the naval base at Queensland and Philippines, move both fleets to Sumartra Clear blockers and NCM if necessary, leave a few land in Queensland to take New south wales later build a minor factory there, using Caroline based air force to land and protect factory. Do not take the DEI, then USA can never have them.

Turn 6 (if UK went navy) you should be able to seize India’s waters and take the island of Ceylon in sz 39, this nullifies their NO and convoy raids UK if they get Kwantung back. You may have enough to seize India itself as they thought you were taking Australia-preferred.

When Queensland is secure fly air units to Burma,Shan state, or carriers(carrier planes to Ceylon) once air force is staged, take India-backup plan.

This permits the Japanese to continue to via for their Cities leaving the seas to the USA, India and Australia will fall over time.

This is a basic outline, there are many specifics that require adjustment. Success in China is mandatory or you will lose big.

Now the USA must help hold India and Australia and convoy Japan sz6 and get Philippines back before Japan wins by cities……lot to focus on. Japan’s income will likely be low 30’s thanks to Chinese assets and a few Anzac territories if you use your tank down there.

Any thoughts?

Edit: you are hoping they think you are going Australia first and that you can redeploy enough assets to grab India instead…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Seizing the island of New Britian takes BOTH Australian Objectives and is generally one of the hardest territories for the Allies to liberate, in my opinion.

• Sponsor

So where is the Japanese fleet more useful for all intensive purposes. Indian ocean, south Pacific ocean, or divided into 2 smaller fleets and used in both oceans? The answer should also reveal the best capital to capture first.

It depends on your German strategy!

If you are going Sea Lion, then N. Pacific (Hawaii et el)
    If you are going Barbarrossa then S. Pacific (New Guinea, et el) coupled with MI + Armor into Russia
    If you are going Africa then Indian Ocean + India

• Hey James, I really like your moves, but have you tried them on the same opponent repeatedly?  I wonder how that Factory in Queensland would do against a determined US player.  Wouldn’t they be able to free ANZAC since Japan’s fleet is over by India?

I also would council you to try a new wrinkle.  Instead of fighting China, kick their teeth in J1 and then hold/retreat from the mainland.  Send your army north through Siberia to pressure Moscow from a third direction.  Since China can’t do /anything/, why are you fighting them?  The Chinese limits make them too easy to ignore.

You may get from India to NTE in one round.

• Sponsor

@JimmyHat:

Hey James, I really like your moves, but have you tried them on the same opponent repeatedly?  I wonder how that Factory in Queensland would do against a determined US player.  Wouldn’t they be able to free ANZAC since Japan’s fleet is over by India?

I also would council you to try a new wrinkle.  Instead of fighting China, kick their teeth in J1 and then hold/retreat from the mainland.  Send your army north through Siberia to pressure Moscow from a third direction.  Since China can’t do /anything/, why are you fighting them?  The Chinese limits make them too easy to ignore.

I use to think that abandoning the coast and letting China breed was a good strategy, but latley at the end of our games, I see that Japan desperatly misses those 2 Victory cities on the mainland.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

It depends on your German strategy!

If you are going Sea Lion, then N. Pacific (Hawaii et el)
    If you are going Barbarrossa then S. Pacific (New Guinea, et el) coupled with MI + Armor into Russia
    If you are going Africa then Indian Ocean + India

Why not go for India if the Germans go for sealion?

Because Italy should be able to handle India while Germany is now weakened and needs help with Russia.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

Because Italy should be able to handle India while Germany is now weakened and needs help with Russia.

Have you ever taken Calcutta with Italy?

I took Sydney with Italy once.  Won that with 6 Victory Cities in the Pacific.

• @Cmdr:

That must have been a monstrous (or displaced) Italy.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

Does that mean you took Calcutta on your way to Sydney or if you wanted to take Calcutta with Italy, you could?. I guess my point is, I have seen Japan do really well about 5 times and each time involved sacking Calcutta. I’m just surprised that I don’t see more strategy talk about this move.

No, it was a total surprise:

Hong Kong
    Kiangsu
    Japan
    New South Wales
    Philippines
    Hawaii

• Played a game where the U.S moved fleet to Hawaii. J1 3 tt, consolidated fleet in sz6 and moved 3FT and 3TAC to Carolina. J2, built 2SBM and 3TT and moved entire fleet with 6TT loaded to Hawii water. J3. built factory, dd’s and subs DOW on U.S. hit them with 16 planes and entire fleet. Lost my subs and dd’s and one CA. U.S. fleet sunk and took Honolulu. Puts Japan in position to hammer U.S. builds in homewaters off San Fran.

Cavaet. Allows Calcutta to build up too but hope to make up for it with tanks from factory.

• @Cmdr:

No, it was a total surprise:

How the hell could Italy sneak up on ANZAC and “surprise” them……

You should be able to see loaded transports from many zones away…it’s not like you had Calcutta with Italy, you clearly had to leapfrog south Asia.  I call shenanigans.

Oh, it’s not hard.  The Japo-Italian fleet was in SZ 26 then Japan moved down and crushed the Australians.  After that, Japan strafed NSW failing to get it due to dice.  Australia put in 2 more infantry leaving 3 infantry, AA gun to defend it (it’s fighters having been stripped to defend India) and Italy attacked with 2 infantry, artillery, armor, cruiser.

• First, I buy 3 transports. Next I go for Sydney my first turn. I use the inf. in the Carolinas and the fighters on the carrier for the land fighting. I use the navy to destroy and ships in the bordering sea zone. I then load up the 2 transports near Japan and move them to the Carolinas to invade again, because ANZAC will surely take it back next turn since you only have on inf. I Shut down the Burma Road, and push in the north with 2 inf and an artillary from Manchuria 1-2 spaces behind the leader.I also shift all my AF south to help in the push on india. Of the 2 times i’ve tried it, it worked once, the second time I shifted my 2 transports towards india to try and help there, but it didn’t work. This way, you imediatly eliminate the “pest” in the pacific, and can focus on everything else. I usually go for the DEI Once I eliminate the British navy, which might not be the best idea, but with 24 or so from taking anzac twice, and eliminating the “pest” I see it worth it.

• Sponsor

@otahere34:

First, I buy 3 transports.

I have seen this a few times and I don’t understand it, I know you are going for Sydney first but if you don’t get more infantry on the mainland before your trip, it’s bye bye coastal territories and so long Shanghai and Hong Kong. If you buy 3 transports J1, that will give you 6 that need to get filled J2. Personally I would buy 2 transports and 4 infantry for a nice balance of both boat and cargo.

• @Young:

@otahere34:

First, I buy 3 transports.

I have seen this a few times and I don’t understand it, I know you are going for Sydney first but if you don’t get more infantry on the mainland before your trip, it’s bye bye coastal territories and so long Shanghai and Hong Kong. If you buy 3 transports J1, that will give you 6 that need to get filled J2. Personally I would buy 2 transports and 4 infantry for a nice balance of both boat and cargo.

I don’t play Alpha +2, I just heard of it recently, but in OOB, There are 6 inf, and an artillary and I think a tank. So I load up with 4 inf, the arty, and tank, then replace J2, along with another transport or so.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m