• I agree to be gentleman like with turn sequence order and convoy zones but a strategic mistake is a mistake they got to live with. Without them the world wouldn’t be the same place i.e. Hannibal crossing the Alps, Napoleon into Russia, Germany into USSR etc.

• Sponsor

@Hitlers:

I agree to be gentleman like with turn sequence order and convoy zones but a strategic mistake is a mistake they got to live with. Without them the world wouldn’t be the same place i.e. Hannibal crossing the Alps, Napoleon into Russia, Germany into USSR etc.

Nice to see this old thread resurrected

• When one player has a win streak going it seems that less and less minor errors are mentioned and your teammate will try to get everybody to go after ya
      Experienced players…… make em pay the price
      If you forget to move the the piece on the far side of the board during noncoms then give it to them or if you see a territ. that they forgot to add in to their income  then it depends on their skill level and how you feel
      What do they do to you when you have a forget Does everybody get one forget

• Neat thread  :-)
    Since there was only 1 other player that was on the same level as me(I miss my games with him  :cry: ), I usually spend most of my games either explaining rules, or discussing the players moves with them, firend or foe. By discussing I mean saying things like “you can move this, this and this to x territory, and you can do this, but you need to be able to land” because not everyone has a firm graspe on the rules and what not.

I believe letting them do things out of sequences if the forget, like R&D or buying units, is ok, even perferable, as we all forget sometimes and it makes things more friendly and less competitive. Im not a hyper-aggressive person in general and my playstyle reflects this. I enjoy winning, who dosnt, but winning for the sake of winning is unattractive to me. I perfer to play to the game, enjoying the flavor of the rules and the history over just winning. We never really need to point out mistakes as we spend so much time discussing a players move before they make them that there isnt much left to discuss, outside of the odd “oh you/I forgot to move this or that” non-combat move. Napoleon once said “Never interupt your enemy when he is making a mistake”, so I hesitate to really warn people, and if its not a NCM, I really feel no need to to let them do over. Maybe my gaming group is just different, but no EVER leaves their capital or critical area undefended, so mistakes that do get made arent “game winning”

• Sponsor

@Clyde85:

Neat thread  :-)
    Since there was only 1 other player that was on the same level as me(I miss my games with him  :cry: ), I usually spend most of my games either explaining rules, or discussing the players moves with them, firend or foe. By discussing I mean saying things like “you can move this, this and this to x territory, and you can do this, but you need to be able to land” because not everyone has a firm graspe on the rules and what not.

I believe letting them do things out of sequences if the forget, like R&D or buying units, is ok, even perferable, as we all forget sometimes and it makes things more friendly and less competitive. Im not a hyper-aggressive person in general and my playstyle reflects this. I enjoy winning, who dosnt, but winning for the sake of winning is unattractive to me. I perfer to play to the game, enjoying the flavor of the rules and the history over just winning. We never really need to point out mistakes as we spend so much time discussing a players move before they make them that there isnt much left to discuss, outside of the odd “oh you/I forgot to move this or that” non-combat move. Napoleon once said “Never interupt your enemy when he is making a mistake”, so I hesitate to really warn people, and if its not a NCM, I really feel no need to to let them do over. Maybe my gaming group is just different, but no EVER leaves their capital or critical area undefended, so mistakes that do get made arent “game winning”

Nice Post, everything you said makes sense. When I started this thread, I should have  mentioned that all my views (especially in post #1) were meant for games between players of equal experience.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yea, making tech rolls, especially if you use the token rule, can be forgiven.  You go to collect money and see your tech tokens and were like “dang, forgot to roll.”  In that case, I generally let people roll, they just cannot go back and redo any battles from before the roll.  I call it logistical errors, you forgot to upgrade your equipment, oh well, too late now!  But I at least let them have the roll.

• Customizer

Regarding tech rolls, the way we play, we usually will do the purchasing units before rolling for technologies.  Now, the book says tech is supposed to come before purchasing units.  However, in most cases, each player has an idea of just what units he/she needs to meet the “basic” requirements of their actions for that turn.  So, they go ahead and purchase the units they know they will need and see how much money they have left that they can spend on tech and spend accordingly.  If there is simply not enough left, then they just don’t do tech that turn.  Usually the only time one of our players will actually do tech before purchasing units is either they have tech tokens left over from previous turns or they are in a good enough shape on the board that their purchases can be flexible (like if they get “Heavy Bombers”, then they purchase some bombers where they might have purchased something else otherwise).

• Sponsor

My tech roll house roll would read, “any power with $30 or more at the beginning of their turn, will receive 1 free roll @6 to research technology, powers may not purchase more dice for research”

• Customizer

@Young:

My tech roll house roll would read, “any power with $30 or more at the beginning of their turn, will receive 1 free roll @6 to research technology, powers may not purchase more dice for research”

You know, that actually makes sense.  After all, the smaller nations with smaller incomes (ANZAC, Italy, China) wouldn’t be spending money to develop new technologies.  Only the bigger nations would really do that.  One thing though, your rule cuts out UK and Japan, at least until they conquer more territory.  I find that hard to do for UK.  Although, if they manage to keep all original territories and get that $5 NO, round 2 they will have $33 or more so I guess that counts, right?
    It would be really cool to get a free roll each turn, maybe get some techs that you wouldn’t normally see played.  Might take a while though.  Rolling only 1 die could take a long time to finally get a 6.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

@Young:

You know, that actually makes sense.  After all, the smaller nations with smaller incomes (ANZAC, Italy, China) wouldn’t be spending money to develop new technologies.  Only the bigger nations would really do that.  One thing though, your rule cuts out UK and Japan, at least until they conquer more territory.  I find that hard to do for UK.  Although, if they manage to keep all original territories and get that $5 NO, round 2 they will have $33 or more so I guess that counts, right?
    It would be really cool to get a free roll each turn, maybe get some techs that you wouldn’t normally see played.  Might take a while though.  Rolling only 1 die could take a long time to finally get a 6.

Income earned from NOs would definitely count, also, if the UK knew that they were going to receive at least $28, they could save $2 from their purchases to total $30 and get a roll their next turn. Japan would only be out for their first turn as the $10 peace bonus would be more than enough for round 2. I don’t see Italy benefiting unless the take most of africa, and I would have a problem with Russia getting a roll every round, but I guess that would put more pressure on the Axis to get them down to $29 or less. The point is, if you earn a roll great, but you still need to be lucky and roll a 6.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m