Best UK defense for Sealion 3 or 4 collaboration

• Customizer

@eudemonist:

Just out of curiousity, Jim, why head east with the Italians?  Trying to work with with just Germany?

I also like to get a head start on the Middle East.  The sooner I’m in there, the quicker I get my $ up and the sooner I get the Iraq inf as well.  I find that if I get into the east early, I usually can lock it up and then I have the $ to keep the US out of the Med for some time.

• And Jim -
    It’s definitely tough to say.
    UK can hit 111 with 5 Fig, 1 Tac.  Germany would have to put everything into that spot to protect the 3 Transports.  That’s fine, and they’re pretty guaranteed, but Germany’d probably have to put something into the protection of the new 113 Transports.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Pretty good reason for the British to keep their fleet in the Med and America to send reinforcements down.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

Pretty good reason for the British to keep their fleet in the Med and America to send reinforcements down.

Has there been a consensus strategy on this topic, because I would like to avoid reading 5 pages of opinions, but I will if I have to.

• Customizer

@Alsch91:

And Jim -
    It’s definitely tough to say.
    UK can hit 111 with 5 Fig, 1 Tac.  Germany would have to put everything into that spot to protect the 3 Transports.  That’s fine, and they’re pretty guaranteed, but Germany’d probably have to put something into the protection of the new 113 Transports.

I agree with that 100%.  That’s why I left 1 BB back with 3 scrambles to protect them.  Odds are with Germany in both sz111 and sz112.

That being said, could UK have moved or bought something to prevent a move to Scotland?

• We haven’t discussed it too terribly much, it doesn’t directly affect Sealion too much.

That fleet would consist of only 1 DD, 1 CV, and 2 CA.  Eventually Italy will just destroy it.  It’s just a matter of when they concentrate their navy.  Maybe they take Egypt I2, maybe they pull back to 97.  Tough to say.  A purchase of a couple subs along with that initial Fighter buy will all but guarantee the death of the Royal Navy’s remnants.  Sure Uk can pull out those fighters from London at the last second, but they can only do so much against a Middle-East fueled Italy.

• Wait, you leave the BB to protect the new Transports?

Leaving just 1 CV, 1 CA, 2 Fig to protect 111.
    Is the potential sacrifice of that fleet + 3 Transports worth the death of 3-4 UK Fighters?  That trade is probably in Germany’s favor, but is still a tough call.  Plus that few high-power units means dice could royally screw that fight in either direction very easily.  But this is probably ideal, seems alright to me.

And I think you’re good as far as UK blocking 111.
    If they did, the Luftwaffe would just nuke whatever lone DD/CA UK puts there.  No issue there, as far as I can tell.

• Customizer

@jim010:

I agree with that 100%.  That’s why I left 1 BB back with 3 scrambles to protect them.  Odds are with Germany in both sz111 and sz112.

That being said, could UK have moved or bought something to prevent a move to Scotland?

If Germany loses a CA in G1, then Scotland on G2 is out.

What about leaving the UK sz91 CA in sz91 to hit sz111 in conjunction with the UK planes?

• Customizer

@Alsch91:

Wait, you leave the BB to protect the new Transports?

Leaving just 1 CV, 1 CA, 2 Fig to protect 111.
    Is the potential sacrifice of that fleet + 3 Transports worth the death of 3-4 UK Fighters?  That trade is probably in Germany’s favor, but is still a tough call.  Plus that few high-power units means dice could royally screw that fight in either direction very easily.  But this is probably ideal, seems alright to me.

And I think you’re good as far as UK blocking 111.
    If they did, the Luftwaffe would just nuke whatever lone DD/CA UK puts there.  No issue there, as far as I can tell.

Odds on sz111 are bad.  I typed it in wrong before.

5 fht, 1 tac vs 1 CA, 1 CV, 2 fht = 79%

However, UK needs to bring CV up to sz110 for planes to land, potentially.

Swith the BB with the CA and the odds are more like 55%.

Scotland is bad, unless Germany buys some covering units to protect the TTs  A buy of 10 TTs looks to be out.

• .@jim010:

If Germany loses a CA in G1, then Scotland on G2 is out.

What about leaving the UK sz91 CA in sz91 to hit sz111 in conjunction with the UK planes?

I agree there.  If the dice are naughty in 112 G1, then yes, stay away from Scotland.

Good point with a 91 CA.  Hm, tough calls.

Also, I’d recommend against hitting Greece G2.
    Those Infantry are needed to block Poland/Hungary/Romania by G4 against Russia’s onslaught.  They can make it to Poland exactly by then, along with 1 extra in Yugo for the Egypt NO, and one more in Germany for defense

• We could just leave Scotland alone G2, and go with the full 10 TT.  
    That would get 26 full loads against UK on G4.  That’s pretty ideal, it seems.  And more or less unstoppable.

• Customizer

@Alsch91:

Also, I’d recommend against hitting Greece G2.
    Those Infantry are needed to block Poland/Hungary/Romania by G4 against Russia’s onslaught.  They can make it to Poland exactly by then, along with 1 extra in Yugo for the Egypt NO, and one more in Germany for defense

Depends on what is expected to survive in London.  If London is expected to be tight, or anything less than 7 units, then I agree, skip Greece.

• It’s not that everything would be destroyed in London, just that they get taken there and are out of Europe for a turn.
    It’s really going to take everything else available in Europe along with 10 units purchased G3 in West Germany.

• Customizer

@Alsch91:

We could just leave Scotland alone G2, and go with the full 10 TT.  
    That would get 26 full loads against UK on G4.  That’s pretty ideal, it seems.  And more or less unstoppable.

OK, skip Scotalnd, as it seems that it is too risky with the UK planes hanging around.

It’s not that everything would be destroyed in London, just that they get taken there and are out of Europe for a turn

They can be brought back to Poland by turn 4 Via the TTs, along with whatecer is in Wge.  I wouldn’t attack Russia until turn 5 if I did a Sealion, anyway.

• Sponsor

Is it agreed that landing in Scotland during a sealion strategy is not worth it?

• Right, but I’m more worried about a Russian cannonball sitting in East Poland.

@jim010:

They can be brought back to Poland by turn 4 Via the TTs, along with whatecer is in Wge.  I wouldn’t attack Russia until turn 5 if I did a Sealion, anyway.

They can’t get back until G5.  By then we don’t know what’s in Poland, but it sure isn’t German.

• @Young:

Is it agreed that landing in Scotland during a sealion strategy is not worth it?

It seems to be that a Scotland landing on G2 isn’t worth it, if London places its air as in this scenario.

We are hitting Scotland on G3 though.  Then we can focus our navy into a single Seazone.

• Customizer

@Alsch91:

Right, but I’m more worried about a Russian cannonball sitting in East Poland.

@jim010:

They can’t get back until G5.  By then we don’t know what’s in Poland, but it sure isn’t German.

I was refering to getting them back if I did a Sealion G3.  They make it back then, as the TTs that are in sz110 can pick up everything along the way back to sz114 and unload into Poland - before Russia attacks.

• Oh well right, right.

Germany will have plenty of units left in Europe after a G3 Sealion.

A G3 Sealion with this precise of a UK is pretty tragic for Germany, though.
    I was more referring to the apocalyptically powerful G4 Sealion.

• Customizer

OK, we’l we’ll get there.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m