Best UK defense for Sealion 3 or 4 collaboration

• Customizer

@sargon:

Has anyone considered not taking normandy on G1. I know it leaves a UK fighter, but greatly increases the odds on Paris and allows Germany to use its entire AF against the British fleet.

I used to open this way, but leaving that UK fht leaes option open to the UK player.  Taking it out also gives Germany an even $70 - 10 TTs.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@jim010:

Yes, a UK CV needs to be built.

Risky, but if Germany has Sealion in the bag otherwise, I’d take those odds as UK.

Personally, I still think England’s best bet is to make Germany commit a significant number of resources to Sea Lion while still pulling out much of it’s equipment.  If you can end up with a sizable fleet in the Med you can tear the Italians up making life much easier on America and Russia.  Even if London falls.

London falling isnt horrible either.  Keep in mind.  America can take British territories then, you can CRD a lot of the income Germany gets from it anyway, and Italy is easily CRD into the stoneage.

• Customizer

No comment on the UK1 I gave?

Then here’s how I see the Italians responding.

It1.AAM

I am not really looking, to be honest.  Since you stated that you were saying round 3 Sea Lion could be stopped and I agree with that, I’ve lost interest. lol.  Round 4 is the one you cannot stop because of the shear mass of units Germany can bring to bear. (Now, that does or does not mean that Germany can then crush the Russian giant, mind you.)

• I’m still interested, but don’t have the battlemap program, nor do I want it on my computer at this time.  This makes it hard for me to know what’s happening unless the moves are discussed in the thread.

What did UK manage to get into sz92?  Are there 3 ftrs defending from Gib?  I ask because Germany might launch a pre-emptive air strike on this fleet if they have a reasonable chance of success.  They stand to destroy 2 trn loads, 3 ftrs and a Tac from the defense of London.

What this naval move really does for UK I believe is stop the G2 attack on Scotland.  If those Germ combat ships are off Scotland they cannot defend the trns’ in sz112, forcing them to 113 and too far from UK.

• While I generally believe a round 4 Sealion is unstoppable, my question is if the Allies can set themselves up in such a way as to sink the German fleet after a G4 Sealion?  If that is possible, then maybe the thought exercise in this thread isn’t so futile.

In my limited opinion on the topic of sinking a G4 Sealion fleet, I keep coming back to the point that it is on round two that the Allies must begin purchases in order to do this.  If this is the case, and Germany sees the Allies prepare for this possibility, why would they do a G4 Sealion?  It would either be a G3 Sealion (which may not have what I consider great odds) or skip it and go Barbarossa with their large fleet.

Of course, these are just my thoughts on the topic.

Sure, I think the Allies are in more than enough position to defend against the German fleet after Sea Lion, but it requires pulling out most of your aircraft early and saving the Med fleet.  That way the Med fleet can stomp Italy and prevent some of the NOs early allowing American to send a trivial group of ships to hold the Germans at bay, eventually CRDing England to nothing but the NO. (CRD on Norway doesnt hurt either, but that’s about the limit of it.  You can hit W. France too, but with the complex it’s easily defended.)

• Customizer

While I generally believe a round 4 Sealion is unstoppable

I am looking at it.

If there are 10 TTs or less for Germany, it can be stopped G4.  Just want to look at numbers if there are more TTs and where the UK canl have other units in other spaces that can spoil Germany.

• What if Germany hits Scotland turn 2 to make up for having less than 13 transports?
    I think there’s a lot of variation to check on.

G2-
    Hit Scotland with 3 Transports

G3-
    Reinforce Scotland with 3 + G2 purchased Transports
    (so ~9-13 Transports)

G4-
    Attack London with everything available
    (~ 12-16 loads from Scotland + 9-13 loads from the Mainland)

How would that break down?

@jim010:

While I generally believe a round 4 Sealion is unstoppable

I am looking at it.

If there are 10 TTs or less for Germany, it can be stopped G4.  Just want to look at numbers if there are more TTs and where the UK canl have other units in other spaces that can spoil Germany.

Assume 13 transports

• Customizer

You stated 10 total.

I may or may not have stated that, but with 2 purchased on R1, and with hitting Normandy, I COULD have 13, so you should make decisions on worst case scenario, no?  If you were wondering how to take England, I would say assume 7 transports.

• Query: Can Russia move troops into China at any time? Are they required to wait until they are at war with Japan?

Please help.

• ??

Sargon, we’re talking about UK and Germ in this thread, not China and Russia.

Personally i think we should go with 11, 2 G1, 8 G2.  But we all do things a bit differently.  Provided the UK fleet can survive G2, I think we might have something here.

• Regarding your I1, Jim, it seems fine to me.
    Just wondering, why did you send only 1 Inf to Sfr?
    I know it doesn’t really make a difference, I was just curious.

Otherwise it seems good, plays the way a fleet-conserving (read: good) Italy would.

Other than that, I say go ahead with G2.

• Customizer

Just wanted to leave enough in Rome as to leave no doubt that it can be held in case taken by Italy.

Although it would be a moot point if London fell, as Germany would take the $ for themselves with a G3 Sealion.

Here’s where everything is at for G2.  I would say land in Scotland.

G2 start.AAM

• Customizer

I’d like to go back and forth on this one.

Whatever G2 we come up with, is there something that can be changed on UK1 to counter?

• Customizer

Proposed G2 attacks:

G2.AAM

• '10

Just out of curiousity, Jim, why head east with the Italians?  Trying to work with with just Germany?

• The Italian fleet can’t be touched by either British air or the Med fleet.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m