• It seems like EVERY game I play as the Russians, I always retreat my infantry and AA in the east several territories west, giving up easy points to Japan every time. I typically make my stand at Yenisey, b/c usually by this point the Japs have sent their aircraft south and dont really have the offensive punch to break through my lines. Of course, with 18 infantry, I do not have the offensive punch either, so we usually settle down into this position until late in the game.

The poll is related to how do you break this stalemate without taking a risk that could end in the Japs breaking through and threatening Moscow.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Stack Timguska, reinforce Kansu and hold Yenisey.  It’s not perfect, but it beats the alternatives listed, IMHO.

• Customizer

It sounds to me like you have the best plan for that.  18 infantry makes for a good defensive wall and you are right, by the time the Japs get that far, they are using most or all of their planes far away.  It sucks to give up those far eastern IPCs, but it’s a good way to keep the Japs from driving even further into Russia and actually being some help to the Germans and Italians.  Plus, with Germany punching it’s way toward Moscow with Italian help, you don’t want to be expending valuable units messing around in the east when you have your major cities to defend.
    Don’t do the same mistake that our Russian player often does.  He brings back those 18 infantry out of range of the Japanese air force and any major reinforcing from Japan.  Then a rather small Japanese force shows up, perhaps 3-5 units, usually just a few infantry and artillery.  Then he attacks that small Japanese force with his 18 infantry and no other support.  Yeah, he usually annihilates the small Japanese force, but he actually takes more losses to his own force.  After about 2 or 3 times doing this, that big 18 infantry stack is reduced to 5 or 6, sometimes even less.  Then Japan rolls up with a few tanks and BAM!  No more defense perimiter.  Now inner Russia is open for those Jap tanks to blitz all over.  Not only that, but if the Jap tank force actually reaches Moscow, they may suicide themselves just to cut down some of Moscow’s defense and make it a little easier for the big German attack.

• I had to pick other, because it is too dependant on how Germany is doing against Russia.  Let me put it this way, generally those troops are hot-stepping it back to Moscow as fast as possible to try and save the day.

• I know this is very wrong, but in every game, we agree to get rid of the Russians there, and make it so we can’t cross the Buyarita border for either nations. We cut down on some Jap infantry to make it fair. What we say is that the Japs can only cross into Russia if they get through China That way, the Japanese don’t have to make an unrealistic commitment to Russia, it’s more or less like the original Pacific rules without Russians. I know this dramatically changes the game, but it actually seems pretty fair.

• I always start moving my stack back to help against the back side of China. Yes, you lose some IPC’s but 1 IPC a turn is not that bad. I always leave 1 Inf in every territory so Japan has to fight for it and hopefully you take some casualties with you.

@Commando:

I always start moving my stack back to help against the back side of China. Yes, you lose some IPC’s but 1 IPC a turn is not that bad. I always leave 1 Inf in every territory so Japan has to fight for it and hopefully you take some casualties with you.

I find Kansu is more important than Sikang, so I think one should try and get your infantry stacks up there.

• The 2 strat’s  the Russians seem to do is
        1 slowly step back and give up the territory, don’t loose any Inf. step back another, and then again, then make a stand at Yakut.Hopefully you can get some offensive units there by Round 3
        2 Attack Japan Round 2  and send 1 Fighter and 1 Tact  and 2 Mech’s to help out on the next round of attacks.
        Once in a while Russia will spread out leaving one Inf. per territory and pull the rest toward Moscow

Moving into Kansu is an option as well.

• @Cmdr:

@Commando:

I always start moving my stack back to help against the back side of China. Yes, you lose some IPC’s but 1 IPC a turn is not that bad. I always leave 1 Inf in every territory so Japan has to fight for it and hopefully you take some casualties with you.

I find Kansu is more important than Sikang, so I think one should try and get your infantry stacks up there.

That’s what I meant is defending Tim, Novo and/or moving into Kansu.

• first you should build a minor industrial complex in SFE

Second you should place sumberines off the coast Note:Do this if you HAVE the money

Third Load on Fighters and Carriers (by now you shold be conquering Europe Otherwise ask US and UK for Help)

Fourth Split your forces for Mancuria and Japan Get some Transports Tank And Mech Infantry (Notice you need to move 2 spaces)

this is what my dad does later in the game but i think it will work early in the game

• @450thMSAF:

first you should build a minor industrial complex in SFE

You can only build minor complexes in zones worth at least 2 IPCs.  Russia needs to conquer Korea if they want to build an IC (Manchuria is Chinese Territory so Russia only liberates it).

• or you could use Phillapenes might work if us will let you

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m