Basic Movement (Blitzing & Retreating) Questions

• I know these are basic movement questions but I can’t find them on the site and just want to settle the questions in our play group.  Looking for official answers.  Thanx……

1. Can a tank, on it’s non-combat move, take its two moves to go through a territory that was just captured from the enemy during the combat move, to get to a friedly territory on the other side of the newly captured territory?

2. Just like the first question; at sea, can a ship takes its non-combat moves to go through a sea zone that was just cleared of enemy ships during the combat move, to get to an clear zone on the other side?

3. Can a tank blitz through an enemy’s neutral territory if the territory has no unts in it?

4. If ground units are attacking form severial territories, and they choose to retreat, do they all have to retreat to “one” territory from one of which they came, even if causes an advanced movement in your ground units that you used for your benifit, or do they have to each retreat to the territories that they started from?

• Yes to Questions 1, 2 & 4.

#4 - All retreating units have to retreat to one territory from which at least one attacking unit came from. This is true even for sea units. FYI, during your combat move phase, it’s good to post all the SZ’s from which your naval units came from incase this needs to come into play.

#3 - This question is a little vague. No units(tanks or tanks/mech) can blitz through a neutral territory. If the territory is neutral in your favor, you must stop in that territory(activating the minor). If the territory is neutral in favor of the enemy OR is a true neutral then combat happens and you can’t blitz anyway. Remember, AA guns, AB’s, NB’s & IC’s stop blitzing. If you enter a territory containing the aforementioned, you have to stop. Also, moving into a friendly neutral is a non-combat move. Look on page 26 under Blitz for more details.

• @GrayBlaZe:

3. Can a tank blitz through an enemy’s neutral territory if the territory has no unts in it?

hmmm, well initially I felt the answer was no, some weird rule rolling around in the back of my skull that says if you capture a neutral it ends your movement.  However since this would be done in the com phase, and this is the only time where ‘blitzing’ can occur, I can understand the confusion and hope someone can point us to the proper rule.

Another thing that might make naval movement a bit easier for you;
      There are only two types of sz’s, hostile and not.  hostile sz’s are the ones with enemy ships in them.  If you clear a sz in combat phase, then in non-com movement it is no longer a ‘hostile’ sz.

Lastly, on point 4:  Yes you must retreat to one territory, meaning it can give you advantages in movement.  Perhaps you goad Germany into moving into Bryansk so that you can counter attack/straffe from UKraine to Moscow.  Attack for 1 round and coalesce your whole army in Moscow through retreat.  Now your opponent is outnumbered in his attack on Moscow.

• @Commando:

#3 - This question is a little vague. No units(tanks or tanks/mech) can blitz through a neutral territory. If the territory is neutral in your favor, you must stop in that territory(activating the minor). If the territory is neutral in favor of the enemy OR is a true neutral then combat happens and you can’t blitz anyway. Remember, AA guns, AB’s, NB’s & IC’s stop blitzing. If you enter a territory containing the aforementioned, you have to stop. Also, moving into a friendly neutral is a non-combat move. Look on page 26 under Blitz for more details.

Actually, I believe that no units (tanks or tanks/mech) can blitz a friendly neutral, as any movement into a friendly neutral must be done as a noncombat move, as you stated.  And it stops all movement, as you stated.

But this does NOT extend to unfriendly neutrals or true neutrals which require a combat move and which could then be blitzed (as blitzing can only occur as a combat move).  If there are no units in the neutral territory, and no units will be activated, then yes, you can blitz it.  But there aren’t many neutrals that have no units and activate no units and are apt to be blitzable before they’re activated by the enemy anyway.  So that’s pretty uncommon.  But I think it’s still legal.

• I guess you’re correct. You can blitz through a true neutral or unfriendly neutral if there are no units present.

• 3. Can a tank blitz through an enemy’s neutral territory if the territory has no unts in it?

If the neutral country have been activated on a previous turn and there are no longer any enemy units present in it, you can blitz through it. At that time it functions as enemy land. The key here is activated and no enemy units remaining.

You can’t activate friendly neutrals this way, activation of them can only happen in non-combat and ends your movement.
    You can’t blitz through a non-activated enemy neutral or true-neutral territory. Entering them in the combat phase is activating the units present there and therefore stops your movement.

• I have a question, if I attack Yugoslavia G1 from Greater South Germany and 1 inf from Romania, can I, after one round, retreat everyone into Romania?

• Yes.

• Customizer

I have a good example regarding the “blitzing” of strict neutrals.  I asked this question a while back because it came up in a game and was told it was a legal move.
    In this game, things were going good for the Axis and Italian forces (including tanks) took Brazil.  They wanted to get Central America to control the Panama Canal but there were US warships blocking the path for their transports.  There is 1 territory between Brazil and Central America:  Columbia which is a strict neutral.  However, it has NO standing army units. 
    Italy takes it’s tanks on Brazil, “blitz’s” Columbia and attacks US forces in Central America.
    I asked if this was okay and was told that it was a legal move.  Hope this helps.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

You can blitz Pro Neutrals like any other territory.  They are enemy controlled, and if they have no units in them, consider them yours.

• @Gargantua:

You can blitz Pro Neutrals like any other territory.  They are enemy controlled, and if they have no units in them, consider them yours.

Only if they’ve previously have activated the standing army (and it had an army) in it. And then it is a non-combat move and you must stop when entering.

• @Xandax:

@Gargantua:

Only if they’ve previously have activated the standing army (and it had an army) in it. And then it is a non-combat move and you must stop when entering.

I actualluy new the answers to all of these I was trying to answer some questions and prove a point to my group.  I’m really suprized how many people really don’t know the blitzing rules.  You can blitz an enemy’s neutral if it has no units.  The above answer doesn’t make since.  “If it has previously have been activated…” would mean it’s not a nuetral any more.  Also confusing the issue is many answers talked about non-combat moves and friendly neutrals, when none of that was in the question.  Kieghund if you would please provide an official answer.  Thanx, and thanx to all who provided input.

• You can never go through a pro neutral except in anon-combat move, and then you have to end the move there.  (Aircraft can’t land there, though.)  You can’t blitz through an enemy neutral because as soon as you enter it you attack it (since you can’t enter it in a noncombat move) and that activates its defensive infantry. I guess theoretically if you attacked it and failed to take it but killed all the infantry you could then blitz through it on a following turn, but that’s about it.

• Official Q&A

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.  (“No units” includes having no units that will be activated by entering the territory.)

4. They must all retreat to one territory from which at least one attacking land unit entered the contested territory.

• yes to 1 2 4 and no to 3

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m