What is making Alpha 2+ unbalanced?

• Do you go for the V.C.'s for a victory, or until one side concedes
      We don’t go for the V.C.'s we battle it out, and I like to put as much pressure on Russia as early as possible with all the Axis powers
      I think it’s amazing that you have not had an Axis victory
      I meant that instead of using the ALPHA+2 Japan set up use the OOB for Japan and ALPHA+2 for all the remaining countries. I think that it would give them the kick to eliminate one or two of their five enemies early in the game

• Maddog,

If the US reinforces Hawaii every turn, it’s pretty much impossible for Japan to take it, unless they put a lot of effort into, which means they are lacking in other areas. This is even if the US goes for a KGF strategy, which I agree is the best option for the Allies.

• @Commando:

Maddog,

If the US reinforces Hawaii every turn, it’s pretty much impossible for Japan to take it, unless they put a lot of effort into, which means they are lacking in other areas. This is even if the US goes for a KGF strategy, which I agree is the best option for the Allies.

I totally agree.  I have found it a far more effective Allied Strategy than going after Japan first and i have tried both/fought against both a couple of times now.  So I do think the 100% Pacific first crowd is right about the game being broken.  That said I do believe they are only looking at part of the picture and not the whole.

If Japan could take Hawaii and pressures the USA that would be a pretty decent counter for the Axis.  Yet as you said the only way to do that is to sacrifice in other areas which imho ends up defeating the point.

• I agree! Great minds think alike!  :-D

• @suprise:

Do you go for the V.C.'s for a victory, or until one side concedes
       We don’t go for the V.C.'s we battle it out, and I like to put as much pressure on Russia as early as possible with all the Axis powers
       I think it’s amazing that you have not had an Axis victory
       I meant that instead of using the ALPHA+2 Japan set up use the OOB for Japan and ALPHA+2 for all the remaining countries. I think that it would give them the kick to eliminate one or two of their five enemies early in the game

We just play unit the Axis capitulate or they capture the requisite VPs.  This usually takes around 15 rounds, and thats usually about 15 hours…at that point its time to call it.

• Glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks it’s fairly balanced.
    Anyone who played less than 10 games with different people should keep playing before any statements, IMO.

• Customizer

Interesting results.  I am certainly in the minority on my thoughts on Russia, but it the majority feel that the game is unbalanced with 19% believing that it is fine.

Not that 60 is a decent sample size.

• @jim010:

Interesting results.  I am certainly in the minority on my thoughts on Russia, but it the majority feel that the game is unbalanced with 19% believing that it is fine.

Not that 60 is a decent sample size.

It’s 19/60… which make just about 1/3 (31.7%) saying it’s fine.

• Customizer

I meant to say 19 out of 60.

2/3 still say it is broken for one reason or other.

• If it’s broke it is not by much. I think a couple of extra NO’s can help the Axis tremendously.
    Italy and Germany get 5 if London is taken.
    Japan gets 5 for Manchuria and Kwangtung.
    I personally believe your problem is solved right there. Take the 5 off for Mexico. Give 2 Ipcs for every originally axis controlled territory in Europe and I mean Europe only. Try that one on.

• Customizer

I suppose it depends on how you think the game is broken, and there is no consensus on that.

Italy and Germany get 5 if London is taken.

We have this one already in Alpha 2+

• @jim010:

The more I get on these threads the more it seems that 2/3’s of the threads that exist are dedicated to voices stating Alpha 2 is broken.

Everyone seems to have a different idea as to why the game is broken.  That being said the direction the wind seems to be blowing on Harris Game Forums would indicate not very many changes will be made to Alpha 3 unless LH has a change of mind.

I would suggest that those who believe the game is broken try to find time to make their case to LH on his forum before Alpha 3 is released.  He is responding to most posts submitted and taking what people say into account.

• Customizer

I would suggest that those who believe the game is broken try to find time to make their case to LH on his forum before Alpha 3 is released.  He is responding to most posts submitted and taking what people say into account.

I tried that.  First with the India Crush, and then Sealion.  I find that while he has a clear idea of how he wants his game to play out, he doesn’t have a grasp of how to actually play them.

• @jim010:

I would suggest that those who believe the game is broken try to find time to make their case to LH on his forum before Alpha 3 is released.  He is responding to most posts submitted and taking what people say into account.

I tried that.  First with the India Crush, and then Sealion.  I find that while he has a clear idea of how he wants his game to play out, he doesn’t have a grasp of how to actually play them.

I agree with you. That said I was hoping if enough people communicate to him that the game is not balanced he might do more than what I think he is going to do which is not much.

• @jim010:

Saying is not proving…

• Customizer

Saying is not proving…

Bring it.

When a clear majority say the game is broken, you think there is nothing to that?

• Jim I didn’t think Italy got 5 as well unless I have a misprint on mine for taking London. I thought if Germany took it only germany got the bonus. Correct me if I am wrong.

• It is only Germany that gets 5.

• @jim010:

Saying is not proving…

Bring it.

When a clear majority say the game is broken, you think there is nothing to that?

Nope, not a proof. So far I played as many games as Allies then Axies and I won them all. So I have don’t have a clear sequence proving the game is broken. I say OOB rules is clearly broken because I played 7-8 games as Allies AND 7-8 games as Axis and in ALL games Allies won. Also all those games were double matches, I mean I switch side with the same opponent… and still Allies won all the way, actually Axis never came close to victory. That is a clear sequence showing the game is broken.

That being said, who here has a clear sequence to prove Alpha 2 is broken?
    Without the kind of sequence I speak about, well it’s just a vox pop…

• Customizer

Let me finish a game and we can have a go.

:wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m