American Pac-Strat: Why Alpha +2 is not a balanced game!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Transport numbers, for me, reflect what strategy I am going with.

Am I going after America hot and heavy?
    Am I going “explosion” or “dandelion of death” hitting multiple locations all on one round?
    Am I going turtle?
    Am I going after Russia hot and heavy?

In the former, I only need 4 transports.
    In the next, I need 7-9 transports
    In the next, I need 3 transports (luckily, I start with 3)
    In the last, I need 3 transports (luckily, I start iwth 3)

Really depends.

• HELP  I’ve downloaded the A battlemap 3.1 and the Holkens 8.0 and when I go to the maps I cant find the ALPHA+2 global.
        Can any one help
                                Frustrated!!!

@Commando:

In almost every game I’ve played, the good Axis players put a AB in Kwa at the very least. Putting NB’s in key area’s prevent you from having to build as many transports. The more transports you build, the more you have to split up your navy to defend them.

Airbase in Sumatra/Java is better (take Ceylon before that.  This lets you hit most of hte South Pacific.)

Naval Base in Hainan is better than the mainland, much harder to take.

Naval Base in Midway is just over-powered, seriously!

Airbase in Germany is kinda nice.  If you are stuck in SZ 113
    Airbases in W. France/Holland is over-powered!
    Airbase in Korea if you are stuck in SZ 6

As I said, situational.  What is the situation of that game?  Does it make more sense to do that?  Maybe it makes more sense to have 42 Japanese Transports?  (ridiculous number chosen on purpose so I dont get someone crying about how they need that many transports to win, or attempting to declare themselves the strategical superior person because they don’t need that many transports, or whatever.  It’s just a ridiculous number chosen to demonstrate a point, that the bases and transports and facilities are all situational.)

Surprise, there is a whole thread on downloading it, a whole thread on using it and a whole thread on trouble shooting it.  (The latter has posts from me on how to fix things like the toolbars, etc.)

Get the T40 module (for now) and when Alpha 3 comes out, get the new one of that too.

• Hey Jennifer I tought something.

In the process of reinforcing the Japanese fleet against the american one during the first 5-6 turns, can’t you buy only aicraft carriers with Japan and take advantage of all the aircraft you already own in order to keep a stronger fleet than the american one?

What I mean, each 16 points you spend, you in reality gain “36” ipc of naval units (cause you bring there also fighters and/or tacts)

Have you tried this?

I have, on occasion, purchased an extra 3 carriers.  The issue comes in that you only have a finite number of aircraft and if they are all on your carriers, what do you have to fight with in China, India and Russia?

• @Cmdr:

I have, on occasion, purchased an extra 3 carriers.  The issue comes in that you only have a finite number of aircraft and if they are all on your carriers, what do you have to fight with in China, India and Russia?

Plus then you’ll have a harder time replace the losses than the enemy because you can’t take as much land and hold it.

It usually takes the Americans at least 6 rounds to push into Japan and by Japan 6 you should have 48 IPC or more, so it’s an opportune time to drop more carriers in the water.

• I also got a few carriers my last Japanese game.  I still got tossed out of the pacific and had to flee to the Med.  However when Japan showed up with 2 bb 2 CA and 4 carriers plus 8 aircraft, 3 bmbs and assorted trns they were able to bolster the Axis fleets to the point that they were now larger than the US East coast fleet.  My opponent moved his East Coast fleet south to Africa so that it was supported by his uber fleet that had chased me out of the Indian Ocean and that’s when I 1-2-3 attacked Panama.

This threw him because he thought I’d run back to England and defend there.  Once I took Hawaii and started making NO money for Japan again he saw that I planned on resuscitating Japan and he would have to start all over again.

After conversing on the game, he feels his major mistake was moving half his fleet into the Med to kick out the Italians and take their income away.  This he did great but he was never able to clear England.  We had a few back and forths, one attack he could have cleared it for the ANZAC to capture, but it would have been with 2 units and I could recapture.

Carriers are good for Japan to buy perhaps an extra round in sz6, but eventually you will still get out classed by the US.  If I was going to fight and die in sz6, I would spend 15 instead of 16 for an airbase in Korea.  This brings in 3 more ftrs.

It is always a good idea if you can get America to waste time chasing your fleet around as it gives you time to get your VCs.  This is why I have been advocating to just keep them out and leave enough submarines to take all you can and sink whatever he builds, moving whatever you have eastward to deal with Europe as soon as you can.

• I dont know if this is off on another subject but I wanted to post the results from this weekend……    the Axis have another victory!  Barbarossa on G3. They had better rolls at most of the key battles  A couple of different rolls at a few of the key battles and It would have been diff.    Especially in sea zone 6 for me, Oh well what can ya do. Next time It will be different

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m