• this is, i think a pretty good strat for uk. ik im prob gonna get castrated via all you trolling people out there on the world wide web on different ways this is a bad strat, but yeah.

so this involves uk going pretty all italy, i guess you could call it italy first. the first thing you do is to build minor ic and airbase at egypt, alot of people dont like this because it pretty much takes all your money up, but germany usually cant afford to make a sealion until round 3 anyway(otherwise it would bring in US)

then with egypt you have to move the two fighters from gibraltar and malta to egypt so they can scramble with your new airbase, and move all the units from alexandria into egypt.

now, with all of their fleet and planes, italy shouldn’t be strong enough to clear the sz right next to egypt, and you can hold that VC for pretty much the whole game.

but now your probly saying “what about attacking?”
    well, uk can usually attack rome one turn 3-4 if italy doesnt start turtling right away, they’ll probly build fleet round 1&maybe2, but you can use your ic in egypt to keep producing fleet and infantry, while sending units from calc. on transports that you could buy. italy is pretty much now able to be crushed, but be patient, and make SURE that you build infantry on your home island, to stop a sealion.

comment with problems you see, and/or suggestions to make this strat better

• I’ve done something similar to this though I didn’t build the airbase. Frankly I’d rather just wait a turn and build an aircraft carrier; having 4 hits and 10 pips actually sounds like a better deal to me than 3 hits and 12 pips, and when it comes to raiding Italy the CV will be of much greater use. The biggest flawed assumption you’re making here is that you can do this and also stop a Sealion. If Germany goes for Sealion and UK doesn’t do everything in its power to stop it (meaning a 9 inf first turn build), my understanding is that Germany can pull it off pretty easily. So if you execute this strategy then you’re pretty much writing off the home island for a few turns and committing America to the Atlantic if Germany goes for it. Meanwhile, I agree that Italy is pretty well bottled up. With the Allies working together in this way, the game will most likely be decided in the Pacific.

• I would have to agree that this is a bad mission for the European Brits.  By spending all your first turn income in Africa, you are begging the German player to take your capital G3 because he can build 10 trns G2.  Sadly this means you will only get 1 round of production out of Egypt, and Italy will eventually crowbar you out of Egypt because you have no reinforcements.  As Germany, if a factory goes down in Egypt UK1 you would want to capture London fast to help your ally in Africa.

• @JimmyHat:

I would have to agree that this is a bad mission for the European Brits.  By spending all your first turn income in Africa, you are begging the German player to take your capital G3 because he can build 10 trns G2.  Sadly this means you will only get 1 round of production out of Egypt, and Italy will eventually crowbar you out of Egypt because you have no reinforcements.  As Germany, if a factory goes down in Egypt UK1 you would want to capture London fast to help your ally in Africa.

Exactly.

Germany might even chose a G2 Sea-Lion after seeing an IC in Egypt (and if the odds are good enough, of course). It also would allow Japan to start faster and do more damage, and threaten Calcutta more).
    Then again, if UK builds an IC, they’ll most probably build 3 units there (if not it was a waste of money as well) so maybe a G3 would be favorable that way…

• This is a bad strategy. You should make every attempt to prevent Sea Lion from happening. If Sea Lion does happen and you lose, it should only be by a small amount if you’ve put every attempt into stopping Sea Lion. Then, you can have the US take the UK back. The UK on Turn 1 can build 4 Inf, 4 Art(28 IPC’s). That gives you the capability to kill anything Germany puts into Scotland Turn 2, if you need to. And, you can also use those troops later in the game to invade Europe. Most Germany players will build 1 DD, 1 Sub, 1 AC on Turn 1. Or, 1 AC, 2 Transports. I believe unless you have at least a 70% chance of succcessfully taking the UK as Germany, you shouldn’t do Sea Lion. If Germany loses Sea Lion it’s pretty much game over. If the UK does the builds above Turn 1, then uses an odds calculator to figure out how many troops he or she needs to stop Sea Lion or at least make it as difficult as possible. Then most good Axis players won’t invade and instead go for Russia. This will allow the UK to put max pressure on Italy until the US comes into the war.

• Any troops you don’t need for the defense of the UK on Turn 2, you can put down in Saf.

• its good if you know for a fact that Germany is not planning an invasion of England

• @JimmyHat:

I would have to agree that this is a bad mission for the European Brits.  By spending all your first turn income in Africa, you are begging the German player to take your capital G3 because he can build 10 trns G2.  Sadly this means you will only get 1 round of production out of Egypt, and Italy will eventually crowbar you out of Egypt because you have no reinforcements.  As Germany, if a factory goes down in Egypt UK1 you would want to capture London fast to help your ally in Africa.

if egypt ever falls in this game, (churchill quote) “there’ll be shooting of generals”
    the italians can never take egypt without severe allied fault

• The best first round purchases for Germany always seem to involve a carrier. If Germany builds a carrier and say 4 infantry, indicating he is definately going barbarosa, and Germany sees you build this, he should imediately start calculating how many transports to build (my guess is as few as 7 more to give you 8 total could do the job) and planning to hit London on G3, with nothing going into London on B1 Germany should be able to tear up London on G3 without much problem.

As Britain the first thing I would do is make sure London isnt going to fall, then after G2 and no transport builds by Germany I’ll start worrying about the Med and Italy.

Britain is going to have 3 inf and 3 ftr + 1 fr inf 1 fr fit, + maybe a fighter from Normandy add in 10 infantry built on turn 2 and your talking about 14 infantry and 5 fighters at best defending.  If germany hits with 8 tanks 8 infantry and 7 aircraft (I’m assuming some losses to the British fleet and AA), Britain is going to fall.

I think Britain needs 9 infantry and the fighters from malta and gibralter to be safe. Protect London first then go after the Med.

• but, like i said before, would germany really try a sealion and bring america into the game 1-2 rounds early??? and also, if UK has good luck round 1, it could send fleet into the north sea in rounds 2 and 3, maybe 1 or 2 ships per turn.

• Well what would you do as Germany?  IF you see a UK IC go down UK1, would you switch to an invasion of UK or continue to produce for a war against Russia?  The only time I could see UK building that IC in Egypt is if Germany didn’t build any trns G1 or you could take London on G2, but you do have 70ipcs to spend.  Would you purchase the 10 trns to go with the troops you already have and take and hold London on G3?  England cannot stop the invasion because they missed a round of production.  This is a no-brainer and I think the allies are handing the game to the Axis in this scenario.  Even if Italy got its nose bloodied in Africa that means England will have even less aircraft defending them.  Italy in this case should rebuild the fleet and prepare to dominate Egypt in a few rounds.

• ok so pretty much the consensus is to wait a round or two before doing this???

• Never let Germany sealion on the cheap G2 . If they build 2TT and a carrier G1 protect London.  If they don’t I always build an IC in egypt UK1 .  I have never seen Germany win in global not attackig Russia G3 .

• ok, so based on germany’s first buy, i should wait on this strategy, or do part of it right away.

• @Jay:

Never let Germany sealion on the cheap G2 . If they build 2TT and a carrier G1 protect London.  If they don’t I always build an IC in egypt UK1 .  I have never seen Germany win in global not attackig Russia G3 .

I have never seen Germany waiting til after turn 3.

• My question follows:
    In Alpha +2, if Germany play “as expected”, meaning that they threaten the sea lion (by having a few barges, ect…) but are actually going more towards invading Russia.  How do you manage to keep the Italians off Egypt?

I know that might sound strange, but in all my games, the damn pizza-eating bastards take it…

• I’ve won before without a declaration of war against Russia in G3.  Then G4 you declare just to kill Russian shipping and take their NO away while your army redeploys from London to Germany.

• @captainhook:

My question follows:
    In Alpha +2, if Germany play “as expected”, meaning that they threaten the sea lion (by having a few barges, ect…) but are actually going more towards invading Russia.  How do you manage to keep the Italians off Egypt?

I know that might sound strange, but in all my games, the damn pizza-eating bastards take it…

leftovers from taranto and indian fighters should be enough.

• @Frontovik:

@captainhook:

My question follows:

leftovers from taranto and indian fighters should be enough.

The fighters you need to keep off Japan?

• Building an IC in Egypt is a bad idea.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m