• Hey everyone,

First post. I’ve lurked the forum a bit over the years, having played maybe 6 or so games a year with a few friends. This may be a basic rule, but I don’t have the rule book and last time I played this came up repeatedly.  So here goes:

When you are defending a naval battle and have a carrier and some planes that would otherwise crash if the carrier is destroyed as there is no friendly land within 1 space, can you choose to lose the carrier before you lose the plane(s)?

I seem to recall playing that way for years - believing that since you were on defense and not offense, it wasn’t a “suicide” move to lose the carrier first knowing the planes would crash no matter what if they survived the battle. I just saw it as the defender’s perogative and a way to make sure the attacker paid the largest price possible.

But my friends argued me down and we tend to play a few house rules anyway, so majority vote wins during disagreements.  I believe they have changed the rule and are wrong - but none of us seem to know where the hell the rule book got off to!

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

• You are right, you can choose the carrier before the planes.  Of course, then the attacker can choose to withdraw, and you lose the planes anyways, which is kind of a dirty trick…… :evil:

• Especially if there are transports involved you may want to protect them at all costs.
    Then it makes good sense sometimes to take the carrier first.

I have a follow up question in the same category.
    What if there is a place to land the figs, but this territory is also to be attacked in the same round.
    Will the figs then be able to land there and take part of the defense - or will they be lost (with only taking place in the naval battle) if the territory is lost?

• @jiman79:

I have a follow up question in the same category.
    What if there is a place to land the figs, but this territory is also to be attacked in the same round.
    Will the figs then be able to land there and take part of the defense - or will they be lost (with only taking place in the naval battle) if the territory is lost?

The fighters only land after all combats are resolved, meaning that if the territory has been taken it is not longer a valid landing spot

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m