• I have a question about the order of combat. Let’s say I am attacking sz 110 off England, and I am Germany. If i perform a strategic bombing raid on the airbase in England, do I do that before the naval combat, thereby preventing the fighters from scrambling into sz 110, or do it after? And when does the allied player announce whether or not he is scrambling or defending against a strategic bombing raid.

• Customizer

SBRs happen before regular combat takes place.  The defender has to make his/her decision whether to defend the facility or scramble to the sea zone after your combat move but before combat. 
    Therefore, if he/she decides to defend the facility, then they can NOT scramble to the sea zone, or visa-versa.

• Thanks for clarifying, I figure this will be a pretty clever strategy for a possible sea-lion.

• Customizer

Yeah, that is a very good idea.  It could also be good for G1 when you are sending the Luftwaffe and U-Boats to try and destroy the Royal Navy.  I always have a problem getting at the BB and CA in SZ 110 because the Brits can scramble 3 fighters there (2 Brit + 1 French).  Therefore I have to commit a huge amount of planes, usually 6, just to get those ships and I end up taking heavy losses too.  Only plus is I also kill the 3 fighters too.
    However, with your plan, Britain would have to choose.  Either they protect the English Channel fleet and take a pounding on their base, or protect the base and lose some valuable ships.  I’m going to have to remember this.

• @knp7765:

Yeah, that is a very good idea.  It could also be good for G1 when you are sending the Luftwaffe and U-Boats to try and destroy the Royal Navy.  I always have a problem getting at the BB and CA in SZ 110 because the Brits can scramble 3 fighters there (2 Brit + 1 French).  Therefore I have to commit a huge amount of planes, usually 6, just to get those ships and I end up taking heavy losses too.  Only plus is I also kill the 3 fighters too.
    However, with your plan, Britain would have to choose.  Either they protect the English Channel fleet and take a pounding on their base, or protect the base and lose some valuable ships.  I’m going to have to remember this.

I actually have never tried it, I just thought about it as I came across some forums about strategic bombing. But yeah, I was thinking the same way you are. Too bad Germany has only one strat bomber to do it in G1.

• Customizer

Don’t forget, Tac Bombers can also SBR naval and air bases.  It is only ICs that are restricted to being bombed by strategic bombers only.

• @KillOFzee:

Thanks for clarifying, I figure this will be a pretty clever strategy for a possible sea-lion.

I don’t think you understood his answer…

Scrambling is declared before strategic bombing raids are done.  If you choose to strategic bomb an airbase AND attack a seazone adjacent to the airbase the defender has the following options:

1. Scramble to the seazone
    2. Intercept the SBR
    3. Both (some to each, not planes performing double duty)
    4. None.

Even if you managed to do maximum damage in the SBR run that follows (but is prior to general combat), you cannot prevent the planes from scrambling to the seazone.  If he declared the fighters to scramble to defend the seazone, it’s already been done and they’re already in the seazone by the time you roll for your SBR on the airbase.

So yes, the base will perhaps take a pounding, but because repair is done prior at the beginning of the UK turn, it will be repaired by the next German turn. and the least that the UK lost is 3 IPCs in repair on their turn (all it takes to make it fully functional again)  It’s near impossible to actually shut a base down in a way that is meaningful for their defense in a single turn - it’s mainly just a money drain.

However, if two players teamed up, the strategic bombing becomes more dangerous.  If Italy somehow bombed a UK airfield, it could not possibly be repaired before Germany could somehow exploit it.

So it’s not really a good choice:  Germany leaves a bomber out of a larger fight, but London is still able to scramble 3 planes, and the worst that happens is that the UK needs to repair.  No impact on their ability to scramble at all.

• Sponsor

Sending a strategic bomber and/or a tac bomber to bomb airfields to prevent a scramble that may or maynot happen, really spreads the Luftwaffe thin in a turn where there are a lot of must have battles going on for Germany. I recently accomplished sea lion without attacking sea zone 110 in G1 and it gave me good odds everywhere that mattered without risking a single aircraft (much needed when the troops land in London).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m