• Hi guys bought europe and really love the game but I have two problems with the rules so far that have got me confused.

1. If a sea zone contains an enemy submarine and I choose to attack that submarine with say a cruiser and a battleship, it says in the rules that when no destroyer is present the submarine can do a surprise strike and submerge. Now this reads to me that their is no point in attacking a sub unless you have a destroyer present because the submarine can just submerge during stage 2 and not even fight.

2. Moving aircraft carriers during the combat move phase. I dont understand what the point is in moving an aircraft carrier into a hostile sea zone can achieve as it has no attack value. I can understand moving the planes off an aircraft carrier into a hostile sea zone to attack and then landing back during the non combat move stage. But the rules indicate moving a carrier into a hostile sea zone is a special move, however the planes ( apart from friendly cargo ) must take off first  :?

3. When you capture an enemy capital it says you collect any UNSPENT IPC’s however it will always be the maximum amount since their collect income phase assuming each player does all six their phases before moving on to the next player.

Thanks  :-D

• 1. It can do a first strike or submerge, not both at the same time.

2. the aircraft carrier can serve to take up to 2 hits (of course, planes cannot land on it if it gets damaged)

3. heh yeah that sounds funny. I think they mean that if that player had saved IPC’s from before, those also get collected, not only the IPC’s they received their last turn.

edit: welcome here ;)

• 1. So a defending sub can submerge and always ignore battles so their would be no point in attacking them

2. So may as well leave carriers for defensive duties and movement during the non combat movement phase.

Thanks man

• @Cdr_Ian:

1. So a defending sub can submerge and always ignore battles so their would be no point in attacking them

2. So may as well leave carriers for defensive duties and movement during the non combat movement phase.

Thanks man

you’re welcome

By the way, there can be some specific cases that you may need/choose to sacrifice an aircraft, for example with the threat of a Sealion, the UK may want to move the Gibraltar Aircraft carrier in with an air-attack on SZ112 (if the German fleet, with transporters is positioned there). The 2 extra hits may give the air force the needed slack to take out the enemy fleet, and surviving air units can still land in the UK.
    Or, more extreme, if Germany puts surface fleet in SZ112 and ungarded transporters in SZ113, then those can be taken out by 1 single fighter, in case it has a place to land, so for that you would need the carrier to attack SZ110 (in case it is occupied), even though it is doomed*. In this case you’d probably sacrifice both plane and carrier, so it would only be worth it if there are enough transports to be taken (5 or more, i suppose).

*i’m not sure if it can attack solo or only accompanied by another unit

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m