• Customizer

Please excuse me if this has already been covered, but it came up in a game recently.
    In the Europe 1940 rulebook, page 8, the rules state “The Sahara Desert and Pripet Marshes are impassable and may not be moved into or through by any units.”

What I want to know, does this rule apply to ground units only?  In other words, can aircraft fly over these areas, particularly the Sahara Desert?  I have noticed that there are borders that you can see through the Sahara (for example, Libya is adjacent to French Central Africa).  Could an aircraft based in Libya fly OVER the Sahara to land in or attack French Central Africa?  
    If not, then why?
    This question could also include the Himalayas area on the Pacific map.

• @knp7765:

Please excuse me if this has already been covered, but it came up in a game recently.
    In the Europe 1940 rulebook, page 8, the rules state “The Sahara Desert and Pripet Marshes are impassable and may not be moved into or through by any units.”

What I want to know, does this rule apply to ground units only?  In other words, can aircraft fly over these areas, particularly the Sahara Desert?  I have noticed that there are borders that you can see through the Sahara (for example, Libya is adjacent to French Central Africa).  Could an aircraft based in Libya fly OVER the Sahara to land in or attack French Central Africa?  
    If not, then why?
    This question could also include the Himalayas area on the Pacific map.

Aircraft units can’t pass in those locations, why? I didn’t made the game

• Yes, “any units” does include air units, so no, planes cannot fly from Libya to Central Africa.

The Pripet Marshes were impassable to ground troops, but the game mechanic that they are impassable to aircraft doesn’t make a difference, as all the adjacent territories touch each other so that the distance a plane would have to fly is exactly the same.  Go ahead and look at it and count.  Bottom line - Pripet Marshes only limits the mobility and positioning of ground troops, as it did historically, but does not affect aircraft in the game at all.

The Himalayas and the Sahara are impassable due to technological limitations of the time.  The Himalayas were too high for planes of the time to fly over and the Sahara was too large, hot, and dry for planes to fly across.  Yes, there were a few that did it during World War II, but it was only a few and the scale of Axis & Allies Global is too large to accommodate those few.  Bottom line - air units in A&A represent large numbers of planes, something on the line of a whole squadron, and in World War II there were not whole squadrons of planes that were able to cross these areas, therefore, they are impassable.

• Customizer

Ah, now I understand.  I get so wrapped up in the game sometimes that I forget the time period and limitations of the equipment of that time.  Thanks for the answer.

• No problem.  8-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m